mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How do I Initiate the Sysex transfer from the MIDI device, motif XF"

Posted on: June 11, 2024 @ 02:28 PM
Mlg4ever
Total Posts:  881
Joined  07-27-2003

Hello guys, need help here. I setup my computer daw as required in order to do a bulk dump from the motif XF. I’m supposed to then see the sysex block on the track after recording but I didn’t after trying a few times.
the daw manual is telling me to Initiate the Sysex transfer from the MIDI device, according to the manufacturer’s instructions and that is YAMAHA.
please how do I initiate the Sysex transfer from the motif XF.

it says Pro Tools automatically begins recording as soon as it starts to receive Sysex data. how do I do that please.
thanks

one more thing,do I need to use the tradition midi cables I/O or is this achievable using usb-midi. I am using usb-midi because my interface Apollo X8p doesn’t have physical old MIDI I/O like there are in the back of the motif XF. the Apollo uses usb-c type of cables. a single cable

thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2024 @ 01:38 AM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  205
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

Mlg4ever - 11 June 2024 02:28 PM

how do I initiate the Sysex transfer from the motif XF.

You do this by pressing the [Job] button, selecting the [F4] Bulk tab and then pressing the [Enter] button. You haven’t said what type of data you are trying to transmit, but depending on what mode your instrument is in (Voice, Performance, Mixing, Master), different sets of data are transmitted:

* Voice mode: Edited parameters for the currently selected Voice.
* Performance mode: Edited parameters for the currently selected Performance.
* Mixing mode: Edited parameters for the currently selected Mixing.
* Master mode: Edited parameters for the currently selected Master.

In order to do larger data dumps for archiving, such as e.g. all User voices, the Motif XF Editor software is better suited.

Mlg4ever - 11 June 2024 02:28 PM

do I need to use the tradition midi cables I/O or is this achievable using usb-midi.

The USB-MIDI connection will do just fine, once the driver is installed and working. On the Motif, if you haven’t already, go to [Utility] mode, select the [Control] and [MIDI] tabs, and set the “Interface” to USB. On the same screen, make sure the “Device Number” is set to “1” or “all”. Finish by pressing the [Store] button.

In ProTools, although I’m not familiar with it, first of all make sure you are recording from the correct input device. ProTools also has its own settings related to Sysex data (MIDI data filtering, handshake protocols, etc.) that may need to be changed.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2024 @ 01:54 PM
Mlg4ever
Joined  07-27-2003

Hey Henry, thanks.

I’m pretty sure I’ve done most of the things you recommended up here right. I’m trying to do a dump of a mix data hoping with it too come the patches allowing me to recover my instruments inside protools anytime I opened the mix in protools and not have to instantiate them all over again individually.  It looks like my setup is properly done on both ends, and yet, I’m still not seeing the sysex blocks printed on the track. This is where things just drive me nuts, especially when I know that I’ve done this a bunch of times in the past with the original motif and later the XS. Just a little reorganization in the studio and here comes trouble. Pulling hair off my head again. Lots of scalp scratching, what did I do wrong? This should normally just work straightforward. Right now doing a power cycle, unplugging and plugging things back then try again.
Thanks. ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2024 @ 09:30 AM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011
Mlg4ever - 12 June 2024 01:54 PM

I’m still not seeing the sysex blocks printed on the track.

How about in the Event List?

Mlg4ever - 12 June 2024 01:54 PM

(...) I know that I’ve done this a bunch of times in the past with the original motif and later the XS. Just a little reorganization in the studio and here comes trouble.

The procedure shouldn’t be very different to your earlier instruments, so the frustration is understandable. What else changed in your studio since then? Any other major software or equipment updates?

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2024 @ 07:39 PM
Mlg4ever
Joined  07-27-2003

First I just ditched the 002 and 003 mixers and interfaces. They were great while they lasted. I replaced them with the personus faderport 16, equally great plus the innovative bells and whistles. Great piece. Of course the Apollo x8p, and a while back the motif Xf. Got a bunch of other little things here and there. I Didn’t work between my last post and now. Took some time off to cool off and forget. I’m getting too old for the frustration. I used to handle it pretty well but not anymore. I’m going to try to summon enough juice to go over it again. Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2024 @ 08:51 PM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011

OK, take all the time you need. By the way; What version of ProTools are you using, and on what operating system?

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Restore original XF voice
Next Topic:

Sounds not playing but drums in pattern mode plays ››