mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF vs. S90XS"

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 05:00 PM
itsallkosher
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-21-2014

Hi guys. I’m brand new to the forums. I’ve been searching and reading lots of posts as a guest and figured I would finally join! I’m really looking into buying an MOXF8. I’m trying to find out as much as I can before I pull the trigger though. I understand that it’s based on the Motif XF but without the ability to sample. What is the main difference between the MOXF and the S90XS then? I know that S90 has some faders, more weighted keys, metal case, etc. but doesn’t it also have the same sounds as the Motif XS and MOXF? Or am I missing something.

I might hold off on the flash board for a bit while I get accustomed to the board and its own sounds. But can I load sounds onto an external flash drive/hard drive and have the board “load” them knowing that it will all disappear after a rest of the keyboard? I’m still unsure of how the voices relates to sounds...maybe someone can point me toward a good explanation of the sounds/voices/presets. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 05:38 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Welcome to the forums!

The differences are enough to have an entirely different product.

They are both based on the top of the line, Motif Series. The S-series (2009) are equivalent to the Motif XS (2007), while the MOXF (2013) are based on the Motif XF (2011).

The S-Series are Stage Synths, the concept of quick access and on-stage performance are the focus. It features the same Balanced Hammer w/AfterTouch as the 88 key Motif, and as you mentioned, metal chassis, standard IEC power cable, but in depth editing and Sequence creation must be handled via a computer. Many folks miss this point, although it has the same 8 Element (Oscillator) sound engine as the Motif and MOXF, it does not have the ability to edit at the Element level without a computer and the dedicated S90 XS/S70 XS Editor. Lighted front panel buttons make using this product easy on-stage. Playback sequencer only, 192MB of on board storage for files, .mid and/or .wav files.

The MOXF is the cost down version of the Motif series; lighter in weight, external power supply. It features a very similar Pattern and Song Sequencer, and it shares the potential FLASH BOARD expansion (albeit to a 1GB maximum instead of 2GB).  It still does not sample, but will the Melas Waveform Editor (sold separately) you can create custom samples and load them to the optional FLASH BOARD. Full editing is available right on board the MOXF. Also included are some of the quick access features found in the S-Series (Performance Creator). The 88 key weighted action on the MOXF is more of a piano-style action in that it has graded weights as play up the range the keys are lighter. The MOXF action does not send AfterTouch. But full in depth editing down to the individual a Element is available on-board.

Like anything you purchase, it is worth listing what you need to do and match the features that most appeal. They both sound great, both play great, but each is focused on a particular use case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 08:16 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

One of the big differences are the new waveforms and ability to expand the sound palette with the Flash memory board.  Yes, the MOXF has the same sounds as the S90, but includes another bank of almost all new sounds using the extra waveforms in the MOXF that are NOT available on the S90.  Both the new waveforms and the Flash board allow you to create new sounds you may not otherwise be able to create on the S90.

There is a weight difference.  49.6 lbs (S90) vs. 32.85 lbs. (MOXF8).  But with the heavier weight, you do get a strong, metal casing and built-in power as opposed to the external AC power supply with the MOXF.

To re-iterate Bad_Mister, the MOXF has on board editing of all parameters, down to the individual voice element.  The S90 lets you edit the general COMMON data like overall attack, release, filter cutoff, etc.  To fully edit on the S90 will require a computer and the Editor (free from Yamaha).

The MOXF has a stereo input you can mix in with the board.  The S90 has a single/mono input.

Pitch/Mod wheels are on the top left of the MOXF8 and bottom left next to the keys on the S90.

Like Bad_Mister said, you need to figure out how you will be using it and what your needs are.  The MOXF has more expandability and is lighter.  Even without the Flash module, the S90 is still an excellent board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 10:00 AM
itsallkosher
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-21-2014

Thanks so much guys! I’m really diggin’ the 32lbs of the MOXF8. I do a lot of theatre gigs and most of the time use MainStage. I would like some more on-demand, more accessible sounds than having to connect the keyboard to the computer, launch and application, etc.

Is the Melas Waveform Editor terribly difficult to figure out? I’m wondering what the comparison is between software synths and voices on the keyboard itself. For example, how does Ivory II (which I own and use with MainStage) compare to the pianos on the MOXF? Just for the few Ivory pianos, an enormous amount of memory is needed as opposed to how much space pianos on the MOXF (and other keyboards) take up. I assume there is no way to turn a software instrument (Kontakt, EXS24, etc) into something that can be loaded onto the flash card for the MOXF...? Sorry if these questions are elementary!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 11:23 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
itsallkosher - 22 April 2014 10:00 AM

Thanks so much guys! I’m really diggin’ the 32lbs of the MOXF8. I do a lot of theatre gigs and most of the time use MainStage. I would like some more on-demand, more accessible sounds than having to connect the keyboard to the computer, launch and application, etc.

Is the Melas Waveform Editor terribly difficult to figure out? I’m wondering what the comparison is between software synths and voices on the keyboard itself. For example, how does Ivory II (which I own and use with MainStage) compare to the pianos on the MOXF? Just for the few Ivory pianos, an enormous amount of memory is needed as opposed to how much space pianos on the MOXF (and other keyboards) take up. I assume there is no way to turn a software instrument (Kontakt, EXS24, etc) into something that can be loaded onto the flash card for the MOXF...? Sorry if these questions are elementary!

The Melas editor isn’t going to allow you instant live access to an expanded sound pallette, it isn’t like MainStage. It’s great for editing
and auditioning sounds “at home”. No, you can’t load software instruments
like Ivory to the MO XF. Software VI’s like that depend on something called “disk streaming” which the MO XF doesn’t feature.

Take it from a veteran of 45 years dealing with live keyboards - you’re
stuck with connecting your computer and launching applications. Others might say well there are always other solutions, like the Muse Receptor, but it still involves connecting another piece of gear AND your laptop, if you want to even do a simple thing like see what patches you have called up. Besides, what is cooler than having
your Apple laptop onstage with the glowing white logo beaming out over
the audience? Whenever I see that, I think, “dude knows what time it is”.

The way I see it, a laptop in a live keyboard rig is as necessary as
a hi-hat is for a drummer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 03:34 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I assume there is no way to turn a software instrument (Kontakt, EXS24, etc) into something that can be loaded onto the flash card for the MOXF...? Sorry if these questions are elementary!

Ultimately this is the exact kind of thinking that spurred the concept of the Flash Board

Worth a watch:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/videos/view/chick_corea_talks_about_his_mark_v_sample_library

No, you will not be able to transfer a commercially available soft synth to a Flash Board… That is not how it works. It is hardware companies that are in the business of providing boutique sounds in real (actual) musical instruments.

When you play the cutting edge versions of where acoustic piano sampling technology has come, you start to realize that a synth designed to fill many roles is not going to be as on that edge as a dedicated hardware instrument. Play a Yamaha Avant Grand, if at all possible. Scary experience, and a musical instrument. There are other cutting edge technologies doing pianos and at Yamaha at least there are “portable” versions as well.

The CP4 is about priced at the level of what it takes to play a soft virtual piano (of course, I count the computer, you cannot play a virtual piano without one). And while the CP4 is not strictly speaking a dedicated acoustic piano, it does apply the majority of its technical muscle at being a piano, a Rhodes, a Wurly, and a CP80… Specifically.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ USB interface drops
Next Topic:

MOXF connection to iPad using camera connection kit ››