mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pitch/tuning problem"

Posted on: May 12, 2015 @ 09:01 PM
Bill N
Total Posts:  6
Joined  10-31-2012

I am obviously still learning the very basic functions of the XF 8. I am finding that after a few moments of playing it there are pitch problems in octave above middle C--particularly in the A, B flat and B. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a service issue or a setting I’ve inadvertently messed up? The pitch goes so flat at times it seems as if it’s dropping an entire tone. I’ve checked the utility screen and see that there’s no change in the tuning “cents” or anything like that. Might there be a fix for this?

Thanks,

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2015 @ 11:38 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

There really shouldn’t be a legitimate reason for this to happen.

Please don’t take any offense at this, but one thing to eliminate is that you are not accidentally brushing against the ribbon controller with your left hand...even momentarily or lightly.  Sometimes this can happen with your “extra” fingers when using the PB or MW wheels.  BTW, if you touch the ribbon at the lower (left) end, you will make the pitch lower by a whole step on many VOICES!

I raise this as a possibility only because I had annoying pitch variances when I first got my XF8, and I discovered this to be the culprit!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 07:25 AM
Bill N
Joined  10-31-2012

I’m certainly not insulted by the idea that this could be my doing, not least because I appreciate your reply and the idea that there may be a quick fix--but I’m nowhere near the wheels when this is happening, and I have tried adjusting them (by centering them) when it’s going on. I even thought it was a sustain pedal issue/setting (I’m using the FC3) but I don’t think that’s what it is. I suppose I may have to pursue servicing the thing…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 09:47 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Is this an issue with all Voices, etc., or just certain ones?

There are various settings which can introduce random pitch, as well as Micro Tuning which can change the scale. While there could be a failure, before heading for a service shop I’d suggest doing a factory reset if you haven’t already done so. (Be sure to SAVE an “All” file beforehand if you have any of your own material stored in the XF.) If the XF is connected to anything via MIDI (5-pin or USB), disconnect that as well.

If what you’re experiencing still exists after a factory reset, with no external equipment other than amp/speakers attached, on all sounds, then servicing would seem to be appropriate.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 03:16 PM
Bill N
Joined  10-31-2012

It’s with everything I’ve tried so far that has a tone (no percussion). I’ll try the factory reset. Will that erase the sound library I just loaded onto the flashboard...?

I really appreciate everyone’s help.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 03:33 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Samples and Waveforms installed to a flash module won’t be affected by a factory reset. Save an “All” file to a USB drive - it can be either
FL1 “without sample” and FL2 “without sample”
or “with sample” (which will take a bit longer).

Check for the problem after doing the factory reset - don’t reload your “All” file until you determine that.

If the factory reset resolves the problem, you can reload your “All” file as Type “all without system”. Also be sure to set Load options as follows in order to avoid duplicating Waveforms:
FL1 > None
FL2 > None

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2015 @ 03:01 PM
tewner
Total Posts:  3
Joined  05-18-2015

At the risk of sounding crazy, for years now, I’ve been hearing a similar issue on my Motif ES. Notes kinda’ _shift_ after holding them down for a few seconds. The amount of _shift_ varies depending on the note; it’s just by a few cents, but it’s definitely noticeable. It kinda’ sounds like 2 elements are coming in (or out?) of phase, maybe?

As per cmayhle’s suggestion, I made sure that it wasn’t touching anything by accident - one finger on the keyboard. I also checked that the Ribbon controller modified the sound in a “different” way, so that doesn’t seem to be the issue.

I checked Master effects - those were turned “off”.

I’ll try a master reset, although I don’t think that’s gonna make a difference. I’m also going to check that I hear the detune on headphones (to rule out the rest of my equipment), but I’m pretty sure I checked that already…

I know, this sounds insane… I’m sure that this isn’t a defect across-the-board; it’s bad enough that _any_ observant musician would hear. I’d just like to figure this out :-)

-MIke

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 09:23 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
tewner - 18 May 2015 03:01 PM

At the risk of sounding crazy, for years now, I’ve been hearing a similar issue on my Motif ES. Notes kinda’ _shift_ after holding them down for a few seconds. The amount of _shift_ varies depending on the note; it’s just by a few cents, but it’s definitely noticeable. It kinda’ sounds like 2 elements are coming in (or out?) of phase, maybe?

As per cmayhle’s suggestion, I made sure that it wasn’t touching anything by accident - one finger on the keyboard. I also checked that the Ribbon controller modified the sound in a “different” way, so that doesn’t seem to be the issue.

I checked Master effects - those were turned “off”.

I’ll try a master reset, although I don’t think that’s gonna make a difference. I’m also going to check that I hear the detune on headphones (to rule out the rest of my equipment), but I’m pretty sure I checked that already…

I know, this sounds insane… I’m sure that this isn’t a defect across-the-board; it’s bad enough that _any_ observant musician would hear. I’d just like to figure this out :-)

-MIke

This kind of “pitch-y” behavior can often be addressed by re-installing the latest firmware (O.S.) for your particular synthesizer. Even if your synth has the latest O.S., that can sometimes become corrupted and needs to be re-installed.

You can (I believe) find O.S. installers for your synth at yamahasynth.com.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 11:41 AM
mikebengel
Total Posts:  86
Joined  03-16-2013

I was having a similar problem which was connected with a bad pitch wheel(The Potentiometer inside).  The bad pitch wheel was oscillating the sound up and down slightly out of tune.  Turn off the pitch control to isolate if that could be the problem.

Not sure how to turn off pitch control in voice mode.  It’s easy to turn off from pattern mode though.  [Mixer][edit] Then Voice [1].  Then Select [F6] RcvSwitch.  Then you can turn off the pitch bend for that voice.

Hope this helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2015 @ 02:53 PM
bsr2002
Total Posts:  693
Joined  03-30-2004
5pinDIN - 13 May 2015 09:47 AM

Is this an issue with all Voices, etc., or just certain ones?

There are various settings which can introduce random pitch, as well as Micro Tuning which can change the scale. While there could be a failure, before heading for a service shop I’d suggest doing a factory reset if you haven’t already done so. (Be sure to SAVE an “All” file beforehand if you have any of your own material stored in the XF.) If the XF is connected to anything via MIDI (5-pin or USB), disconnect that as well.

If what you’re experiencing still exists after a factory reset, with no external equipment other than amp/speakers attached, on all sounds, then servicing would seem to be appropriate.

My old Motif Classic has been doing this

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2015 @ 08:41 AM
Bill N
Joined  10-31-2012

Here’s an update. I’ve isolated the problem, essentially, to the piano voices. (Most of the acoustic pianos in the preset 1 area are affected; some of the electric, synthesized ones are not. I don’t use the latter.) The problem has spread to most of the notes between the F and C above middle C. It’s particularly bad on the A and B flat--dropping almost an entire whole tone. I’m presuming it’s not possible for me to have inadvertently “edited” the voices just to screw up a few notes, but you all may know better. I’ve done two factory resets and I’ve updated the firmware to the most recent version available on the Yamaha website. I think Father Merrin and Father Karras are both dead, so I have to find an authorized service center. Are there any last minute suggestions from people much smarter than I about these things? One workaround may be to download other acoustic piano voices and use them, but I’m concerned that this problem could spread. Is there anyway to “reload” a permanent voice such as Full Concert Grand, the flagship of Yamaha’s piano pride? Please recall that I’m still very, very much a neophyte with the keyboard.

Thanks,

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2015 @ 01:13 AM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002

There must be something uniquely wrong
with your unit.  A pitch problem that noticeable
would never survive Yamaha’s Quality Control,
it would never make it to a final release version
of the product. Yamaha’s sound programmers
(I’m one of them) would have noticed this from
the very start and protested about it.

You can try a factory reset (Press Utility>Job>
Enter>Yes) to restore the XF’s factory program
set. That is how you “reload” factory voices.
Keep in mind, many of the acoustic piano voices
access the same piano waveforms. So an “error”
in a waveform would appear in any voices that
share the same waveforms.

All that said, no acoustic instrument exhibits
ruler flat dead-on pitch from initial keypress to
the end of its decay. Guitars, for instance, always
go slightly sharp, then flat, then settlr back to
pitch due to how a plucked string behaves.
Pianos are never in exact tune with themselves all
the way across the keyboard. They are “stretch-tuned”
so that the strings all resonate in a manner that
could be described as “close enough for rock and roll”.
In other words, they dont sound dissonant. A piano
with all strings ringing constantly at dead-on perfect
pitch would actually be unpleasant to listen to.
An orchestra of instruments all perfectly in tune with
each other would be a dreadful
experience..you couldnt stand it.

So if the methods recommended here dont fix your
issue, I recommend you take the unit in for service.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2015 @ 11:51 AM
Bill N
Joined  10-31-2012

Mr. P,

I appreciate your response. I’m going to have to presume that the waveform(s) behind the acoustic piano is corrupted. I’ve done 2 factory resets; one before I updated the firmware and one afterwards. I think the problem is getting worse. I will contact a service center for the next move.

I’m aware that pitch isn’t and can’t be absolute--and I also realize that “A” here in North America isn’t quite how it’s tuned in eastern Europe. (For people with perfect pitch, and sensitivity to key signatures and their significance, this can be upsetting.) But a whole tone flat just isn’t tolerable.

I want to get this behind me so I can enjoy your excellent voice libraries, too.

Thanks for your detailed response and your attention to my problem. I really appreciate it.

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2015 @ 01:28 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Bill N - 28 September 2015 08:41 AM

Here’s an update. I’ve isolated the problem, essentially, to the piano voices. (Most of the acoustic pianos in the preset 1 area are affected; some of the electric, synthesized ones are not. I don’t use the latter.) The problem has spread to most of the notes between the F and C above middle C. It’s particularly bad on the A and B flat--dropping almost an entire whole tone. [...]

Do you hear any difference in pitch when playing those keys pianissimo versus forte?

Do you hear any pitch issues if you play PRE6 A01 Nature Sine? Turn off effects (buttons unlit) - and turn modulation down ("notch" in MW all the way towards you).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2015 @ 03:59 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
Bill N - 29 September 2015 11:51 AM

Mr. P,

I appreciate your response. I’m going to have to presume that the waveform(s) behind the acoustic piano is corrupted. I’ve done 2 factory resets; one before I updated the firmware and one afterwards. I think the problem is getting worse. I will contact a service center for the next move.

Bill

The waveform itself isn’t corrupted. If it was, that would have appeared in every single XF. Including mine.

This seems to be some kind of weird address error. You may need to replace your motherboard. A service center will be able to tell you more. It is NOT characteristic of the XF or Yamaha products in general.

[ Ignore ]