mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Multi-track recording from the MOTIF to the ipad"

Posted on: July 22, 2015 @ 11:41 AM
sammyhunk
Total Posts:  23
Joined  10-07-2013

Hello fellow Motifators,

Like many of you I have started to use my iPad more and more for music production (love Auria!) and am looking to integrate the iPad more effectively into my music production workflow. I compose tones and music on my MOTIF XF6 - usually pattern or song mode - do some mixing/effects on the MOTIF, and then want to export the tracks into my iPad for final mixing and mastering.

Right now, I am doing this one track at a time through the output jack from the MOTiF and iPad audio interface (like irig pro). This is not the most efficient process - especially considering some of my songs have 16 tracks! What I want to know is - is there a better way to export multiple tracks simultaneously to a DAW on the iPad? Should I buy the FireWire card, and will it help me to do this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I love my MOTIF, but right now my workflow is being severely hindered.

Awaiting your responses…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2015 @ 05:12 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

You might want to ask on the Auria forum if folks are recording multiple tracks or more without using a Mac or PC (assuming that’s your situation).

If the Motif can export to an AAF file, then you can import that file into Auria…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2015 @ 03:47 AM
sammyhunk
Joined  10-07-2013

Thanks for your reply. I know that folks use Auria to record multiple tracks using an audio interface...but just not sure if it is possible from the MOTIF. That is what I really want to do…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2015 @ 10:05 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013

As far as I know, the only Yamaha music production workstation that can send and receive audio directly with the iPad is the MOXF as the 1.10 firmware upgrade provides class compliant audio and midi functionality. 

Here’s a thread that discusses it http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472904/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2015 @ 01:45 PM
sammyhunk
Joined  10-07-2013

Thanks Jazz! Surprising that the MOXF has the feature but the flagship MOTIF doesn’t! Is there a plan to have iPad integration with the MOTIF in the future?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2015 @ 07:21 PM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
sammyhunk - 24 July 2015 01:45 PM

Thanks Jazz! Surprising that the MOXF has the feature but the flagship MOTIF doesn’t!

Well, seems to be a reasonable choice to me, actually: the MOXF is better positioned to be a keyboard for a portable rig that would benefit from direct iPad “audio in” connectivity. 

Have an iPad Air myself; have yet to find a current synth with built-in class compliant audio interface other than the MOXF.  Seems this was explored and wasn’t embraced by the market (XioSynth, X Station).

The most common uses for iPad now seem to be with a class compliant midi controller, as audio input into a synth (e.g. Drum machine, pads, backing loops) or as a component in a studio rig with an audio interface.

Is there a plan to have iPad integration with the MOTIF in the future?

Only the shadow knows 👤

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2015 @ 01:22 PM
sammyhunk
Joined  10-07-2013

Thanks Jazz. So, supposing I buy an audio interface, connect my iPad and MOTIF to it...can I transfer multi-track audio as separate tracks from my Song/Pattern in MOTIF to an iPad DAW like Auria? Currently I am only able to transfer the entire mix from the MOTIF, or have to transfer audio tracks one-by-one by solo-Ing each track.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2015 @ 07:58 PM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
sammyhunk - 26 July 2015 01:22 PM

Thanks Jazz. So, supposing I buy an audio interface, connect my iPad and MOTIF to it...can I transfer multi-track audio as separate tracks from my Song/Pattern in MOTIF to an iPad DAW like Auria? Currently I am only able to transfer the entire mix from the MOTIF, or have to transfer audio tracks one-by-one by solo-Ing each track.

For a definitive answer from a qualified source so you can rest easy, strongly recommend you contact Yamaha Support via email (Click Here).

My understanding is the only way you can transfer multiple tracks on more than 3 audio buses simultaneously with the Motif XF is by (1) buying the FW16E firewire interface, (2) buying a Mac or Windows PC and (3) using the Mac or Windows PC FW driver provided by Yamaha.  In other words, there is no access to more than 3 audio buses (2 stereo or 1 stereo/2 mono) unless you purchase the FW16E, and you cannot connect the FW16E to another audio interface; you must connect it to PC or Mac, and the Yamaha PC or Mac FW driver must be installed.

Of course, you can connect up to three audio buses (L&R;, asL, asR) to an external class compliant audio interface; for a good list of class compliant audio interfaces, check the Auria website (missing the iConnectAudio4+, works, the Auria team has not officially tested)

[EDITED: Corrected and clarified paragraphs above; changes in italics]

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2015 @ 04:46 PM
sammyhunk
Joined  10-07-2013

Thanks. Can you elaborate on what you mean by connecting two audio channels through a class-compliant audio interface? How will two audio channels help me transfer multiple audio tracks simultaneously through the audio interface to my ipad?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2015 @ 01:22 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
sammyhunk - 27 July 2015 04:46 PM

Thanks. Can you elaborate on what you mean by connecting two audio channels through a class-compliant audio interface? How will two audio channels help me transfer multiple audio tracks simultaneously through the audio interface to my ipad?

Hey, Sammy.  Thanks for the question; helped me clarify my thinking.

My understanding is you can transfer (i.e. print audio) multiple Motif XF song/pattern tracks to an iPad on up to 3 audio buses from the Motif XF via a class-compliant audio interface at the same time.

I’ll walk through a scenario; feedback/corrections from forum members very welcome

SCENARIO:  Develop a Multi-Track Pattern Section on Motif XF, Transfer to iPad

Rig: Motif XF, at least 4 in, n out class compliant interface (e.g. iConnectAUDIO4+, FocusRite Scarlett 6i6), iPad Air/2. 

Motif XF Main Outputs (L/Mono, R) connected to 2 audio interface ins, Assignable Output Left connected to 1 audio interface in, Assignable Output Right connected to 1 audio interface in. (Suggest using google search “site:www.motifator.com Motif XF L&R;asL asR” for threads/articles)

Pattern Mixing Setup: Part 1 - Stereo Drums, Part 2 - Mono Bass, Part 3 - Mono Instrument (e.g. Analog Synth Lead, Sax, etc)

Step 1: Allocate Parts to Motif XF Outputs (see Motif XF Reference Manual, Performance Edit, page 110; song and pattern mixing edits are the same)

Part 1; [PATTERN MIXING]->[EDIT]->Click Part 1 Button, [F1] Voice->[SF2] Output->Click on “L&R;” (Main Stereo Line Outputs)
Part 2: [PATTERN MIXING]->[EDIT]->Click Part 2 Button, [F1] Voice->[SF2] Output->Click on “asL” (Mono, Assignable Output Left)
Part 3: [PATTERN MIXING]->[EDIT]->Click Part 3 Button, [F1] Voice->[SF2] Output->Click on “asR” (Mono, Assignable Output Right)

Note that the Assignable Outputs are Post-Insertion Effects, and Pre-Master EQ/System Effects whereas the Main L&R;line outputs include Master EQ and System Effects (Reverb, Delay).  Also, you have the option to assign asL&R;(stereo) to a track when using stereo waveforms, e.g. a stereo Piano, Drum Toms.

Step 2: Create Pattern Section A using Pattern Mixing Parts 1,2,3

1. Lay down Drum pattern on Track 1
2. Lay down Bass line on Track 2
3. Lay down Lead line on Track 3

Step 3: Transfer to iPad

1. Set up Auria Tracks 1,2,3 to receive audio interfaced inputs (Auria Track 1=Interface 1&2;, Track 2=Interface 3, Track 3=Interface 4)
2. Play Pattern, Record in Auria

Don’t ask me how to sync up Motif XF and Auria clocks!

Some Final Notes on iPad as a component in music production workflow

I don’t see the iPad DAWs - in itheir current state - as replacing the Mac/PC DAWs; the iPad DAWs just don’t have the “chops”; maybe Auria Pro when it comes out, probably not.

I currently use the iPad Air 2:

- as a sketchpad when I’m traveling, then transfer to My Windows DAWs to further develop.
- with Yamaha apps (e.g. Performance Editor, Faders) to edit and control my MOX.
- as an instrument “plug-in” (via iConnectAUDIO4+) within a Windows DAW (drum pads, synths)

I am exploring using the iPad Air 2 and MidiDesigner to create controller templates for Ableton Live, Cubase, Native Instruments.

This discussion has introduced me to the possibility of developing pattern and song ideas on the MOX, transferring song/pattern to Windows DAW, then transferring all tracks to iPad DAW (e.g. Cubasis, Auria) via iConnectAUDIO4+ to further develop (e.g. “sweeten") while on the road.

Happy music making!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF7 freeze when changing mode.
Next Topic:

Motif xf6 and Mu1000XG ››