mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "User banks and flash memory questions"

Posted on: September 25, 2015 @ 05:38 PM
First Motif
Total Posts:  2
Joined  09-25-2015

Every time I add new voices it erases the voices I have in some of the user banks, even when I point it to the flash drives. I bought an extra flash board thinking that I could just add more voices on it, while keeping everything I already have in my user banks. Is this even possible?

This is my first Motif. I have an xf8 WH with 1.5G flash. My last keyboard was a Ensoniq EPS from the late 80’s. So take it easy on me please. I tried following the book, but there is something I’m not getting.

I saved all to a USB drive, and I loaded it all back by the book. However, does everything that is loaded to flash memory “have” to use up a user bank to access it?

How can I use a voice in a pattern from user bank 3, and then load the CS80, which will take over user bank 3? Yes, I can load it to a different bank, but what if I want to keep that bank too? Can sounds that I want to keep, say in user banks 2 thru 4 be placed into slots in user bank 1, that I don’t want to keep?

Also, the book says “user banks 2-4 include the ones picked up from the Preset Voices.” Does this mean that the exact voices found in user banks 2-4 can also be found in the preset voices, with the same name and everything?

Thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2015 @ 11:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
First Motif - 25 September 2015 05:38 PM

Every time I add new voices it erases the voices I have in some of the user banks, even when I point it to the flash drives. I bought an extra flash board thinking that I could just add more voices on it, while keeping everything I already have in my user banks. Is this even possible?

Welcome to the forum.

The factory Voices your XF came with all use one or more of the 3,977 Waveforms that are in ROM. The optional flash modules provide storage space for additional Waveforms/Samples. This might help with understanding the flash modules:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_flash_memory_expansion_modules

Loading new Voices will overwrite ones previously stored in their locations. The four User Voice banks have a total of 512 locations, and new Voices loaded from a file have to be stored in those locations. If the file includes Waveforms associated with the Voices, those Waveforms can be installed to the optional flash memory modules. No Voices can be stored in a flash module.

First Motif -

This is my first Motif. I have an xf8 WH with 1.5G flash. My last keyboard was a Ensoniq EPS from the late 80’s. So take it easy on me please. I tried following the book, but there is something I’m not getting.

Most of us on this forum do take it easy.  :-)

You mentioned “the book”. Just in case you’re not aware of it, besides the Owner’s Manual, there’s a PDF Reference Manual (and a Data List and a Synthesizer Parameter Manual). If you don’t have the Reference Manual (it’s typically on a disc that comes with the XF), you can download it:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/48531

First Motif -

I saved all to a USB drive, and I loaded it all back by the book. However, does everything that is loaded to flash memory “have” to use up a user bank to access it?

New Voices loaded from a file “have” to be stored in a User bank, whether or not they have associated Waveforms that will be installed in a flash module. (I don’t want to complicate things right now, but there are also 256 Mixing Voice locations in sequencer modes (Song/Pattern), which can be used for storing Voices if the 512 Normal Voice locations prove insufficient.)

First Motif -

How can I use a voice in a pattern from user bank 3, and then load the CS80, which will take over user bank 3? Yes, I can load it to a different bank, but what if I want to keep that bank too? Can sounds that I want to keep, say in user banks 2 thru 4 be placed into slots in user bank 1, that I don’t want to keep?

Also, the book says “user banks 2-4 include the ones picked up from the Preset Voices.” Does this mean that the exact voices found in user banks 2-4 can also be found in the preset voices, with the same name and everything?

Yes, all the Voices in User banks 2-4 are exact copies of ones found in Preset banks. The Voices in factory Bank 1 are unique, and aren’t in any Preset bank.

You can easily move any Voice to another User bank location. Just press [STORE] and then select the new destination. Of course, the Voice previously at the destination will be overwritten.

Keep in mind that if you move a Voice to another location, any Performances using it will then point to the wrong Voice, and will have to be edited to correct that situation.

I don’t personally use the John Melas software, but you might find it helpful for your purposes.

-------------------

By the way, in order to avoid confusion between the models, it’s best to post things concerning the XF in its own forum:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewforum/161/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2015 @ 09:54 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You might want to post in the XF forum next time...this is the XS forum ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2015 @ 09:39 PM
First Motif
Total Posts:  2
Joined  09-25-2015

Thanks for your help. I’ve got a lot to learn.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2015 @ 06:54 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
First Motif - 28 September 2015 09:39 PM

Thanks for your help. I’ve got a lot to learn.

You’re welcome - please post whenever anything is unclear.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ B’s Knees Voice Library not what I purchased
Next Topic:

XSpand Your World ››