mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Controller Types?"

Posted on: January 22, 2015 @ 11:53 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

I’ve been playing with using different controllers to control the common and element LFOs in a saxophone voice I’m working on. I’ve discovered that there seem to be two different types of controllers:

One kind has values from 0 to 127:
Mod Wheel, Foot Control (e.g. FC7 pedal).

Another kind has values from -64 to +64 (maybe not 64, but from negative to positive):
Ribbon, Assign1 knob, Assign2 knob.

Trying to get things to work was very confusing until I noticed this difference.

My question:

Is there any way to change this property of a controller? For instance, can I change the Mod Wheel’s range of values to go from a negative number to a positive number?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2015 @ 01:07 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

No, it can’t be changed as far as I know.

This article discusses it a little bit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2015 @ 01:09 AM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

Is there any way to change this property of a controller? For instance, can I change the Mod Wheel’s range of values to go from a negative number to a positive number?

I am not aware of any way to change this behavior.  Why would you want to change it?  The actual values are rather arbitrary, but there is some meaning behind the values.  Zero represents the nominal case, with positive numbers increasing the value of a parameter, and negative numbers decreasing the value.  So it makes sense for the FC7 to start from zero: you can increase volume, but not decrease it.  Same with modulation.  Pitch, on the other hand, can be increased or decreased.  If you are assigning a parameter to a controller, it should be assigned to an appropriate one, if at all possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2015 @ 01:19 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 22 January 2015 11:53 PM

[...]Is there any way to change this property of a controller? For instance, can I change the Mod Wheel’s range of values to go from a negative number to a positive number?

Parameters can be “biased”, which may or may not accomplish what you have in mind. See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_working_with_and_understanding_physical_controllers
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/189757/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/430627/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2015 @ 01:32 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
Michael Trigoboff - 22 January 2015 11:53 PM

For instance, can I change the Mod Wheel’s range of values to go from a negative number to a positive number?

Edited: I’ve removed my response as it may have been factually incorrect/incomplete and misleading. Sorry for the confusion, time for sleep.

Stone

[ Ignore ]