mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Import ES or XF into MOXF"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: December 01, 2014 @ 01:33 PM
my03
Total Posts:  38
Joined  12-01-2014

Hi,

got my MOXF a couple of days ago and wanted to try out the import of the motif bank found here: http://www.jaybmusic.net/sounds.php#end

I was under the impression that the moxf editor was capable of importing either w7e or x3e files but i haven’t succeded. I also have tried the John Melas editor/librarian (http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/index.php) but haven’t been successful there either.

Is it possible to import the little older banks somehow?

best regards

Dan
ledan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2014 @ 12:41 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Not sure what additional functionality is afforded by the editor but MOXF only officially claims to have direct file loading compatibility with MOX and Motif XF, no? Regardless, I’d check with the sound library producers whether they really have tested this on a MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2014 @ 07:19 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

This will sound weird, but you can do this if you install these two editors (free from Yamaha):

Motif ES MultiPart Editor (not the ES Voice Editor)

Motix XF Editor

You will also need Studio Manager (again, free from Yamaha) if you don’t already have it installed. Both editors run inside Studio Manager.

The ES MP Editor can open w7e files. Then save this as an m4e file (the only option).

The XF editor can open m4e files, save this as an x3e file (the only option).

OOPS: this next step will not work!! Open the x3e file in the MOXF Editor.

So now you are stuck...unless the Melas tools can open an x3e file or you can find someone with an XF to save that voice bank as an x3v file which the MOXF itself can load.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2014 @ 10:44 AM
my03
Joined  12-01-2014

MrMotif,

I think this particular author uses the S90es which might explain things. I was under the impression that moxf contains the waveforms from most older models, thats why thought this was possible :-)

meatballfulton,

That is a really good sugestion actually. I have the XF editor on as well (since i tried using only that) but will make sure to dl and try the rest of them together with the Melas one (all combinations of them). I’ll keep you posted on the progression. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2014 @ 01:40 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Just to clarify.. the MO XF contains waveforms from the Motif XF, very little of the ES waveforms survived past the Motif XS, which was before the XF.

Second, the Motif ES did not have the same synth engine as the XS and XF and MO XF.
The ES only allowed voices made of four elements (not 8), and had different DSP effects
than the XS/XF,MO XF.

Basically, the MO XF is nothing like the ES. And frankly, I don’t know why you’d want anything from the ES, which didn’t sound as good and did not have as many features or
anywhere near the memory capacity as the MO XF or Motif XF do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2014 @ 10:08 AM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

Dave, he just wants to use a free voice bank that was created for the ES. I downloaded that bank (XF can load it), it has some useful EDM sounds.

I still use ES voice banks I had purchased with my XF...including a bunch of DCP banks ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2014 @ 10:50 AM
my03
Joined  12-01-2014

Hi,

Thanks again meatballfulton for helping me out :-)

Dave,

Absolutely, i understand that they are quite different. The rationale behind my thoughts were just that some people claim that each motif generation “builds” on top of the previous one, amongst other things extend the waverom for each I generation while keeping the old waves in there. This is nothing new. On my dear old Yamaha EX5, i can actually hear many similar patches that exists also on the moxf. My Fantom X have loads of waves from my 5080 (and they both have kept waves from the trusty old 1080 and SR-jv expansions).

I appreciate that things have evolved in processing power, fx-parts, etc but at heart, they are only evolutions from previous generations to a degree.

JayB (as well as yourself Dave - i use quite a lot of your great patches too in my Triton :-)) has made some (imho) great patches available for free DL. I’ve used his stuff on old Yamaha S30, CS6R and an200 in the past and they are great (for my use anyway). Many factory presets are bloated and drowned in fx whereas his (and yours and others) are very playable. I’m learning to navigate the MOXF currently so i haven’t really been able to tweak or create stuff from scratch, but i still would like to be creative with it, thats why i am so eager to use these patches.

br

Daniel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2014 @ 01:44 PM
my03
Joined  12-01-2014

Hi all,

this is all sorted now. I got some excellent help from meatballfulton and now i can enjoy JayBs patches (again....). I did also contact Yamaha and wished for a native (or editor) option to load X3V files. In Jays case, i know he is constantly extending and improving his patches so it would be really nice to be able to keep up :-)

Thanks guys for the help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2014 @ 11:12 AM
Svantevit
Total Posts:  5
Joined  11-23-2014

Same problem here. Could meatballfulton or my03 reveal the secret just HOW to convert ES (ES Rack in my case) patches so that we could load them into our MOXFs? I realize they are different machines but as the post above shows, it is possible. What is more, some accidental changes to patches because of hardware and software differences could sometimes produce very interesting effects. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2014 @ 12:18 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005
Svantevit - 17 December 2014 11:12 AM

Could meatballfulton reveal the secret just HOW to convert ES (ES Rack in my case) patches so that we could load them into our MOXFs?

If you read my earlier reply, the MOXF itself (not the editor) can read All Voices files from an XF.

As it so happens, I own an XF and had downloaded that voice bank already (the XF can load ES All and All Voice files). All I had to do was create an X3V All Voices file and email it to my03.

So the “secret” is you need access to an XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2014 @ 12:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

If there’s interest in the ES Voice Presets, see the attachments in my post here:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/in/viewthread/473177/P15/

By the way, Motif Classic Preset Voices are attached to one of my posts on the first page of that same thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/in/viewthread/473177/P0/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2014 @ 01:02 PM
Svantevit
Joined  11-23-2014

Thanks for prompt reply meatballfulton. The secret is out now :). Pity though that there is no software way around.

@ 5pinDIN: Yes, I came across the banks earlier. They made my day. I just wanted to conver some patches I had programmed on my ES. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 10:00 AM
JayBmusic
Total Posts:  13
Joined  07-10-2014

I guess I told the OP already via e-mail, but I’ll do it again here.

You can use the XS / XF voice editor to Import the w7e file and copy its contents to one of the user banks. No need for an ES editor, no need for a multipart file. Just Import it, don’t try to open it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 12:26 PM
Svantevit
Joined  11-23-2014

Thank you JB for the reply.
Correct me if I am wrong, but this solution will work only for XF owners. MOXF owners will need access to a Motif XF in order to transfer the data from the XF editor (X3E) to the Motif XF. Only then will they be able to generate an X3A or X3V file which their MOXF will be able to read (just as meatballfulton pointed out above). So the sofware solution for MOXF owners would be nice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 01:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Svantevit - 24 December 2014 12:26 PM

Thank you JB for the reply.
Correct me if I am wrong, but this solution will work only for XF owners. MOXF owners will need access to a Motif XF in order to transfer the data from the XF editor (X3E) to the Motif XF. Only then will they be able to generate an X3A or X3V file which their MOXF will be able to read (just as meatballfulton pointed out above). So the sofware solution for MOXF owners would be nice.

If the purpose was to import a .W7E file into an XF, then there’s no need to use the XF Editor. The XF can directly load a .W7E file.

Rather, it seems that JayBmusic‘s intent was in reference to meatballfulton‘s first post in this thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 01:03 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

I think JayBmusic is referring to the Melas Voice Editor, not the free Yamaha editors.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ request for new firmware
Next Topic:

USB Audio Off ››