mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New MOXF video and saving Factory settings"

Posted on: July 27, 2014 @ 10:25 AM
rballister
Total Posts:  10
Joined  12-05-2004

Recently downloaded the new MOXF video and have some newb questions (I suspect there will be more down the road!). The reason I purchased the video was to correctly learn how to load stuff on the Flash board. After Dave shows how to load Vintage Keys he stresses the need to always save the Factory settings first. Why? If the presets can not be overwritten and the stuff in the User Banks is just a repeat of the presets (until something else is loaded over them) there would seem to be no need to in effect re-save the presets. The only reason I can think of is if something goes horribly wrong with the actual presets. Dave goes on to explain that there is also a way to directly reload the Factory settings (I think it involves the Job button---I am not in front of the MOXF right now). This seems equally redundant---the Presets will always be there anyway (same caveat as above---unless something goes horribly wrong with the Presets). Thanks for any and all help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2014 @ 11:24 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
rballister - 27 July 2014 10:25 AM

Recently downloaded the new MOXF video and have some newb questions (I suspect there will be more down the road!). The reason I purchased the video was to correctly learn how to load stuff on the Flash board. After Dave shows how to load Vintage Keys he stresses the need to always save the Factory settings first. Why? If the presets can not be overwritten and the stuff in the User Banks is just a repeat of the presets (until something else is loaded over them) there would seem to be no need to in effect re-save the presets. The only reason I can think of is if something goes horribly wrong with the actual presets. Dave goes on to explain that there is also a way to directly reload the Factory settings (I think it involves the Job button---I am not in front of the MOXF right now). This seems equally redundant---the Presets will always be there anyway (same caveat as above---unless something goes horribly wrong with the Presets). Thanks for any and all help.

If you SAVE a Factory ALL file up front, you will always have simple selective access to Factory PERFORMANCES, SONGS, and PATTERNS (USER data) should you decide you want to re-LOAD any of them that have been over-written...simple as that.

While a Factory Set (page 20 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual) can accomplish the same restoration of this data, it does so in a broad and uncompromising manner...all USER data gets restored.

A Factory ALL file allows selectivity in the restoration of USER data.

The UTILITY JOB to reset the Factory System settings (Page 150 of the MOXF Reference Manual) is...as it says...for restoring Factory System settings, which are similarly editable by the User.

These settings are also completely separate from the “Presets” (which I assume means the Preset VOICES).  You are right, the exercise of doing a Factory All file backup has nothing to do with the Preset VOICES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2014 @ 11:43 AM
rballister
Joined  12-05-2004

Thanks for the reply. So the first instance is only important if I had edited some of the User Presets---as i have not edited anything yet in Users there is nothing really to save yet. A couple of days ago I installed the recently available system upgrade. I presume if I do a system reset the system would revert to the newly installed system upgrade.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2014 @ 12:12 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
rballister - 27 July 2014 11:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. So the first instance is only important if I had edited some of the User Presets---as i have not edited anything yet in Users there is nothing really to save yet. A couple of days ago I installed the recently available system upgrade. I presume if I do a system reset the system would revert to the newly installed system upgrade.

The concept of SAVING a Factory All file is to do it before you make any changes to the above mentioned USER data.

That allows you have a file on hand to selectively restore Factory USER data...should you wish to in the future.

A system OS (firmware) upgrade stands on its own...a Factory set as mentioned above will have no effect on an updated OS install.  It will simply restore all USER editable data to the Factory condition.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2014 @ 01:03 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

I can clarify this in an even simpler way.

Performances are not presets...so lets
say you edited or overwrote a few, and then
found yourself thinking, damn, what was that
Performance in Bank 1, location A15...I’d
really like to get that back. From a saved
Factory “All” file, you can simply set Load
type to “Performance” and load that performance
back in.

That alone is a great reason to save the
Factory set as an All file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2014 @ 01:12 PM
rballister
Joined  12-05-2004

Thanks for the reply Dave. Is there a way to NOT overwrite Performances when I install new stuff---keeping both--or is that simply not an option when you add something to a User Bank?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2014 @ 01:32 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
rballister - 27 July 2014 01:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Dave. Is there a way to NOT overwrite Performances when I install new stuff---keeping both--or is that simply not an option when you add something to a User Bank?

All PERFORMANCE slots in the machine come filled with Yamaha Factory PERFORMANCES.  There are no empty positions.  Each one of these supplied PERFORMANCES are intended to be examples of what you can do...in that sense they are placeholders until you have created one of your own PERFORMANCES to install in place of one that is provided.

Yamaha could have provided completely empty...or initialized...PERFORMANCE USER BANKS.  But instead they gave a very large number of PERFORMANCE examples, which serve to (at the very least) demonstrate what the machine is capable of.

However, as outlined above, you can “recapture” overwritten Factory PERFORMANCES as you desire...and that is why a “Factory All File” is useful.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Programming Octaves
Next Topic:

Recording ››