mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cleaning spit marks off of the MOXF8"

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 02:26 PM
blutoband
Total Posts:  1
Joined  08-14-2005

OK- Just finished reading the thread on cleaning the matte-finish on the MOXF8. A number of suggestions on how to remove grease marks/fingerprints, such as: a damp, microfiber cloth; special electronics surface cleaner; someone even suggested isopropyl alcohol! My problem is that none of these methods (including elbow grease) seems to remove the small spit marks that inevitably show up, as I am also a singer. It’s impossible to avoid these “stains” without wearing a surgical mask.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I might use to remove these marks? (I realize I’ve opened a topic that may inspire a “floodgate” of wise-*ss replies, but I like a good laugh, too.)

Thanks already for your suggestions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 02:52 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I use a micro fibre cloth and it works very well but I’m not sure about spit though,

Since it is full of enzymes and protein, you probably need something for medical/hospital use.

Dr Fink was Prince’s keyboard player and now I know why he dressed like a surgeon then.

Image Attachments
doctor_fink_press_175.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 03:24 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
blutoband - 01 September 2014 02:26 PM

[...] My problem is that none of these methods (including elbow grease) seems to remove the small spit marks that inevitably show up, as I am also a singer. It’s impossible to avoid these “stains” without wearing a surgical mask.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I might use to remove these marks? [...]

More than you might want to know about saliva:
http://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/Saliva-more-than-just-water-in-your-mouth/

It would seem that there are at least a couple of possible causes of the “stains”. One possibility is actual damage to the finish due to digestive enzymes, but that isn’t likely to be reversible. Another could be deposition of calcium, phosphate, etc. It would seem that a weak acidic solution might dissolve that. You could try some carbonated water (seltzer) - Carbon Dioxide dissolved in water creates a mild carbonic acid solution - or diluted white vinegar. A microfiber cloth dampened with one or the other might be the answer. (Avoid Club Soda, which often includes salt.)

Since I’ve never had the spittle issue myself, I haven’t tried the above, so I’d suggest trying it on an inconspicuous area first to verify that the finish isn’t affected.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 03:39 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Depends on the spit. If it’s just your regular garden variety it would indeed be enzyme based and an enzyme cleaner should do well.

Perhaps a light coat of carefully applied RAIN-X or fine carnauba wax may be in order once the unit has been cleaned thus providing for easier future cleanings. Taking care of course not to introduce it into unwanted areas.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 04:17 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The concept of protecting the surface after cleaning is worth considering, but Rain-X is formulated to stick to glass, and might not adhere well to the Motif’s finish.

If you want to protect the surface after it’s been cleaned (especially if it’s been somewhat etched), original Armor All, applied sparingly, might help. Again, try first in an inconspicuous area.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 04:47 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Armor All would be cool as well. I’ve actually had a fair measure of success on a variety of surfaces with Rain-X, and as always testing is key. Consumer applied protective coatings have seemed to have gone by the wayside for some time now. I make good use of wax for a number of situations. Great stuff, supports the bee industry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2014 @ 04:22 PM
chris_s
Total Posts:  26
Joined  10-15-2011

I just bought an XF6. The matte black finish looks great but it seems that it could be quite vulnerable to stains, scratches etc. I spent some time looking for protection products that can be used on matte surfaces. One that seems to be highly recommended is 303 Aerospace Protectant. You can see using it on matte surfaces in a high end auto engine in this video:

link

It would have to be done carefully on the top surface (wiped on) since the effect of getting it into the electronics of the keyboard (switches and sliders) is unknown (but maybe not good). I am going to get some and start with a less visible area and then go from there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2014 @ 05:12 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
chris_s - 05 October 2014 04:22 PM

I just bought an XF6. The matte black finish looks great but it seems that it could be quite vulnerable to stains, scratches etc. I spent some time looking for protection products that can be used on matte surfaces. One that seems to be highly recommended is 303 Aerospace Protectant. You can see using it on matte surfaces in a high end auto engine in this video:

link

It would have to be done carefully on the top surface (wiped on) since the effect of getting it into the electronics of the keyboard (switches and sliders) is unknown (but maybe not good). I am going to get some and start with a less visible area and then go from there.

While the product you suggest is a good one for your car, unless you plan to expose your XF to harsh wind, sun, rain, and other harmful exterior elements, I am not sure about wiping this on your brand new keyboard!

I have several of These for my keyboards (smaller size Here), and if used with routine consistency anytime they are not being played, they do a great job in protecting from incidental pollutants.

And yes, I realize this does not address the issue raise by the OP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2014 @ 06:19 PM
chris_s
Total Posts:  26
Joined  10-15-2011

I don’t have a dust cover now but I intend to get one. I don’t know yet whether putting a surface protectant on the keyboard is a good idea or not. I’m going to move cautiously on it.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF7 faders
Next Topic:

Motif Classic Voices ››