mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cannot record audio from the Motif XS inputs while Motif XS VST is on in Cubase. Why?"

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 09:10 AM
emanuelsj
Total Posts:  121
Joined  08-20-2011

I want to record audio, from a microphone that it’s plugged into to my XS audio inputs, within Cubase 7.5 When I’m not using Motif XS VST in the project I can normally record audio from the mic (in “VST Connections - Inputs” I have “Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO” automatically selected under “Audio Device” column).

The problem occurs when I add a new instrument track, with “Motif XS VST” on it. If I reopen VST Connections - Inputs (with F4), the “Audio Device” is not mapped anymore, and bellow it says “Not Connected”. If I click “Not Connected”, a drop-down menu will appear and I can see Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO over there, but when I click it (in order to enable it), that field will remain unchanged, showing “Not Connected” and of course, I cannot record audio in Cubase from the mic.

In Motif XS VST pannel, that I use the Pattern mode, I can route any of the 16 tracks by using the Output Select , but I wasn’t able to find anything that will allow me to set the Inputs channels.

Should I configure Motif XS VST in a certain way, in order to enable “Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO” under “VST Connections - Inputs”, so that I can record audio from the XS audio input?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 07:18 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Should I configure Motif XS VST in a certain way, in order to enable “Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO” under “VST Connections - Inputs”, so that I can record audio from the XS audio input?

Yes.

If this was analog cabling it would be oh so obvious. Because the connects are virtual, I guess, it’s more confusing.

The reason you cannot connect the Mic under VST CONNECTIONS > Inputs tab is because a connection is already occupying that input. That is, it is in use elsewhere.

In the analog cabling world you see something already plugged into the jack you want to use and you would simply undo the previous connection, then connect you new device.

Where is it in use?

Go to the MOTIF XS EDITOR VST > File > VSTi Setup > release the FW port you wish to use. If it is in use here inside the VSTi you will not be able to select it in the VST CONNECTION > INPUTS tab.

Once you release from the VSTi, it becomes available for use. Like any input, once something is plugged in you can’t plug something else into the same input jack… As I mentioned, on an analog input jack you’d see it was occupied because a cable would be sticking out of it

In Cubase, go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP… > VST AUDIO SYSTEM > Yamaha Steinberg FW > here you can see which INPUT/OUTPUT ports are active or inactive at any time. Active means it is in use; Inactive means it is available.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2014 @ 01:09 AM
emanuelsj
Total Posts:  121
Joined  08-20-2011

Bad_Mister, once again I have to say “thank you”, for your help - which solved my problem, by the way.

I will provide a screenshot of the new setup here - in case anyone else is facing the same trouble. I would also kindly ask you to take a look yourself on it, to confirm if I did what I had to (anyway I’m able to record audio now from the audio inputs, WITH Motif XS VST in the project).

I also went to Cubase/Device Setup/Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO in order to enable those input ports (they were not enabled previously), and since those ports were used by the Motif XS VST, Cubase prompted me that the ports were in use and asked me if I’m sure I want to continue to activate the ports anyway. I forced the setup and I pressed “Yes” and I was able to select the Steinberg FW Asio device in VST Connections Inputs, but I was still not able to record. Since the problem occurred only when Motif XS VST was on, I understood that this was the place I had to verify, so I tried to find how to re-route the ports. I arrived to the same VSTi Setup screen but I thought those ports in the middle of the screen were all output ports, so I haven’t changed anything. Now I wonder myself… weren’t they all output ports?

Image Attachments
Motif XS VST input Setup.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pipe Organ pack for Motif XS
Next Topic:

Xs versus xf ››