mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Any Nord Electro 2 owners?"

Posted on: January 27, 2009 @ 06:19 PM
tmg1968
Total Posts:  402
Joined  11-11-2004

Though i like the Yamaha Motif ES Hammond samples, i have decided to (hopefully) upgrade my Hammond pallette by purchasing a Nord Electro 2. Since no music stores around me stock these instruments, i decided to go by what i heard on the internet via YouTube and oher sources. The leslie sim (from what i was able to surmise from audio clips) seemed much more realistic than other clones i’ve owned such as Roland VK7/8 and Hammond XK-2.. While i await the arrival of this red beast, does anyone own one of these? And if so, what is your opinion on it? I’d like to hear some feeback on this axe...thanks!

-Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 06:50 AM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: Any Nord Electro 2 owners?

I’m in the same boat. I have been quietly lusting after one of these for a while, but can’t find anywhere to get my hands on one to try it out. I made myself a promise after I purchased a “mini-mo” based purely on hype, that I would never buy an instrument again without actually playing it myself beforehand. Did you get the 61 or the 73? Let us know what you think of it after it arrives.

Thanks,

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 03:08 PM
tmg1968
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-20-2004

Hey Bob,

SInce you and i are rowing alone in the same boat, i will definitely give you my opinion on this organ. I should have it by weeks end, and after a couple of hours to play on it, i will have a good idea, because like i said, i have owned 3 other clonewheel organs, but none of their leslie sims were what i would consider “dead on”. Stay tuned…

-Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2009 @ 01:32 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

It is definitely a step up in tonality and capability to the tones on the Motif range (with perhaps the exception of the XS with its extra potential of 8 tones in a single voice)

Of course leslie simulations are another issue and really the best way to get a leslie is to use a leslie - From what I recal the Roland and the Hammond both have a leslie type connector - the Nord I think doesn’t. However its leslies are good.

I haven’t owned one, just used one belonging to a close mate.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2009 @ 07:22 PM
tmg1968
Joined  11-20-2004

Bob,

You may not even see this post, but my Nord Electro arrived, and after test driving it, all i can say is...WOW!

I have owned the Roland VK7 and 8 as well as the Hammond XK-2, and in terms of realism, especially in the leslie sim, this is as close to the real B3 as you will come. The digital drawbars are great, because after you make a setting, it will always display the drawbar configuration, so there is no guesswork involved. The only drawback is no reverb FX, but this damn thing sounds so good, you forget that it doesn’t have reverb. It does have everything else in terms of FX, such as Wah, Phaser, Flange, EQ, Overdrive, Chorus, and special Presence control for the acoustic pianos and clavs. If you are into REAL organ sound, this baby is it, and it’s built for the long haul. I also upgraded the OS immediately, and i got immediate tech support when i ran into a glitch while doing it, so i can vouch for great customer support too!

I recommend!

-Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 06:45 AM
Wastrel
Joined  10-22-2004

Terry -

Congrats! - and thanks for the review. I have a couple of questions if you’ve got a minute.
1) Did you get the 61 or 73 key version? If it’s the 73, how did the extra high notes sound? On every sampled or modeled B3 emulator I’ve played, the notes above the hi C sounded goofy I guess because you can’t sample a Hammond in that range so they fold a lower sample up into that space.
2) Do the digital drawbars respond as fast as grabbing a handful of the mechanical ones? I’m guessing not quite, but with assignable presets it’s probably not a big deal.

Thanks, and enjoy that new board!

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 09:14 PM
tmg1968
Joined  11-20-2004

Hey Bob,

I have the 61 note version, so i can’t give you any review on the organ above high C, but like you said, a real organ doesn’t go above the C so i guess it’s moot.

As far as the digital drawbars go, if you are an organ purist, then no, you will not like them as much as the real thing, however, they are extremely fast in response to your button press, so if you need to change harmonics on the fly, you could definitely pull it off, and like i said, once you make a couple of settings that you really like, you’ll never have to worry about forgetting about the drawbar configuration, because those bloody red lite brite drawbars will always let you know exactly what you set. Nothing left to say but join me won’t you? Go buy one!

-Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 09:50 PM
-
Total Posts:  518
Joined  06-07-2006

Is the Electro 3 an upgrade to the 2.....or is the 2 just more for the organist?

Just wondering why they offer a 2 and a 3 model.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 05:53 AM
tmg1968
Joined  11-20-2004

From what i understand, the Electro 3’s technology is taken from their flagship C1 organ, but to tell you the truth, i don’t know how much better it can be than the Electro 2?

-Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 01:19 PM
Wastrel
Joined  10-22-2004

Terry

Nothing left to say but join me won’t you? Go buy one!

I probably will. Maybe when (and if) the state of California finds enough money to send out our tax refunds instead of IOUs /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

I’d still like to get my hands on one for an hour or so to check it out before buying. I’m leaning toward the 73 key version with an idea of using it for my bottom board - or only board for casual gigs. I listened to a couple of the download - able acoustic piano samples on the Nord website and they sounded pretty good. 5 octaves is fine for organ, but I always run out of keys when playing piano on a 61.

cheers,

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2009 @ 09:35 AM
-
Total Posts:  518
Joined  06-07-2006

You may want to hold out for the E3.  It has built in downloadable access to the entire Nord piano library (free)which would be a big plus if you use it as a main board. Keep in mind their Stage Piano EX has weighted keys as well as the piano library access.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MTR vs DAW
Next Topic:

Anyone who’s blown their speakers ››