mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "midi channels"

Posted on: November 28, 2023 @ 09:03 PM
coachz123
Total Posts:  4
Joined  11-28-2023

How do I set different voices to respond on different midi channels in a Performance with 4 parts from an external midi controller please?

Like Piano on ch 1, organ on ch 2, rhodes ch3 and horns on ch4 midi ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2023 @ 06:55 AM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  165
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

Performance mode on the Motif-Rack ES only layers/splits voices on a single MIDI channel. To play different voices on multiple channels, you need to be in Multi mode instead. Voices can then be selected for each of the 16 parts by sending Bank Select and Program Number messages on each of the corresponding 16 MIDI channels.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2023 @ 09:45 AM
coachz123
Joined  11-28-2023

That’s really helpful to know. Thank you so much. We are interested in running two keyboards on different MIDI channels into the motif ES to control separate patches and it seems like it might be a very good solution for us. We have used a midi y cable before that ended up combining two keyboards one on channel 1 and the other keyboard on channel 2 to a single MIDI stream to allow both keyboards to control different patches. Thanks for the ideas and help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2023 @ 03:25 AM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011

You’re very welcome!

Yes, you would need a MIDI merger or similar to “join” the two MIDI outputs, but those are relatively straightforward devices. You basically only have to set each keyboard up to send on different channels, as you described. As long as they do, the Motif-Rack ES shouldn’t have ny problems. If both keyboards can also send Bank Select and Program Number messages, you should be able to select voices remotely and individually.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2023 @ 08:11 AM
coachz123
Joined  11-28-2023

With the Multimode, can I have multiple voices on midi channel 1 with different keyboard split points and also multiple voices on midi channel 2 with different keyboard split points too ?

Multi Mode ?

keyboard 1
ch1 piano C-2 - C-1
ch1 organ D-1 - C0
ch1 strings D0 - C2

keyboard 2
ch1 synth C-2 - C-1
ch1 horns D-1 - C0
ch1 fx D0 - C2

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2023 @ 12:27 PM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011
coachz123 - 30 November 2023 08:11 AM

With the Multimode, can I have multiple voices on midi channel 1 with different keyboard split points and also multiple voices on midi channel 2 with different keyboard split points too ?

Yes, it is possible to have two or more parts - with a different voice for each part - respond to the same MIDI channel in Multi mode. You simply change the “RcvCh” (Receive Channel) parameter for the parts in question. They are normally set so that parts 1-16 correspond to MIDI cnannels 1-16. You then create your splits/layers by adjusting each part’s note range ("NtLmtL/H", Low and High Note Limit). All of these options are found in the Part Edit submode, and the settings you make - including voice, effect or mixing edits - can be stored as a Multi program.

PS: I wouldn’t have both keyboards send on the same channel, as indicated by your table. A typo, obviously, but that would cause both to play (and interrupt) notes and controllers on the same parts/voices.

While the described setup will work with any MIDI keyboard, there are a couple of things to be mindful of: A hold/sustain pedal message on Ch1 will affect all parts receiving on Ch1. This is probably not desirable, so you may want to deactivate Sustain for the parts you don’t want it applied to. The same goes for other MIDI controllers, such as Pitch Bend or Modulation. You can sort this out in the “RcvSw” (Receive Switch) menu in Part Edit submode (hopefully, these part parameters do not override each other when on the same channel; I’ll have to check for myself to be sure). Unfortunately, Volume is not among the controller messages that can be individually filtered out here, so you’ll only be able to adjust volume remotely for all same-channel parts as if they were one. If you need to alter their mutual balance, you’ll have to reach for the Motif-Rack ES front panel.

Alternatively, or just for food of though:

Depending on the type of instruments you’ll be connecting to your Motif-Rack ES, you may be able to create a similar setup at the keyboard end instead; An instrument with “master keyboard” functionality has the ability to split its own keyboard into “zones”. Other terms may be used by some manufacturers, but for our purpose, a zone is essentially a definable range of keys, that can transmit on its own MIDI channel. This allows the instrument to send on multiple MIDI channels, and the keyboardist to play and control multiple external parts from a single keyboard, just like you intend to.

Furthermore, a true master keyboard is able to apply individual settings to each zone, such as transpose its notes, switch between mono/poly mode, turn on and off controllers, etc. It will typically also let you remap physial controllers and set up available sliders/knobs/buttons to control e.g. volume and panning - or even voice selection - for each zone on the fly.

This type of setup has a couple of ergonomical benefits versus the first one. I’m no huge fan of navigating the tiny LCD on my Motif-Rack ES, especially if it sits in a rack and not immediately in front of me. Because the actual split points, MIDI channels, etc. are defined by the keyboard instead of the sound module (which now operates in the standard 1-16 part/channel configuration), they are going to be easier to deal with during a performance. Your table would now look like this:

Keyboard 1:
Zone 1 - Ch1 - Piano ----- C-2 - B-2
Zone 2 - Ch2 - Organ ----- C-1 - B-1
Zone 3 - Ch3 - Strings ---- C0 - C2

keyboard 2:
Zone 1 - Ch4 - Synth ----- C-2 - B-2
Zone 2 - Ch5 - Horns ----- C-1 - B-1
Zone 3 - Ch6 - Fx ----------- C0 - C2

Not all types of keyboards have this zone function, and some can only split their keyboard using internal sounds. For reference, my Yamaha S90 ES, which has a dedicated Master mode, can handle four external zones. My USB-powered Edirol PCR-800 is limited to two (upper and lower), but has more assignable knobs and faders to play with. My old Korg DW8000, on the other hand, has no idea of either concept!

You’ll have to dig into your instrument manuals to know how far you can take what you already have, but your idea is basically a sound one. :)

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2023 @ 05:41 PM
coachz123
Joined  11-28-2023

Thanks so much for the awesome reply.  I get it and you explained perfectly.  You are a great credit to this forum and this information helps us move forward to rock stardom !

thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2024 @ 04:18 PM
rs.felicio
Total Posts:  15
Joined  04-29-2010
- Henry - - 29 November 2023 06:55 AM

Hi,

Performance mode on the Motif-Rack ES only layers/splits voices on a single MIDI channel. To play different voices on multiple channels, you need to be in Multi mode instead. Voices can then be selected for each of the 16 parts by sending Bank Select and Program Number messages on each of the corresponding 16 MIDI channels.

- H -

Dear,
There are any way to control the individual volume on each voice using performance mode (as we can do using “volume button) on S90ES or Motif Es)?
I’m using a novation sl mk3 as a midi keyboard

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2024 @ 05:35 AM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

rs.felicio - 31 March 2024 04:18 PM

Dear,
There are any way to control the individual volume on each voice using performance mode (as we can do using “volume button) on S90ES or Motif Es)? I’m using a novation sl mk3 as a midi keyboard

With a Motif ES or S90ES in Performance mode, the individual part volumes are changed using the CS1-CS4 control sliders. On the Motif-Rack ES, the same parameters can be changed via MIDI using System Exclusive messages (see Motif-Rack ES Data List, p.62).

I don’t think that the Novation SL Mk3 can be configured to send SysEx directly from its faders, so you may need to use some kind of software that takes MIDI Control Change data as input and turns it into SysEx messages.

- H -

[ Ignore ]