mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New Yamaha Synthesiser Anytime Soon?"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: April 28, 2015 @ 12:10 PM
kb420
Total Posts:  726
Joined  04-11-2004
leonguelpa - 28 April 2015 04:11 AM

if your going to wait for a new sytnh to be released, you might end up waiting for a very very long time.

The XF has been out since 2010. It’s already been a long time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2015 @ 01:06 PM
selfymart
Total Posts:  52
Joined  03-30-2014

I think Motif xf is still a good instrument to own.  I have korg kronos X88, Roland Integra , Motif XF7 , Arturia keylab49(analog sounds are really good) and Maschine studio with Komplete.

Considering that I am a computer geek, I sit mostly with Motif XF and headphone if I am noodling around. otherwise I would end up not making music but other things related to music production.

Depending on what you want to do, you can choose a wide range of synths, We are lucky that way because of the technology advancement.  It is YOU that defines what is good for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2015 @ 06:59 PM
kb420
Total Posts:  726
Joined  04-11-2004

I would love to buy a Motif XF, but I know I’ll be pissed if I buy one now, and they release a new one in a few months.  I think I’m gonna wait until Summer NAMM.  If they don’t release a new Motif by then, I’m buying a Kronos.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2015 @ 07:51 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

This is the Yamaha Motif XF support forum. There is the Motifator.com Mo Lounge forum and many other forums for folks seeking to discuss matters outside support of the Motif XF. These off-topic matters are not respectful of the constructive aim of this Motif XF support forum.

I find it very understandable to want to wait for a successor before making a large commitment. However, your personal purchase intention in light of Yamaha’s failure to meet your timing criteria is off-topic to this forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2015 @ 01:59 AM
Stashman
Total Posts:  79
Joined  08-24-2014
kb420 - 28 April 2015 06:59 PM

I would love to buy a Motif XF, but I know I’ll be pissed if I buy one now, and they release a new one in a few months.  I think I’m gonna wait until Summer NAMM.  If they don’t release a new Motif by then, I’m buying a Kronos.

I doubt the stomp your feet, and hold your breath method is going to make Yamaha move any faster on your request?
You sound like your minds made up and that the XF isn’t for you, otherwise you’d own it?
And you already want that Kronos if Yamaha doesn’t deliver!
Honestly my man, what is it about this new synth/workstation, (that hasn’t even been announced yet and with NO mention of it capabilities) going to do for you that the XF can’t?
The funny thing is, no one really knows what this next machine is going to bring to the table…
Yet, so many people are waiting/holding out, for the unveiling of this mystery synth that keeps people from buying a Motif, or a Kronos, or whatever! Without even knowing what it does!
Every week there’s a new post with, when is it coming out?
Or, it’s been 5 years and still nothing,etc.
Or, just how mad someone is going to be if they release it tomorrow and they’ve already bought something else!
I think it’s been said numerous times, and beaten to death, it’s really all about the music!
If you can’t make music on a Motif XF, what makes you think that you’ll make better music with its predecessor?
Again, this mystery machine that keeps you waiting, that’s going to be the, be all, end all, of workstations!
Believe it, there’s going to be just as many people who are unhappy about what the newest/greatest thing is missing, or should’ve had, etc.

In regards to using the Motif, there is a LOT to learn! Just search ANY topic that comes to mind! Even a topic like this , when’s the next workstation going to arrive!
And you’re bound to get dozens and dozens of posts relative to the question!
There is a tremendous amount of information regarding the XF and SO much to wrap your head around!
You’re most likely going to spend more time getting to know the machine, than playing music, for a good while, if you’re planning to use it for music production. If not, than it must be about the sounds. There’s a lot of good sounds to choose from! And shouldn’t be that hard making a decision based on sounds alone? This new synth your waiting for, does it have better sounds than the Motif? Nobody knows my man! You don’t even know what it is you’re waiting for, but yet willing to hold out HOPING its drastically better than that old crippled 5 year old Motif XF that everybody else has, except you!
For me, it had to sound good first! Secondly, great support system in place! Check! Check!
The Motif fit the bill on so many levels. And does it do everything? Of course not! Nothing will! But for ME it works!
Just let gravity take affect! And when it does you’ll know which decision to make…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2015 @ 11:42 PM
Melodialworks
Total Posts:  157
Joined  06-13-2009
dsetto - 28 April 2015 07:51 PM

This is the Yamaha Motif XF support forum. There is the Motifator.com Mo Lounge forum and many other forums for folks seeking to discuss matters outside support of the Motif XF. These off-topic matters are not respectful of the constructive aim of this Motif XF support forum.

I find it very understandable to want to wait for a successor before making a large commitment. However, your personal purchase intention in light of Yamaha’s failure to meet your timing criteria is off-topic to this forum.

Really? This is a support forum? It is called “Motif XF”. I’ve looked and can’t find a title or description about support. So really ANYTHING about the Motif XF is on-topic, not off-topic.

You know what? Making a decision to purchase an electronic instrument near the end of the typical life cycle IS a big deal. I should know. I just purchased one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2015 @ 11:24 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

I find the toipic a bit boring in the Groundhog (movie) sense that its a recurring ritual here in Motif XF forum to discuss how soon the next is coming out.  Ive been reading its “almost here” for at least 3 yrs but people with no direct knowlege.

I love my XF, i don’t plan to replace it with the next Motif, I’d probably augment my XF with a diff brand that tries to do something different.  but thats just me.  There are A LOT of new boards out since XF came out.  If I was buying today, I prob would have gotten the MOXF for starters. 

I think its a fair topic for here, don’t see a need to shut down the discussion.  if someone doesn’t want to read this topic, just don’t click on the thread.  that said, its a waste of our time, nobody on the forum will have any info

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 02:36 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Melodialworks, did you think my recently strongly voiced sentiment was aimed towards the OP? It wasn’t. I responded to him early on. I appreciated m-afshari’s respectful inquiry, and I responded early on. 

The Motifator tagline at the top of the page indicates it is Support for the Motif Community. Based on that, and the healthy interchanges I see here, it is my interpretation that this is a support forum for the Motif XF. With that interpretation, I think it is ok to remind posters that this is a Motif XF Support forum.

I agree that my previous statement came on strong. And honestly, it was too much just for kb420’s communication of his intention to purchase a Kronos if Yamaha doesn’t meet his timing needs for a new Motif. Instead, my response is aimed towards the general critical attitude that’s frequently voiced by those unfamiliar with a Motif XF. These critical assertions are questionably strong in light of being accompanied by professed unfamiliarity with the XF. They often complain of what the Motif is not, without knowing what it is. And, the Motif is not for everyone. Nothing wrong with that. Not at all. I think things like this are better suited for the Mo Lounger or elsewhere.

That said, I think respectful inquiries by prospective users and insightful criticism and suggestions for XF successors is a vital part of this forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 09:38 AM
selfymart
Total Posts:  52
Joined  03-30-2014
dsetto - 04 May 2015 02:36 AM

Melodialworks, did you think my recently strongly voiced sentiment was aimed towards the OP? It wasn’t. I responded to him early on. I appreciated m-afshari’s respectful inquiry, and I responded early on. 

The Motifator tagline at the top of the page indicates it is Support for the Motif Community. Based on that, and the healthy interchanges I see here, it is my interpretation that this is a support forum for the Motif XF. With that interpretation, I think it is ok to remind posters that this is a Motif XF Support forum.

I agree that my previous statement came on strong. And honestly, it was too much just for kb420’s communication of his intention to purchase a Kronos if Yamaha doesn’t meet his timing needs for a new Motif. Instead, my response is aimed towards the general critical attitude that’s frequently voiced by those unfamiliar with a Motif XF. These critical assertions are questionably strong in light of being accompanied by professed unfamiliarity with the XF. They often complain of what the Motif is not, without knowing what it is. And, the Motif is not for everyone. Nothing wrong with that. Not at all. I think things like this are better suited for the Mo Lounger or elsewhere.

That said, I think respectful inquiries by prospective users and insightful criticism and suggestions for XF successors is a vital part of this forum.

First post was very much related motif xf -on topic. I was in the exact same situation until I purchased xf7. So it is a dilemma for many people. But now going off topic. This is a very helpful forum and I learned a lot. Let’s keep it that way. I know everyone has best intentions in their posts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2015 @ 09:08 AM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-18-2009

Already looking for the next Mofif? Wow, you guys are fast.

I have a XS8 since ages, haven’t explored its menus past playing/editing patches yet. I’m just trying to figure out multi timbral operation the first time today, whether sustain pedal (MIDI Ctrl 64) is global on the synth or can I overdub different sustain pedalling to various MIDI channels.

At this rate, I’ll get to this Motif’s Sequencer / Sampling / Mixing functions by 2030. (If ever.) :-)

Anyhow, if I cared that my Motif isn’t succeeded by a newer model soon, I’d change the model letter to “XF9” with one of those $3 decals sets. Et voila, no sequel ever.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2015 @ 09:41 PM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-18-2009
mrdelurk - 09 May 2015 09:08 AM

I’m just trying to figure out multi timbral operation the first time today

After a day of head scratching: so just to assign two acoustic piano sounds to two MIDI channels for a piano duet, I:

- push SEQUENCER on the synth though I’m not using its sequencer. Then
- push MIXING on the synth because I’m not mixing levels on it either. Then
- edit the Number field in Mixing with a microscope to assign the piano(s)?

Hmm. By this logic, I think next to the MIXING button, there should be WATERPOLO button too, where patches can be assigned to a MIDI track in a readably large window. And next to UTILITY, there could be a WISDOM button to confirm each choice. Maybe they add it to the next model…

Perhaps this is why you guys asked when the next Motif is due, I see… :-)

mrdelurk - 09 May 2015 09:08 AM

can I overdub different sustain pedalling to various MIDI channels.

And the answer is, to an extent. With 2 piano tracks / 2 MIDI channels yes, but once the number increases to 6, the Motif gets overwhelmed and sustainless tracks get awash in track-length sustain. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2