mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Working with Mainstage with MOXF?"

Posted on: May 31, 2016 @ 03:27 PM
jmoody16
Total Posts:  3
Joined  05-31-2016

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone in the forum has found a way for their MOXF keyboard to work well with Mainstage?  I would like to be able to use the MOXF as a controller sometimes - mainly activating Omnisphere and Kontakt sounds.

Thanks!

John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2016 @ 09:54 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The knobs have the following CCs (except in Master mode):

When the [TONE 1] lamp is turned on:
Knob 1 CUTOFF CC 74
Knob 2 RESONANCE CC 71
Knob 4 PORTAMENTO CC 5

When the [TONE 2] lamp is turned on:
Knob 1 ATTACK CC 73
Knob 2 DECAY CC 75
Knob 3 SUSTAIN CC 31
Knob 4 RELEASE CC 72

When the [TONE 3] lamp is turned on:
Knob 1 VOLUME CC 7
Knob 2 PAN CC 10
Knob 3 ASSIGN 1 any from 1-95 (global) default 16
Knob 4 ASSIGN 2 any from 1-95 (global) default 17

When the [EFFECT] lamp is turned on:
Knob 6 CHO SEND CC 91
Knob 8 REV SEND CC 93

You can assign the AF buttons to any CC from 1-95 (global). These are the only buttons that can send CCs.

The assignable footswitch can be assigned to any CC from 1-95 (global).

For Master mode buttons, see p.132 of the Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2016 @ 07:01 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

Meatball - I thought I just read over on the XF page you say that MOXF knobs don’t send any midi data?  Did I misunderstand or misread?

I’m “this” close to buyin a MOXF6 for an easy travel gig board - nice and light, I can load alot of my XF7 work in there (and just modify some performances due to different #keys). 

I was thinking I would program my set it up in Master mode so I could play MOXF voices via both the MOXF plus a second controller board connected via midi? 

Can you (or anyone?) advise how I can learn how to set this up simply?  I’ve read the manuals about zones etc, I don’t really get what its telling me.  My expectation is I won’t always know what the controller board is until I arrive to town, so want to be ready to go with any surprise midi board.

Simple example:

MOXF:  play MOXF Voice 1 and 2, split on the 61 keys
Controller:  Play MOXF Piano Voice (3?)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2016 @ 09:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
motidave - 01 June 2016 07:01 PM

[...]Can you (or anyone?) advise how I can learn how to set this up simply?  I’ve read the manuals about zones etc, I don’t really get what its telling me.  My expectation is I won’t always know what the controller board is until I arrive to town, so want to be ready to go with any surprise midi board.

Simple example:

Depending on how many setups you’d need per gig, Song/Pattern Mixings might be a way to go. It should work as long as the controller board allows choice of MIDI transmit channel.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_moxf_mixing_program_for_quick_access_to_multiple_sounds_in_a_live_s

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471124/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2016 @ 10:34 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
motidave - 01 June 2016 07:01 PM

Meatball - I thought I just read over on the XF page you say that MOXF knobs don’t send any midi data?  Did I misunderstand or misread?

Yes, you misread...BUTTONS in general do not send MIDI data. The knobs do, but they’re not reassignable (except for Assign 1 & 2...doh) like on generic controllers.

I’m “this” close to buyin a MOXF6 for an easy travel gig board I would program my set it up in Master mode so I could play MOXF voices via both the MOXF plus a second controller board connected via midi?

What is the second controller for? Just giving you 88 keys?

Simple example:

That’s easy.

1. The Master points to a Song or Pattern (with nothing in it...just a mixing).
2. You set up the mixing with your three voices in three of the song/pattern tracks
3. You mystery controller is set to the channel you use for the piano voice (hint: making it channel 1 is a good idea!)
4. The XF zones point to the MIDI channels for the other two voices (probably 2 and 3). You don’t need a zone set for the piano voice!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2016 @ 02:44 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

Awesome - thanks!  yes a second controller would just be to compensate for the cramped nature of a single 61.  Maybe piano, though the primary band for this need is actually alot more synth based.  next fly-in gig is July 16 so I have time.

on my XF7, I’ve cut down split spreads and omitted notes at times, or play out of position (inversions), or intentionally mistune so I can, for ex, play an A on a D key, because of limited space.  a few songs I switch voices (I program Elements via All AF Off, AF1 to get voices to “turn on/off” and use a footswitch).  But with a 76 i’ve sort of worked out how to fit most of what I want, enough so audience doesn’t notice.  dropping to 61 keys will require I either have to do alot more real-time switching of voices or add a seocnd controller to take up some of that key-spread need.

Channel 1 is typically the default midi out (send) channel for controllers, yeah?  I wasn’t sure if I would have to use other channels and then have to burrow into the controller’s system.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2016 @ 02:59 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

Screw it - just did it.  ordered.  be here next week.  now I need to order an FM-07

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2016 @ 05:46 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

Meatball - back to your hint to assign the external to Channel 1.  Is that because when you set most boards local control = off, they will default to send their key on/key off messages on Midi Channel 1 unless its specifially changed?

I was planning to connect via 5-pin:  controller board Midi out to MOXF midi in.  I won’t always know what board is at these venues, and I’m new to midi routing.

(er, except for all of the midi routing thats going on inside my XF or MOXF without my knowlege, that is!)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using multiple arps live in mix mode?
Next Topic:

"Arranger" MOXF question ››