mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Last night of the Motif"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 02:32 AM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Although NAMM initially bagged the ‘traditional’ hi-tech top spot for trade shows Musik Messe is a much, much bigger show (maybe 10x?) more global and also, interestingly, now more of a center of things ‘synthy’ with the preponderance of Eurorack and other spaghetti-sporting widgets and gadgets.

You could hardly make it through Korg’s booth with the amount of wire all over the floor and Roland has now officially entered the Eurorack scene. There’s also the JD-Xa.

But nothing is more retro than a genuine re-release and I will shortly be going to the re-launch of the Elka Synthex and will report back how, or indeed if, age has withered it or custom staled its infinite variety of sounds…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 03:45 AM
my03
Total Posts:  38
Joined  12-01-2014
MrMotif - 16 April 2015 02:32 AM

But nothing is more retro than a genuine re-release and I will shortly be going to the re-launch of the Elka Synthex and will report back how, or indeed if, age has withered it or custom staled its infinite variety of sounds…

Is it full sized or “86%”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 06:01 AM
Way_ne
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  01-26-2003

I hope Yamaha makes a tiny change to their existing and future keyboards.

Quietly change the naming scheme so they now have “Vicariously Controlled Oscillators”, the abbreviation of which would provide much amusement to watch on gear forums the world over in the ensuing weeks and months.

Once the blathering reaches the threshold of pain, despite it having been almost immediately apparent that the sound sources in question are clearly fundamentally the same as they’ve always been, the company responds by way of a new post on Bad Mister’s Blog:

“There’s been a lot of Internet ‘discussion’ (to be somewhat charitable) recently about the Vicariously Controlled Oscillators in our range of keyboard products, and we feel it may be helpful to explain the reason for recent changes in our terminology.

“We routinely reassess many factors of our various instruments, including our naming conventions, in order to best accommodate the changing landscape of digital musical instruments in terms of aspects like marketing, customer perceptions and expectations, and the many other facets of this business which necessitate constantly evolving strategies.

“The new term in question was the result of much research and consultation in a number of different areas, and by the end of that process it had come down to either ‘Vicariously Controlled Oscillators’ or the equally apt ‘Discretionally Controlled Oscillators’.

“However, apart from the extra syllable of the latter term, the key factor the afore-mentioned research clearly showed us was that there is a very strong perception in the marketplace that Vicariously Controlled Oscillators sound much warmer, richer and ‘phatter’ than Discretionally Controlled Oscillators, which are considered to be thin, cold, bland and characterless by comparison, despite the end result being essentially the same in modern microprocessor-controlled instruments, according to our oscilloscopes, musician testers and entire design team.

“Therefore, it was clear that having VCOs listed in the specifications was far more appealing than having DCOs to some prospective buyers who appear to make musical instrument purchasing decisions based almost entirely on certain acronyms that they feel are crucial to have listed on a spec sheet.

“The many other buyers of our range of keyboard instruments were largely unaware of the change, basing their purchasing decisions instead on the musicality, sound, feel, features, stability, build quality and reliability of our products, none of which are affected one iota by the change in terminology, because it made absolutely no actual difference at all to anything about the instrument.

That evening, Dave Smith sits down at his office desk after another day’s work designing a yet-to-be-announced 100% digital Prophet synthesizer, cussing under his breath at still having to wrestle with the poorly designed hardware envelopes that one of his discrete component suppliers still insists on using for sending invoices.

Once done with the routine wrangling of the stubborn, ever-necessary anachronisms inherent to this music technology game, he fills the first shot glass for the day, leans back in his chair and checks his emails, several of which are about the Yamaha press release concerning their Vicariously Controlled Oscillators.

After reading it through, he smirks wryly, raises his shot glass towards the screen in a salutory gesture, chuckles, and says “Good one, Fellas...”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 07:20 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

The Synthex would appear to be full size, yes.

Image Attachments
IMG_0512 small.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 10:51 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

@Way_ne
I can’t really quote that just to add a ‘lol’ at the end, bloody amusing writings!
Well written or well found?
Thanks for sharing, regardless!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 11:36 AM
Stashman
Total Posts:  79
Joined  08-24-2014

Curious to know, just how many of us are going to rush out and immediately buy, the newest, next greatest thing from Yamaha as soon as it hits the street?
Can’t believe that any of us has exhausted their XS/XF’s capabilities?
Or, that the XF is so outdated…
I doubt that even half the people that are inquiring of the new model will be buying it within the first year…
Even though I can afford it, it’s not on my short list of things to buy…
I’m still plenty happy with my XF8 and think I will be for a time.
Im just sayin…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 12:42 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Stashman - 17 April 2015 11:36 AM

Curious to know, just how many of us are going to rush out and immediately buy, the newest, next greatest thing from Yamaha as soon as it hits the street?
I doubt that even half the people that are inquiring of the new model will be buying it within the first year…
I’m still plenty happy with my XF88 and think I will be for a time.
Im just sayin…

It doesn’t matter when the next Yamaha workstation will be released. When it is, plenty of
people will complain about what it “lacks”. Because thats what people who are just hobbyists on a budget do - complain about gear they can’t afford.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 02:16 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

I love my XF7 and have a long way to go to before I can ever master all the capabilities
it has to offer along with the Editor and Cubase, there is just so much to learn and, as I am in my later years, will probably never get to that point.  I am happy to have an instrument of this magnitude and will enjoy learning day by day. I don’t think I could handle anything more advanced and there are probably a lot of music enthusiast who feel the same way I do.
Unless you compose for a living or play professionally, this instrument is DOPE!
This forum has helped immensely in getting help and answers almost immediately after posting, couldn’t ask for anything more, except having more videos which are the best way of teaching.
Thanks to all who contribute!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2015 @ 03:50 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010
Stashman - 17 April 2015 11:36 AM

I’m still plenty happy with my XF8 and think I will be for a time.
Im just sayin…

I don’t know, whats it got?  :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2015 @ 05:18 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
motidave - 20 April 2015 03:50 PM

I don’t know, whats it got?  :)

Maybe it will have a built-in owner’s manual. It should be interactive so that when you look up a topic, it either automatically does all the necessary setup, or at least blinks the proper button LEDs so you can tell which ones to press, and in what order.

That could reduce my replying to posts…

;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2015 @ 06:31 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 20 April 2015 05:18 PM

...It should be interactive so that when you look up a topic, it either automatically does all the necessary setup, or at least blinks the proper button LEDs so you can tell which ones to press, and in what order.

That could reduce my replying to posts…

;-)

I’m not so sure 5pinDIN, and I don’t think This will put much of a dent in the need for piano instructors either…

...but if they could make it compose music for you, just by following the lighted keys produced from a hit-maker algorithm, we could get that pesky musicianship out of music altogether!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 08:59 AM
Melodialworks
Total Posts:  157
Joined  06-13-2009

XF8 WH arriving soon, possibly as early as today. In preparation, I’ve watched (and made notes) from the “Motif XF Fully Loaded” video, and read some of the owner’s manual.

I’m immediately struck by the lack of user banks, compared with Kronos, for example. On-board help would be beneficial. I’m planning on using it with Cubase (USB MIDI), and that looks like a daunting prospect in terms of learning curve.

I’m looking forward to the successor of Motif XF, but will enjoy what I will soon have until that happens.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 09:52 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Melodialworks - 21 April 2015 08:59 AM

XF8 WH arriving soon, possibly as early as today.

Congrats.

Melodialworks -

In preparation, I’ve watched (and made notes) from the “Motif XF Fully Loaded” video, and read some of the owner’s manual.

I’m immediately struck by the lack of user banks, compared with Kronos, for example. On-board help would be beneficial. I’m planning on using it with Cubase (USB MIDI), and that looks like a daunting prospect in terms of learning curve.

I’m always perplexed by comments about the lack of User locations in the XF versus the Kronos. The Kronos has 1664 Programs (all user) - the XF has 1,024 Preset Voices plus 512 User Voices, total 1,536. Yes, the XF Presets can’t be overwritten, but if you don’t like them, why buy an XF?

The Kronos has an advantage of 1792 Combinations, as opposed to the XF’s 512 Performances. However, it seems that the use a synth gets would determine how many Voices/Performances might be needed at any one time. For a gig, I can’t imagine a situation where the number of User locations would be a handicap. In the studio, loading an XF “all” file without samples doesn’t take very long, and could provide 512 new Voices and 512 new Performances.

Melodialworks -

I’m looking forward to the successor of Motif XF, but will enjoy what I will soon have until that happens.

I agree that you’ll enjoy the XF. You might find that if you climb the learning curve enough, the potential lure of a successor could be lessened.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mainstage3 on Motif XF
Next Topic:

Vocal recording out ››