mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "ES doesn’t see what’s on my USB"

Posted on: June 19, 2022 @ 02:53 PM
chensa
Total Posts:  87
Joined  08-04-2004

I’ve basically retired my ES but still use it occasionally.

I tried to load a library via a thumb drive and the keyboard recognizes the devices.  However, it doesn’t see the files on the drive.

Before I give up hope, I did a factory reset, but it didn’t help.  The smart card still works but I really don’t want to spend money on it since it’s not in use. (Although in an emergency, it’d be nice to have it available).

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2022 @ 12:39 PM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  163
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi there,

chensa - 19 June 2022 02:53 PM

I tried to load a library via a thumb drive and the keyboard recognizes the devices.  However, it doesn’t see the files on the drive.

This would typically happen when attempting to use a thumb drive larger than the Motif ES’ 2 GB upper limit.

The drive also has to be formatted with the old FAT16 file system. The best way to format a thumb drive for the Motif ES is still to format it in the Motif ES. If your thumb drive is 2GB or smaller, I suggest you try the following:

- Back up those files on your computer for a moment.
- Format the drive using the Motif ES, and wait for it to complete.
- Move the drive to the computer and copy the files back onto the drive.
- Retry loading the files on the Motif.

If the above fails, and your Motif ES already has a SmartMedia card inserted, but you have no compatible card reader for your computer, here’s an alternative option:

The Yamaha File Utility (Windows only) can transfer files to the card over MIDI, while the card is seated in the Motif ES’ slot. A MIDI connection between instrument and computer is all that is required.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2022 @ 05:11 AM
chensa
Total Posts:  87
Joined  08-04-2004
- Henry - - 21 June 2022 12:39 PM

Hi there,

chensa - 19 June 2022 02:53 PM

This would typically happen when attempting to use a thumb drive larger than the Motif ES’ 2 GB upper limit.

The drive also has to be formatted with the old FAT16 file system. The best way to format a thumb drive for the Motif ES is still to format it in the Motif ES. If your thumb drive is 2GB or smaller, I suggest you try the following:

- Back up those files on your computer for a moment.
- Format the drive using the Motif ES, and wait for it to complete.
- Move the drive to the computer and copy the files back onto the drive.
- Retry loading the files on the Motif.

If the above fails, and your Motif ES already has a SmartMedia card inserted, but you have no compatible card reader for your computer, here’s an alternative option:

The Yamaha File Utility (Windows only) can transfer files to the card over MIDI, while the card is seated in the Motif ES’ slot. A MIDI connection between instrument and computer is all that is required.

- H -

Although I asked for an email notification, I never got one so I apologize for the delayed response to my question.

The USB is already formatted because I’ve used it in the past. So it’s definitely a keyboard issue.  I was going to get a Smart Card reader, but the card appears to be bigger than your average smart card nowadays so I’m not sure where to look for an appropriate reader. (any suggestions would be appreciated).

Unfortunately, I don’t have a Windows based computer to try that Utility program.

[ Ignore ]