mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS6 mLAN16E2 Expansion Board Problems, Removed Still Has Unreliable Start Up Behaviour."

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: September 26, 2015 @ 01:01 PM
Zeussa
Total Posts:  23
Joined  11-12-2008

Thanks for getting back with your observations.
Damn that salt. It destroyed my Yamaha Audio receiver/amp, a great sounding system. Replaced it temporarily with an Onkyo...like no-yo, not near as good sounding.

Yes, I didn’t think the board looked too healthy in general.
Wow I can get an MK61L replacement board, that’s great! Think I’ll grab me one.
A little too much brain melt with 11 keys finding the faults.

How would I go about ordering an MK61L?

Cheers for the link. Had a peek at that manual.
Seems like a casual stroll in the park installing, end pin connect, screw in, and we’re cranking on all keys again… in an ideal world, this should work.

The mLan board is way busier, but surface integrity looks OK.
So many more components for salt to crystallise, attract humidity and fault a connection.
It’s installation was well sealed from air flow at rear, better than the air gap under the keyboard.
Maybe I’ll track down a less expensive gadget that sucks salt from the room air.

Thanks for the test instructions, I will run the mLan tests tomorrow. Have to be without the FireWire repeater hub, none available around these parts. But I will get one later, might come in handy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2015 @ 08:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Zeussa - 26 September 2015 01:01 PM

Thanks for getting back with your observations.

You’re welcome - the pics made it easy.

Zeussa -

How would I go about ordering an MK61L?

Probably from these folks…
http://au.yamaha.com/en/support/contacts/ (should agree with information on the last page of the XS Owner’s Manual)
... and ask for the part number I gave in my previous post. They might tell you that’s for a Tyros, but just verify it’s an MK61L.

Zeussa -

Cheers for the link. Had a peek at that manual.
Seems like a casual stroll in the park installing, end pin connect, screw in, and we’re cranking on all keys again… in an ideal world, this should work.

Definitely easier than tracking down and repairing numerous breaks in the copper traces.

Let us know the result of testing the MLAN, when you get a chance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2015 @ 11:00 AM
Zeussa
Joined  11-12-2008

Excellent, I will phone them Monday and order the MK61L board.

I installed the mLan board again. Unfortunately it froze at start in the Record/Remote Test boot on the Yamaha colored screen. So I turned it off and removed the board. Seems a definite no go with mLan.

So to cheer myself I loaded the XSpandYourWorld All file, and doodled on the remaining top end. Great sounds...eg. Stereo Doo Choir & AsVibSoft an awesome sax, bluesed up the Sweet Harp with some juicy tube distortion and a little porta, my trusty AKG 701 reveals all.
Set it to Autoload the USB file, and saved changes to the All file.

The new voices and arps have renewed my interest.
Ok while I’m waiting for the board I’ll try to get friendly with the deeper workings.

Thanks again for your help 5pinDIN, got me over a difficult decision hump :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2015 @ 02:30 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome. It’s too bad about the mLAN, but I’m glad the XS6 is looking like it will be otherwise OK once the MK61L is replaced.

Some of those sounds are even better at the bottom end, so you might want to use the OCTAVE DOWN button until the low keys are fixed.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2015 @ 05:59 AM
Zeussa
Joined  11-12-2008

Good news, the replacement board came :)

I nearly had it fixed.
Now the impossible has happened.
The plastic pin spreader came unglued :(

How did they ever put this together?
There is no possible way I’m going to re-glue the plastic spreader without a short with touching pins, or install every pin correctly without bending the fine foil contacts, with absolutely no slack to play with from the multi cable.

Damn, fooled again.

Image Attachments
MOTIF XS KEY BOARD b.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2015 @ 08:29 AM
Zeussa
Joined  11-12-2008

Well I did persevere, and super glued the plastic onto the pins, lightly abraded off any remaining glue from the contact side of pins, and neatly pushed into connector.

Now I’m getting single, doubles and multiple notes from one key press. Just what we need!

Now the other original upper section of keyboard is having dead notes, not present 1 month ago.

Now my usual tenacious patience has me admitting that this Motif XS has transformed itself into a very expensive time wasting piece of useless junk.
I refuse to waste more time, and a tech repair will cost over $500 to fix this magnitude of faults.
I wanted to use the keyboard to access it’s sounds, had the RackXS and sold it, as I use Ableton which does not use VST3

The sad thing is, it had a very passive short life, no adventures anywhere.
It’s like one of those sad stories of someone’s child died with cancer.

I’m thinking put it all in a big box and send it to my Yamaha office in Melbourne 855 miles away, with a note informing them of failure in design, but the weight cost would be ridiculous.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2015 @ 10:14 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m sorry that your repair efforts weren’t successful. I’ve never seen the stiffener become unglued from the flex cable with normal handling.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Help Loading a Performance Patch
Next Topic:

Updates for XS ››