mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "The best Synth sound on MOTIF XF/Talk box manipulation"

Posted on: March 12, 2014 @ 06:53 AM
Kinito
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-11-2013

Hi Motif heads,

Can someone please let me know the best synth sound on MOTIF XF to use with a Talk box for voice manipulation? I have tried some but I am not happy

Please help me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2014 @ 10:06 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Kinito - 12 March 2014 06:53 AM

Hi Motif heads,

Can someone please let me know the best synth sound on MOTIF XF to use with a Talk box for voice manipulation? I have tried some but I am not happy

Please help me.

Do you mean a vocoder? Or are you
using an actual talkbox like what Peter
Frampton used (a tube in his mouth,
connected to a box connected to his
guitar and then into an amp).

Or are you trying to find a talkbox VOICE
to simulate the sound on Bon Jovi’s
“Living on A Prayer” or Aerosmith’s
“Sweet Emotion”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2014 @ 10:12 PM
Way_ne
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  01-26-2003

The goal might be some Daft Punk Talk box-style stuff.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 09:51 PM
BC Powdaland
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-10-2012

does anyone here use a banshee talkbox with their XF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 11:03 AM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002

Well, the guy hasn’t replied to his own post in a long time, so I guess he
gave up.

Which he should have - because the “talk box” sound isn’t something that
can be done with a synth, period. It’s one of the very few sounds that
must be done by a live guitar player, holding the tube in his mouth.
Like Peter Frampton, Joe Walsh, and Richie Sambora.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 01:12 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Or you can use a keyboard synth as the source of audio, but you do need a separate box (so called “Talk Box"). It uses your mouth as a vocal cavity/chamber - it will rattle your fillings! :-) But a keyboard easily could be the source signal, ala Roger Troutman (used a Yamaha DX100 as his source), Sly Stone, Steveland Morris…

The Vocoder is quite different, it’s what you hear on many of the Daft Punk songs. It’s the “robot voice” sound. The Motif XF has a vocoder.

You can feed a “talk box” with signal from the XF.

For a talk box you need a tube that routes the sound to your mouth where you “shape” the audio with your oral cavity. You have to have a microphone connected to the sound system to pick up the acoustic output of your mouth… So not only are you chewing on a tube but you’re up close on that microphone too.

The Vocoder the microphone signal is used to modify a synth sound. The mic is actually plugged into the keyboard. The pitch component is totally based on the note or notes played… So the noise component of the source (you disturbing air in front of the mic) is applied to the pitch of the notes you are playing.

Both offer unique sound effects, but are generated in entirely different ways. Often one is incorrectly identified as the other.

With that understanding, perhaps the original poster’s question is that they already know the difference and are asking which sound from the XF would work best as the audio source to feed to a “talk box” - and to that I’d only offer you’ll have to try several and see what works best. For example, with a Vocoder, the more “noise” in the synth sound, the more intelligible the Vocoding. It will be different for the Talk Box.

In general, I’d recommend one with an organ envelope. Meaning “DECAY 2 LEVEL” of the Amplitude Envelope Generator is maximum. So that as long as you hold a note you have signal ...this may help make it more natural to control the sound… You will be coordinating playing and singing, if the envelope of the loudness of the sound is difficult to articulate you’ll find it difficult to perform. Sounds that die out naturally may not allow you “say” what you need to say without re triggering every syllable…

So you’ll have to experiment with the type of thing you are playing/saying.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2015 @ 11:03 AM
Kinito
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-11-2013
DavePolich - 12 March 2014 10:06 AM

Hi Motif heads,

Please help me.

“Sweet Emotion”?

Guys, Actualy I have a separate talkbox device, a Bangee 2 but I cannot find a good tone on my MOTIF XF to manipulate it. Sorry for the late reply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2015 @ 12:28 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
Kinito - 05 February 2015 11:03 AM
DavePolich - 12 March 2014 10:06 AM

Hi Motif heads,

Please help me.

“Sweet Emotion”?

Guys, Actualy I have a separate talkbox device, a Bangee 2 but I cannot find a good tone on my MOTIF XF to manipulate it. Sorry for the late reply.

You are not going to find a “good voice” on the XF for your talk box unit. Because you need to use a talk box just as it was intended - playing with the tube inserted in your mouth and YOU talk into it while your playing. In other words, the “talking” requires
human voice input.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Velocity Switching
Next Topic:

What is GR indicator in vcm compressor 376? ››