mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif 6/PLG150-AN help.. !!"

Posted on: December 24, 2023 @ 12:13 PM
out0fspace
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-24-2023

I bought a Motif 6 about a year ago, and then soon after purchased a PLG150-AN board.  I downloaded the AN Expert Editor and have been recording some really awesome sounds.

i have been researching as much as my mildly-interested brain would like to about MIDI, the files, and connection between the Motif and my computer, a Mac running Mojave 10.14.5

I am trying to get .ans files onto the Motif so i dont have to have a computer nearby every time i want to play the patch i made in AN Expert Editor. I am trying to understand how to get voices onto my Motif as well. The previous owner had these incredible drum samples loaded onto this Motif.

I cannot find File Utility or Voice Editor software with my system requirements...(Not to mention my newly acquired PLG150-DX and its windows-only editor fate)

thank you! thank you!! Any help is greatly appreciated

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2023 @ 04:59 PM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  163
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi there,

out0fspace - 24 December 2023 12:13 PM

I am trying to get .ans files onto the Motif so i dont have to have a computer nearby every time i want to play the patch i made in AN Expert Editor.

The .ANS file format is not recognized by the Motif. It uses it’s own .W2B format instead. In order to get your PLG Custom Board Voice bank onto your SmartMedia card (or SCSI storage), you’ll first have to Bulk Transmit your voices from AN Expert Editor to the PLG150-AN board, and then save this data on the Motif as a “Plugin All Bulk 1/2/3” file, where the number refers to the actual PLG slot that the card sits in.

Once this is done, you’ll be able to manually reload the file from your Motif’s removable storage, without the computer. Note that loading the file takes some time, since it actually bulks the voice data internally onto the [036/002] bank of the PLG150-AN.

If you turn the AutoLoad function on, you can rename the file “AUTOLD1.W2B” (replace “1” with the actual PLG slot number) and have the file loaded automatically on startup instead.

I am trying to understand how to get voices onto my Motif as well. The previous owner had these incredible drum samples loaded onto this Motif.

I’m not too familiar with sampling on the classic Motif, but it seems that if you want to load a pre-made bank with sampled sounds, the easiest way is if the library is a .W2A (all) file. This file type includes all data of the instrument, such as Performances, User Arps, Sequencer memory, etc., so back up your existing data to another .W2A file before loading it. The Waveform data (.W2W file format) and the User Voices that reference those samples (.W2V file) can be loaded separately, if I’m not mistaken.

You can also import individual samples (.WAV or .AIFF), edit and save them as waveforms, and use these to build your own voices or drum kits. In any case, please note that the stock Sampling memory of the Motif is only 4 MB, so you may not be able to load large sample sets. The memory can be expanded to 64 MB, although it is still limited to 256 waveforms (individual samples).

I cannot find File Utility or Voice Editor software with my system requirements...(Not to mention my newly acquired PLG150-DX and its windows-only editor fate)

I believe both the File Utility and the DX Simulator were available for Mac, but those would probably be OS8/9 apps. For the original Motif-series, all I can find is the rack-version Voice Editor.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2023 @ 10:46 AM
out0fspace
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-24-2023
- Henry - - 24 December 2023 04:59 PM

Hi there,

I am trying to get .ans files onto the Motif so i dont have to have a computer nearby every time i want to play the patch i made in AN Expert Editor.

The .ANS file format is not recognized by the Motif. It uses it’s own .W2B format instead. In order to get your PLG Custom Board Voice bank onto your SmartMedia card (or SCSI storage), you’ll first have to Bulk Transmit your voices from AN Expert Editor to the PLG150-AN board, and then save this data on the Motif as a “Plugin All Bulk 1/2/3” file, where the number refers to the actual PLG slot that the card sits in.

Once this is done, you’ll be able to manually reload the file from your Motif’s removable storage, without the computer. Note that loading the file takes some time, since it actually bulks the voice data internally onto the [036/002] bank of the PLG150-AN.

If you turn the AutoLoad function on, you can rename the file “AUTOLD1.W2B” (replace “1” with the actual PLG slot number) and have the file loaded automatically on startup instead.

It just struck me.... My AN Expert Editor is not the original software.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/c-plg150-an/

So this is why I couldn’t find any transmit function. :S

It would seem if I wanted any deeper editing capabilities with also the option to bulk transmit, and save these tweaked patches to my Motif, I would have to start looking for an old Windows operating computer or Mac.
But this leads me back to one of my original questions. Is there any software for new Macs to Bulk Transmit these .W2B files onto the Motif?

Thanks Henry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2023 @ 03:26 PM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  163
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi again,

out0fspace - 26 December 2023 10:46 AM

It would seem if I wanted any deeper editing capabilities with also the option to bulk transmit, and save these tweaked patches to my Motif, I would have to start looking for an old Windows operating computer or Mac.

I agree, and if a second computer is an option for you, I would personally recommend going the Windows route; Although some of the Yamaha software that used to be available for older Macs may still be found online, Windows versions are probably going to be easier to track down. It also helps that a modern Windows system will usually be able to install and run most types of software written for older Windows versions (excluding system level stuff like device drivers and certain DirectX components) natively, with a couple of minor tweaks.

But this leads me back to one of my original questions. Is there any software for new Macs to Bulk Transmit these .W2B files onto the Motif?

The bulk data transmitted by AN Expert Editor is basically just lots of MIDI SysEx. This is not to be confused with file formats; The .ANS file format is AN Expert Editor’s “container” for saving the voice data on the computer’s hard drive. The .W2B file format does the same on the Motif side. The two file types are not interchangable, though, which means that MIDI transmission is the only way to bring a set of voices from the computer to the instrument (note that we can bulk transmit to PLG boards, but not from them since they are passive devices). A utility exists for converting .W2B to .ANS, but unfortunately not the other way round.

The cross-platform an.factory librarian will transmit the necessary MIDI data to your Motif/PLG150-AN, but it has to import the voice data from somewhere else, such as an .ANS file.

It just struck me.... My AN Expert Editor is not the original software.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/c-plg150-an/

So this is why I couldn’t find any transmit function. :S

Yes, and without the bulk transmit option, this editor would be limited to sending the SysEx parameters of a single voice to the PLG150-AN’s edit buffer (which only holds the current voice), instead of entire sets of voices to its Custom Board Voice bank [036/002] like the original editor does. The website says it loads and saves .ANS files, however, meaning that it should work as a companion for the an.factory librarian. Not a one-stop solution, and not free, but perhaps workable.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ accompanying software