mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Getting clicks from looping a sample"

Posted on: October 02, 2009 @ 01:41 AM
okdk
Total Posts:  83
Joined  10-17-2007

I’m trying to make a multisample, when I sample a note I set the range and loop start and stop, but it makes a click noise every time it loops.  I’ve tried to change the loop start and end points but it doesn’t mater.  Am I doing something wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2009 @ 11:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Not necessarily. The looping of a sample is often a difficult thing - it is as much art as science.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2009 @ 03:21 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007
Bad_Mister - 04 October 2009 11:09 PM

Not necessarily. The looping of a sample is often a difficult thing - it is as much art as science.

I have the same issue.  Is there some article or video you know of that could show in more detail how to make a clickless loop on a sample?  I understand the principle, but applying to the particulars of the XS is another matter.  Some further insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2010 @ 12:39 PM
TraneOfThought
Total Posts:  63
Joined  09-22-2002

Clicks are from another sound that you have in your loop that you didn’t want, just shorten the loop end and that should stop the clicks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2010 @ 01:51 PM
rcstevo
Total Posts:  136
Joined  03-07-2009

Clicks are from abrupt amplitude changes.

Its not art. Just zoom in (a lot!) on the waveform and make sure the amplitude at the beginning and end of the clip cross zero.  Also at the end of the clip, follow the wave… if it is falling make sure it is falling in the beginning of the clip so it is in phase.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2010 @ 02:25 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It is art… even zoomed way in, a perfect looking loop (at a 0 amplitude cross-point can sound like a click) If everyone could do it, there would be more than a few programmers in the country… It is a rather small community of (really) good synth programmers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2010 @ 07:51 PM
Bboy On N On
Total Posts:  288
Joined  02-05-2008

have you tried playing with the Attack of the sample? that might help get rid of the click.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2010 @ 01:24 PM
John Melas
Total Posts:  271
Joined  10-31-2002

The secret behind non clicking loops is called loop crossfade.
Unfortunately the Motif does not have this function but fortunately
there is software that does this and is called

Motif Waveform Editor

http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/wave.php

Hope this helps!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2015 @ 09:14 AM
Michiel D
Total Posts:  191
Joined  11-16-2009

Hi John,

Can the editor also be used for editing samples made/ used on a Motif ES?
The ES isn’t mentioned ....

Can you edit samples with this software without using other software for the Motif?
I want to use as les software as possible as installing it an making it communicate with my synth is not something I’m very good at/ something I like to spend my time on (learning how to....).

In other words, can you just install the sample editor, import a sample (from a Usb stick), edit the sample (the art of crossfading :  ) and load the edited sample back into the Motif?

Thanks for some extra info, John!

Kind regards, Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2015 @ 10:57 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Michiel D - 22 November 2015 09:14 AM

[...] Can the editor also be used for editing samples made/ used on a Motif ES?
The ES isn’t mentioned ....

John Melas will likely get back to you eventually.

As far as I know, the Motif XS/XF and MOXF are the supported models.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2016 @ 04:04 AM
Fnord
Total Posts:  18
Joined  12-23-2015
Michiel D - 22 November 2015 09:14 AM

In other words, can you just install the sample editor, import a sample (from a Usb stick), edit the sample (the art of crossfading :  ) and load the edited sample back into the Motif?

You might also take a look at Awave studio. I think this software can read/write files in native Motif ES format and can generate crossfade loops. So you should be able to load your Motif file from a stick in Awave, edit the waveforms and save it back to the stick in Motif ES format. It can also convert between many sampler formats.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2018 @ 12:42 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

When applying crossfade in Melas’ Waveform Editor, does it “bake” it in to the sample? Does it double the length of the original sample?

Sample Flashback!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A5000
Next Topic:

CREATING NEW VOICES (DRUM KITS) ››