mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Firewire to Thunderbolt 3"

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 05:42 AM
russ1911
Total Posts:  15
Joined  04-16-2009

Hi all,

So, I’ve finally got around to setting up my proper studio. My new Mac is now up and running with Cubase Artist 9.5 and my trusty Motif XS is ready to work with it.

BUT…

When I purchased the mac, I also purchased the FW to Thunderbolt converter, not realising that Thunderbolt 3 was different to 1/2.

I have read that the motif / Cubase play well together with the converter I have, but has anybody had any experience in chaining this converter to the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 one as well? It is getting expensive in converters and I want to gauge whether it is likely to work or not before shelling out the money!

Has anybody got a motif running firewire into one of the newer macs? I am aware you can buy expensive thunderbolt 3 hubs, but I’d rather not do this.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2020 @ 09:59 PM
amulitz1
Total Posts:  14
Joined  05-06-2012

I have a Motif with the firewire chips.  I just purchased a new MAC; however, I have not upgraded to Catalina because I use Cubase and I doubt the Motif FW files are compatible yet.  I also have Sibelius and a number of plug ins that all work, so I’m not screwing around with Apple upgrades.

I have daisy chained the Apple plugs from firewire to thunderbolt 2 and from thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3.  I was sort of forced to try this as I have been unable to find any hub that goes from firewire to thunderbolt 3.

Basically, it works!.  The only latency I’ve noticed has been with The Grand 3, but that seems to have self corrected; so, thus far, everything works fine.

Admittedly, I primarily record only my solo keyboard playing, which may cause one to wonder why I need full-blown Cubase 10. I have done multi track work, but not since the MAC upgrade.

[ Ignore ]