mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "When I’m recording audio from the XS into Logic…"

Posted on: January 10, 2009 @ 04:46 AM
GreenMachine
Total Posts:  66
Joined  02-13-2008

...the audio signal is always noticeably lower than when I import audio from another source. Any suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2009 @ 04:08 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: When I’m recording audio from the XS into Logic...

This is not as much a suggestion as your only option.

In addition to calling Yamaha Support, I remember reading many posts in the XS forum regarding the XS’output levels- the end result (stated one way or another) is: the output is sufficient for digital recording; and that of more importance when dealing with digital signals (as opposed to analog) , is not introducing distortion into the signal (through clipping- i.e. exceeding 0db in recording)…

So, while the signals may not read as high as you would like, they are clean… In analog recording, low levels introduce more distortion! This again Is Not true in digital recording…

The output level of the XS is largely beyond your control.

You can modify the setting for the XS’ digital output by choosing: Utility>F2 on the XS to address its I/O and maxing out each channel to +6db, but I’ve found that that Does Not significantly impact the signal that appears at Logic’s input channels.

You can insert an EQ on the track or compressor and then either heavily compress the signal as you record or boost the EQ’s Master Gain but, that is either going to color your sound to some extent or perhaps introduce other artifacts: probably not yielding desirable results.

It would more than likely be best to try one of these solutions after recording so that if you notice any undesirable effect it can be quickly and easily undone…

The purpose of any mixer is to balance signals. So, you’re left with decreasing the levels of the imported audio signals so that they sit well in the mix with the audio recorded from the XS. Logic’s mixer is really your only option…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2009 @ 05:46 PM
GreenMachine
Total Posts:  66
Joined  02-13-2008

Thanks i was worried if the input was too low. I also have a question about stereo recording from the Motif into Logic. Lets say I have tracks 1-4 ready to record. I go into mixer and select track 1’s output source as m1&m2, track 2 m3&m4, track 3 m5&m6, and track 4 m7&m8...etc.  when I press record how come the only tracks I can hear are tracks 2-4....I was fiddling with it one time and track 1 ended up recording midi messages...? Am I doing something wrong?  I would call Tech Support but they take forever to call back :-(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2009 @ 08:13 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

One other work around I just remembered. You can instantiate a Gain Utility on the channel (that’s basically what I was describing with the Compressor and EQ). The benefit of it is it should not affect or color your signal, rather boost it only…

I go into mixer and select track 1’s output source as m1&m2, track 2 m3&m4, track 3 m5&m6, and track 4 m7&m8...etc

For clarity, the XS sends out 16 channels of audio via MLAN (see page 46 of XS manual) and you’re not clear whether you are referring to Logic’s track 1 or the XS. {see pic}

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv233/motif8mine/Motifator/Picture.gif

m1 & m2 are the equivalent of tracks 3 & 4 in Logic Pro. Tracks 1 & 2 in Logic correspond to L & R on the XS. So anyway, after you have selected the output assignments on the XS, make sure your have inserted stereo audio tracks in Logic. And, choose the inputs in Logic accordingly…

I was fiddling with it one time and track 1 ended up recording midi messages…

Not Possible! You cannot record midi messages in Logic to an Audio Track. It would have had to have been either a midi track or a Software Instrument Track…

I would call Tech Support but they take forever to call back

Not real sure which Tech Support you are refering to Yamaha’s or Logic’s. I found them both to be excellent. Yamaha did usually require a call back but, that gave me that much more time to try and solve it myself and it really allowed me to learn how to get around on the intsrument…
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mo 6 Voices versus Logic
Next Topic:

For creating Drum Kits...ESX24 or Ultrabeat??? ››