mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FW16E FireWire Interface - Audio Glitches"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: April 12, 2012 @ 08:59 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
eugene - 12 April 2012 06:43 AM

Vikas, I found that ExpressCard uses either PCI Express or USB 2.0 data interface. I did not find where manage it (may be it is hardware thing). But i suggest that the issue either in firewire card or their driver or desing of the express card port. Assuming that it uses USB 2.0 it would be an issue. Have you tried to use internal FW port of lap? may be it make sense to contact dell and check details of the port data interface.

The built-in FW port in my Dell laptop uses a Ricoh controller which is absolutely useless and gives you the worst results possible. The StarTech ExpressCard FW adapter that I tried uses a Texas Instruments chipset and gives much better results. However, the glitches don’t go away completely even after much optimization and tweaking in the Windows OS.

Anyway, I’ve stopped using my Dell laptop for the music purposes - I only use it for Office applications and Internet/Email etc.

The MacBook Pro works perfectly with the FW16E without any problems and without breaking your head.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2012 @ 11:18 AM
eugene
Total Posts:  67
Joined  08-03-2011
VikasSharma - 12 April 2012 08:59 AM

Anyway, I’ve stopped using my Dell laptop for the music purposes - I only use it for Office applications and Internet/Email etc.

The MacBook Pro works perfectly with the FW16E without any problems and without breaking your head.

I don’t have FW16 but very close to purchase it. As far as my current laptop has no FW, ExpressCard, PCMCI even USB 3.0. I’m looking for new lap. I didn’t plan to invest into Mac but after your post i think that Mac is only choice. I don’t like WindoZ (use it for Cubase only). My current main OS is Ubuntu but there is not Cubase version for Linux. (((

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2012 @ 01:15 PM
janesmith230
Total Posts:  120
Joined  01-09-2011

Hi,

I had a very similar problem. Could’t solve it, too, for the longest time.

1. I phoned tech support for Steinberg in Canada. The tech guy was very helpful. He used Team Viewer to take over my screen and checked over all the settings and ran all of the typical diagnostics.

He solved my problem by changing a setting in the FW utility folder. If you look at my attached jpeg, you’ll see how to get to it.

Also, he mentioned that if this hadn’t solved the problem a specific firewire card to use as a last resort--unfortunately I don’t remember the name because changing the setting mentioned above solved my problem.

I’m not a guru or anything about the XF nor Cubase, but maybe, this would help. You can see from the attached jpeg how to get to the utility.

Hope this works for you. I was frustrated beyond belief. Now I got a good system.

Phil

Image Attachments
FW driver settings.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2012 @ 08:27 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
janesmith230 - 12 April 2012 01:15 PM

Hope this works for you.

Been there, done that. No amount of software tweaking is going to make a useless piece of hardware work flawlessly. You’re lucky it worked for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2013 @ 05:06 AM
Shaman_Drummer
Total Posts:  4
Joined  10-18-2013

I hear you all. 1.5 years ago I was on the Steinberg website & took the specs & parts of 2 **PC’s that were ‘made’ for Cubase as I was upgrading my PC after the Vancouver fall Hurricanes a while back. It took out my DAW PC & 1 key workstation, despite surge & pricey power conditioners. Took the specs on the Stnbrg site & had NCIX built an even more serious unit than those on the site.

NXIC Custom PC
Intel i7 quadcore chipset
MSi P55 GD65 Motherboard
16 GB’s of Ripjaw RAM
3 TB+ of WD/Seagate ROM
Via FW 400 card
Dual NVidia high end graphics cards
Antec 12 Bay Tower, with Liquid cooled CPU; 4 Fans
Windows 7 64 bit Pro

Cubase 6-7.0.6 64 bit
MIDEX-8 New driver
M-Audio Delta 1010 rack, 6.0.8 driver

A drummer 1st & I grabbed the latest TD-30 VDrums ($$’s), so to budget the MOTIF XF was a big deal. So happy with it I bought the FW card, & a VIA FW slot. My M-Audio Delta 1010 rack runs 12+ hybrid VSTi’s, & all the FX, strip func’s I need + 12-20 audio tracks, without a click of any kind.But as small as they were, tiny clicks, timed in equal seconds, were there....I called everyone that was anyone re: MOTIF. Ran the Latency test tools + the one in the FW driver folder.

The Field goal:
I spent tonight reading as many BadMister :-) & like advice for FW & PC (thanks 5pinDin). I came across a post, that said: in the Devices Menu > Device Set-up > “VST Audio System” to uncheck: “Adjust for Record Latency”. In a 1/2 hour of tests, I had no drop outs, or cyclonic ticks (clicks-really all I had, but it can mess w/performances)...I’ve had the smoothest experience ever so far. I hope tomorrow it was not a pipe-dream...If so: Apple will be a part of my studio soon. My condolences for the length. I hope this may make a difference for you… Namaste

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2013 @ 12:48 PM
Shaman_Drummer
Total Posts:  4
Joined  10-18-2013

Update...re: Firewire audio glitches on MOTIF XF on PC…
Well, so far very good. I am running sequences using the Motif’s audio driver & no drop outs & or small clicks.

The above method, is changing a setting, I will say, I did much more since Dec2012 to get here. Find the “best result” list of Firewire PCI card & go over all Cubase settings, per all advice you find relevant. I spared little expense on my PC so these things all add up in PC land.

No matter what, it’s solidly better today, after more testing.
Thanks to 5pinDin for saying, don’t give in...Thx to all Motifators…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2013 @ 12:59 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Shaman_Drummer - 19 October 2013 12:48 PM

Update...re: Firewire audio glitches on MOTIF XF on PC…
Well, so far very good. I am running sequences using the Motif’s audio driver & no drop outs & or small clicks.

[...]

No matter what, it’s solidly better today, after more testing.
Thanks to 5pinDin for saying, don’t give in...Thx to all Motifators…

You’re welcome. While those weren’t my exact words, that was the idea.

May all your recordings play back glitch-free from now on.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2013 @ 02:56 AM
sarmad_dehnadi
Total Posts:  85
Joined  01-17-2011

As far as I know Windows 7 has a faulty 1394 driver for audio applications. I had problems using 1394 with different firewire interfaces.

For solving the problem I learnt to swap from windows default 1394 driver to legacy 1394 driver.

You can do this on this rout---> Device manager-> update driver -> instal from specific location -> don’t search I will choose the driver to instal ->windows 1394 legacy driver

Pleas do this while the audio interface (MOTIF) is OFF

After doing so all the glitches and delays will be gone hopefully.

I hope this to be helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2013 @ 01:20 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Hi all,

I saw new activity in this post. Obviosly, everyone (except those who at start have Mac) had some problem with FW and glitches.
I have read the latest updates and tried again to set 1394 driver in Windows 7 to Legacy, than to install Yamaha-Steinberg FW 1.64. After that, I have set default settings using ysfwutility.exe. Did I mentioned that I have tried all combinations using ysfwutility?
Finaly, I have tried to unchecked “Adjust for Record Latency” in Cubase as per Shaman_Drummer.
But, unfortunately, no result. Still I have a lot of audio glitches and clicks while playing demo “Live Forever”. Also during playing Motif.
I’m still waiting my new Mac mini....

Regards,
Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2013 @ 10:57 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Hi all,

I just want to add an update. I tried the combination I’ve mentioned in my previous post with the latest ASIO4ALL driver and I was really suprised! Live for ever demo works with video play along and without any pops, clicks, etc. More over, I used default settings - buffer was 512 samples and latency was 11ms, much more than set with YSFW 1.64!!!
I have now upgraded my AI6 to Elements 7, so if I have any interesting news I will share with you.
While I’m waiting for my iMac mini to come....

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2013 @ 08:27 PM
sonu2die4
Total Posts:  65
Joined  05-03-2010

I had similar problems on my Dell Laptop. All the electronics was packed on the same bus, and hence ,there was too much clicks and pops. I had to turn off the WiFi to get a more cleaner sound. But that too was not noise free. Then I got me a Lenovo W530! Btw I also have a Mac book Pro, so it just depends, which laptop I choose to make music.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2014 @ 02:33 AM
vtlabz
Total Posts:  1
Joined  11-02-2010

Hey Guys,

I am running into the same problem. Having intermittent glitches and audio dropouts with Win7 x64 + FW16E (on Motif XF8) [ with latest drivers].

I have tried monitoring the system with DPC Latency Monitor and tried a few tips & tricks mentioned with the tool help .. & it seems to be helping me for quite some time now.

Ref: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Hope it helps you ppl too ... please do post back , if you try and fry this for some good.

Enjoy music
Regards
vtlabz

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ smooth transition of voice in performance mode
Next Topic:

Motif XF Firewire requirements ››