mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "no devices listed in SQ01 sequencer"

Posted on: August 24, 2011 @ 02:53 PM
musicmanboy
Total Posts:  13
Joined  05-06-2007

Hello -
I’m finally trying to set up my motif es8.  I’ve followed the set up listed in the forum section for USB to my computer (windows 7). I couldn’t find the drivers download on the tools CD but I downloaded the latest drivers listed here.
My problem - I open MIDI - devices - and nothing is listed under “in” or “out” - that’s as far as I get.
Help!
I could sure use a walkthrough of setting this up.  I also have the cubase but I read the yamaha SQ01 was simpler to get started.

thanks for any help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2011 @ 09:01 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

SQ01 predates Windows 7 by more than a decade. We highly recommend that you do not waste any time trying to get it work - although you might have the distinction of being the only one on the planet doing so (or one of very very few), anything that you find working is going to be a matter of pure luck and not much by design.

‘simpler to get started’ is not a good enough reason to attempt what you are about to attempt. Even if it were true (and I’m sure it is not) why use this as a criteria… Once you get started don’t you want to enjoy what you are doing - SQ01 was developed in the 1990’s and featured the early version of something then called OPT (Open Plug-in Technology) Yamaha continued to develop this with our sample-based and alternate technology synth engine Editors, and expanded it to include mixing consoles and effect processors… this protocol was what became Studio Manager and development was continued when Yamaha purchased Steinberg back in late 2004/early 2005, as the STUDIO CONNECTION protocol.

If you have Cubase AI we highly recommend that you install and use it, as it is Windows 7 compatible and has a decade and more of improvements in the hardware/software integration initiative.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2011 @ 07:25 PM
miamigroove
Total Posts:  92
Joined  01-12-2005

LOL Funny enough, BM I just came across this post because I was looking to do something similar. Basically, im thinking about diving in and creating a full set list or three worth of sequences for my band. The ES6 is still the heart of my live rig, though im also using some external modules. The temptation to add a laptop or an ipad is there but im still trying desperately to avoid it. Im currently in the preparation stages, and although I hadn’t even thought of it in years, I recalled seeing the SQ01 sequencer when I first got my ES6.

The main reason i decided to look back at SQ01 was because I was thinking it may be an easier/faster way to create these and then simply export them to the ES. Obviously, I was mistaken so thanks for your post.

However, my question still remains...what is the “best” (I know, subjective) way to create sequences for the Motif in todays environment? My observations are as follows:

1. I prefer simplicity and intuitive controls. My fave sequencer was the Alesis MMT-8 for example.
2. I intend on having a fair amount of Classic Rock and 80s stuff ala Genesis, the Who, Rush, Prince, the Cars, etc. I mention this because the overwhelming majority of sequencers both hardware and software cater towards the “beat-making” side of things. While they are not mutually exclusive, I realize this means I am leaning more towards a linear based approach (i.e. song mode). That being said, what is the best way to organize groups of songs/patterns on the Motif? For example, could I have all my Genesis tunes in Song#1, with each song delegated to a different section? Or would it be better to do that in pattern mode?
3. Does anyone have any tips on importing GM sequences? Ive found many useful GM sequences on the web but I often find they are not exactly what I need (extra tracks, different endings, unnecessary CC data, etc) I would like to be able to use them as a starting point and then edit them but it seems like that would be much easier to do on a computer first.
I often stop to think of the antiquated equipment that most of the music I still enjoy was originally created on, despite the vast limitations compared to today’s gear. The paradox is that I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of choices and flexibility that current technology offers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 12:17 PM
javelin276
Total Posts:  31
Joined  07-30-2016

Yes, SQ01 will still run, you just have to know a trick to install it correctly.  On Windows-7 you have to run the SQ01 INSTALLER with XP SP3 Compatibility and Administrator privileges.  Not the app after it’s loaded, the Setup.exe Installer program.  SOL2 requires the same settings to install correctly too, I have both up and running properly.  I haven’t tried Windows 8 or 10, but my guess is the same fix applies.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Setting it up .. A motif Es and a Mac..
Next Topic:

Looking for Speaker Suggestion ››