mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording the audio from PC-driven Midi files"

Posted on: February 10, 2009 @ 05:10 AM
HarryBag
Total Posts:  0
Joined  02-12-2005

Hi. I currently use SQ01 and the bundled MPE s/w on a laptop PC to orchestrate, mix and play midi files on my Motif ES. For much of what I do this is fine, although not perfect, for playing music – I am in no way an accomplished musician or engineer.

I would now though like to be able to record the audio output. Can anyone advise me the best way to take this forward, bearing in mind I don’t particularly want to splash cash to get there if I can help it?

I do have an old copy of Cubase SE (v.1.07) and a PC with Emulator X and 1212M Soundcard (although I’ve not used them previously). Could I / should I be using this for recording or can I use the same laptop PC to drive the midi files and record the audio? I also have a 12-channel Mackie mixer that I use for a mic and output to monitors.

Sorry if these are dim questions and thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,
Harry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2009 @ 04:08 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: Recording the audio from PC-driven Midi files

The questions are basic, but not dim /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

I am not sure how well SQ01 handles audio and so it may well be more useful to install your freebie copy of Cubase LE - there may be updates available for this which woudl be worth checking into.

Whichever program you use, the one thing you will need is a pro soundcard - well, you have one in the 1212, so make sure that that one is installed and working properly. THen if using Cubase (and I assume SQ01) make sure its ASIO driver is selected in Devices/setup.

You will be routing the MIDI OUT of Cubase IN to the ES. You will then route the AUDIO OUT of the ES IN to the 1212 where it should appear in Cubase.

You can choose whether to capture the whole mix as a stereo pair or to take it over a track at a time (some in stereo, some, mono, depending on the sound) and then recreate the mix in Cubase.

Hope this helps - post on back if you need more specifics.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2009 @ 06:14 AM
HarryBag
Joined  02-12-2005

Thank you Dave. I can’t see a way of recording anything more than 2 channel audio with SQ01, so it looks like I’ll be using Cubase SE (or maybe a combination of both). I recall that I have a h/w conflict with the 1212 and the audigy soundcard in my other PC so I will have to do some work there first.

One further question - what’s the best medium for getting multi-channel audio back to the PC - midi or usb?

Again, many thanks for your guidance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2009 @ 07:16 AM
HarryBag
Joined  02-12-2005

Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention - the answer to my question is in your original reply.

I may well upgrade to a later version of Cubase but, whatever I do, it will take some time to get there.

Once again, thanks for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2009 @ 02:33 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Is the hardware conflict down to IRQ settings?
They can be manually adjusted.

The other option may well be to purchase a newer soundcard which connects via USB 2 - these can be had for not too much money and the newer Yamaha ones often come bundled with a lite version of a new edition of Cubase.

However, do look out for upgrade pathways - SE to a full version would be a cheaper option than buying the full Cubase outright. (And you may not need the full version anyway)

Hope you get your setup sorted soon.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2009 @ 03:09 AM
HarryBag
Joined  02-12-2005

No, the problem is due to running two Creative soundcards together - I believe it is a known problem.

I quite fancy the idea of an external soundcard for my laptop, but I do have what I believe is a relatively common problem with mains hum when using it. I will though look out for an external Yamaha card as you suggest.

Many thanks and regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Audiogram 6 and MO