mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Anyone using Ableton Live with the XF?"

Posted on: December 10, 2010 @ 06:38 PM
hitechartist
Total Posts:  11
Joined  11-16-2010

Anyone with advice on using Ableton Live with the XF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2010 @ 08:48 PM
LYO
Total Posts:  172
Joined  07-08-2008

What would you like to know? It works just fine..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2010 @ 09:28 PM
hitechartist
Joined  11-16-2010

Can u tell me about setting it up to work with the XF?
Are u using the FireWire board?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2010 @ 09:44 PM
LYO
Joined  07-08-2008

No, I’m using usb midi.

I cannot tell you much about the FW inside of Live, but I can tell you that the Motif functions very well there. If there is anything specific, you will have to be a little more clear as to what you are trying to do or just a general question, .. ok.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2010 @ 09:54 PM
hitechartist
Joined  11-16-2010

I don’t have the FireWire yet.
I wanted to record the audio from the XF to ableton and probably not the midi.
So can I do this ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2010 @ 10:58 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Absolutely. Any DAW that can use an ASIO driver can use the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver, including Ableton Live.

Go to OPTIONS > Preferences… > AUDIO > Select ASIO as your DRIVER TYPE > select Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO as your Audio Device.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2010 @ 11:43 PM
hitechartist
Joined  11-16-2010

Thanks again Bad Mister!

I met you a number of years ago when you visited Ford Music in Altoona, Pa and really enjoyed your presentation.
Even then you were so knowledgeable and had such an ability to explain things in a manner that anyone could understand.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2011 @ 07:05 AM
rogerchristmas
Total Posts:  65
Joined  04-19-2010

I use Ableton Live with my XS - Once you figure out Live’s querks it’s like an XF on steroids… Live’s sync to external clock is exemplary. And each pattern in Live can be triggered by a midi note in XS’ pattern change - brilliant...Needless to say I tossed Sonar like a bag of dirt.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2011 @ 04:18 PM
LYO
Joined  07-08-2008

Yep, the motif works very well in Live.
I have only one issue, and it’s the same in Logic..

In the Motif Utility, I keep the midi setting on Auto, which should allow me to play in Performance mode (Arps) without the meter running, but sometimes (Often) I have to hit the space bar to start it running and then I can stop it and play. (Rehearse) ..
I just can’t locate what it is? I’m sure it must be something very obvious that I am overlooking?

Other than that, it’s very much at home there.. and sounds very good also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 03:48 PM
djmast04
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-19-2015

I just got a motif xf8 and am wondering if I’m going to need to buy a firewire card for it.
I would like to output audio tracks to my computer daw (ableton 9 on win7pc) besides using the midi. It seems really expensive to only have audio channel outs through a 250$ addon card. Do I have any workarounds?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 04:44 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
djmast04 - 22 March 2015 03:48 PM

I just got a motif xf8 and am wondering if I’m going to need to buy a firewire card for it.
I would like to output audio tracks to my computer daw (ableton 9 on win7pc) besides using the midi. It seems really expensive to only have audio channel outs through a 250$ addon card. Do I have any workarounds?

Welcome to the forum.

You’ll need some form of audio interface. There are certainly less expensive ones than the FW16E, although they don’t have the same capabilities.

For another approach, see MrMotif‘s post in this thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/474129/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2015 @ 11:04 PM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-18-2009

While half of my ‘boards have digital audio outs, those are all different. Then there’s the other half which has only analog outs. So, never mind the hassle, everything goes to my Ableton Live through an analog mixer. K.I.S.S. at work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2015 @ 10:35 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

djmast04,

Stuff to think about:

-- You’re on Win7, does your computer even have a FW port?

-- Compare $250 to the cost of buying an audio interface.

-- You can drive up to four mono signals at a time using the analog outputs of the XF.  While that’s not as slick as having 16 mono signals it’s not bad.

-- FW16e has only two audio inputs available for mike and line sources into the DAW and no phantom power or XLR jacks for the mikes. How often will you need to use microphones or other external audio sources?

The pluses of a separate interface are (maybe) more input channels, better mike pres, phantom power, etc. However if you keep the monitors connected to the interface, then the interface must be on to hear the XF. If the interface is bus powered, that means the computer must also be on to use the monitors.

I use my FW16e with Live on a Mac but I have yet to use all 16 channels at the same time. The real advantage is that the FW16e is a single cable solution and my monitors remain connected to the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2015 @ 01:48 PM
djmast04
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-19-2015

Thank you all for your replies!!

I do have Firewire on my desktop. But I now realize that I can use the output from XF8 with an audio interface. So I’m not spending 250 on the firewire card

Currently I have a Focusrite saffire 6 which has 0 non-preamp 1/4 inputs (i didn’t realize this until i bought the motif lol) I also have a Pyle PAD20MXU mixer with USB interface that I don’t use at all. It has 2 RCA Stero inputs. My monitors are KRK Rokit 5 with an XLR input and a 1/4 input and I have Sony mdr-7506 headphones with a 1/4 adapter.

I’m going to reserach audio interfaces that will take the 1/4 outputs from motif as well as mics and other inputs. I’m ok with recording only a couple of tracks from the motif at a time.

But I do want to be able to listen to the motif without Ableton or lag (otherwise why own a motif?). I may have to use the digital spdif out or the headphone out and hook that up to monitors in a hardware manner somehow through a mixer or an interface..not sure

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Why use FireWire ?
Next Topic:

bad disk or memory ››