mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF8 vs. Tyros5"

Posted on: January 26, 2014 @ 02:14 PM
XSMercedes
Total Posts:  62
Joined  07-03-2007

I have been watching the videos on the new Tyros5 and am impressed with the sounds and creative performances. Since I am more interested in performing than music production, I was wondering if I would be happier selling the XF and buying the 71 Key Tyros5 (assuming size and weight were not issues). On the one hand I am familiar with the XF, am satisfied with its sounds and keyboard and like Master Mode where I can control volumes separately on internal and external sounds. I also like its arpeggios.

On the other hand, the Tyros sounds incredible, but I do not know anything about it such as are there arpeggios, performance zones, a master mode, can I sequence midi as with the XF, etc.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this discussion, but I do not know where else to post it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2014 @ 02:20 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I can’t offer much insight, but hopefully others will be able to.

You might want to download the Tyros5 manuals:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=europe.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16084&category;_id3=&product_id=1883955

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2014 @ 02:38 PM
XSMercedes
Joined  07-03-2007

Thank you 5pD. As always you are way ahead of the curve. I did not know these manuals were available. The OM should answer many of my questions, although I would still like to know what others think about which keyboard would best suit a performer’s needs if he/she could only have one keyboard and size, weight or cost was not an issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2014 @ 12:07 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

As Motif XS8 and a TYROS5 owner I can tell you both are totally different synth’s. The TYROS5 or any other TYROS is a great performance synth or for a quick result by trying out compositions. It has not the same flexability as the MOTIF synth’s like the XS or XF. Thatswhy I have both.

TYROS for a quick and easy result, also combining together with the MOTIF’s getting unlimitted possibilities. TYROS5 has great sounds but less midi and sequencer power. When you are comfortable in creating music on audio tracks using a DAW the TYROS5 is great to have and to use.

Never I would get rid of my MOTIFXS8. If you can afford it, just buy the T5 and add it to your MOTIF synth.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2014 @ 01:50 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I don’t want to offend anyone but…

The Tyros and other arranger-type keyboards are… in a nutshell… geared towards the “one man band” market.

Arranger keyboards are focused on providing the sophisticated accompaniment to your personal performance contributions… Sort of like the machine plays along with your lead sounds and becomes your “backing band”.

The flip side of that:  The deep programmability you possess with the XF is replaced with the finite (limited) algorithms of the Tyros.  It will always follow what you play with a predictable ‘flavor’.

Obviously this resonates with a certain group of users.

If that describes your personal approach to your music, then it may very well be something to consider.

From your description of how you use your current machine, you are doing tasks well beyond what the Tyros is focused on.

Ultimately only you can decide what is right for you!

Advice :  Go play very extensively on the Tyros before deciding.  The sounds you have heard and love on the Tyros do sound great… I am not disputing that… but that is not the full story. The machine also makes a lot of real-time production decisions for you because that is what it is designed to do!

Tyros is a specific type of (arranger) keyboard for a specific type of user.  Only you can make the determination as to whether you are one of those that benefits from this type of machine.  Personally the Tyros could never replace my XF8!

To use a particularly universal metaphor:  Tyros might be considered the “paint by numbers” alternative to the blank canvas and huge inventory of color that is the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2014 @ 02:34 AM
Vindbaek
Total Posts:  176
Joined  02-21-2009

Not to offend anyone, but an arrangerkeybord is just an advanced music box. If you want creativity, - don´t go there...., but yes it sounds great. There is a difference between playing music YOU made and playing music from a music box. If you are a singer and just need a backingtrack - then ok, I guess. The Motif is about creating music.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2014 @ 06:12 AM
Vindbaek
Total Posts:  176
Joined  02-21-2009

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20189

You could also consider Karma-motif - if you need something thats more like an arranger on your XS/XF. It´s just not 539 “styles” like on the Tyrus :o)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2014 @ 07:35 AM
XSMercedes
Joined  07-03-2007

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I get it and the answer is what I thought. I am first a pianist, classically trained, and want to be able to use my skills and technique to play the keyboard live, solo without accompaniment. However, I also really like playing over 5 drum arpeggios and setting up the XF8 via separate volume controls/controllers in song or master/song modes to sweep in or out 3 sounds, while I play live, in addition to the drum track, such as strings, brass band, keyboard etc. As Vindbaek and Cmayhie discuss, I want to make music and do not want any instrument to play for me. On the other hand, from what I have seen the Tyros5 is a lot of fun and has great sounds. So I agree with Jan Bruijn the Tyros5 would be great to have in addition to the XF8, but not to replace it. Thanks for helping me make this decision. I appreciate it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2014 @ 07:53 AM
rforman61@msn.com
Total Posts:  31
Joined  01-08-2014

On a side note, to answer another question that was more like implied in the starting post, here’s a good place for questions and discussions more on the general world of keyboards of all types from all manufacturers beyond the more Yamaha-centric scope of this excellent forum:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/18/1/The_Keyboard_Corner

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2014 @ 01:28 PM
88Fingers
Total Posts:  77
Joined  09-07-2004

Well, I do have a Tyros 3, and I have a Tyros 5 on the way to me....

I also have the XS8 .... Not the MOTIF XF8 .... but, midi, is midi, in the sense of Tyros 5…

There is one thing that really bugs the heck out of me about any Tyros keyboard ... and that is:

1. On the Motif, when you record a song ... You can actually designated different tempos, time signatures, etc., anywhere, from the beginning, to the end, and anywhere in between. This, to me, is CRUCIAL ... A lot of songs have ritardandos ... a lot of praise music, has mixed time signatures within the middle of the song....

2. On the Tyros, relating to 1, above, it’s not nearly as simple to do, like you can on the Tyros ... For example ... you can’t dive into the “midi” file, even though the tyros has that nice big screen, AND you can even hook up an external monitor to it ... BUT ... you can not edit the midi file like you can on the MOTIF… A perfect example ... you do a klunker in your playing ... On the MOTIF, you have two choices .... a) re-record it, b) fix it, right there, on the spot .... especially if you accidently press two notes at the same time .... BUT ... my point is ... you can’t modify the midi file within the tyros ... You can’t set up your “song” before YOU start recording it, with time signature changes here and there ....

3. That said ... In order to accomplish the multiple time signatures, you would need to create a custom style, that meets the musical criteria, i.e., if you throw a 2/4 bar in the middle of a song, and then go back to 4/4 .... THEN, during your recording, you would switch to that registration at the appropriate time.... WHICH, actually, could be kind of cool.... Hmmm… I might have just eaten my boot on this one....

Funny how ideas come to your head when you’re complaining about something .... when all it probably needed was a little “thinking” about it.

Another thing, now that I’m thinking about it and not complaining, is that you could probably set up your midi template, with just the measures, in the MOTIF, and then, bring it back into the TYROS and start recording the parts.... :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2014 @ 09:22 PM
Vhz
Total Posts:  73
Joined  03-27-2007

Too bad the price of tyros 5 is so high. But its’ voices and live drums grooves put all software and keyboard workstations to shame.

Hopefully yamaha will release a module or some other version of tyros without auto accompaniment, voice harmony, and other live performance / home entertainment features. I would buy it right away (if it’s gonna be under $4k of course )

[ Ignore ]