mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording in Voice Mode??"

Posted on: March 21, 2021 @ 04:40 PM
John Silas
Total Posts:  9
Joined  03-21-2021

Hello. I really appreciate this site. It has helped me to figure out some crucial things. I have Yamaha MOX8 keyboard, and Cubase. The last thing I’d like help on, if possible, is to use the VOICE sounds from the MOX8… in Cubase. Is there a way to record tracks in Cubase with the VOICE instruments (as opposed to the SONG section) from MOX8? When I press the little keyboard (’edit instrument’) in Cubase, and then select ‘Voice’ in the upper left corner.. then when I change the Voice instrument (say, to PR1 > 071 > DX Pad), all the other PARTS/Tracks change to the same (PR1 > 071 > DX Pad) too. Is there a way to record and work on a song in Cubase using different Voice instruments for each individual track? I know you can use SONG for that, but there’s a slightly different sound to the VOICE instruments compared to the SONG instruments.

I assume this is not a possibility. And that’s not a big deal. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2021 @ 05:04 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

Song and Pattern modes are multitimbral - Voice mode isn’t.

These support articles should help you get Voices assigned to a Part in a Song to sound similar to how they do in Voice mode:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_parameter_with_voice

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_introducing_the_effects#

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2021 @ 05:09 PM
John Silas
Joined  03-21-2021
5pinDIN - 21 March 2021 05:04 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Song and Pattern modes are multitimbral - Voice mode isn’t.

These support articles should help you get Voices assigned to a Part in a Song to sound similar to how they do in Voice mode:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_parameter_with_voice

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_introducing_the_effects#

Thanks for your response. It doesn’t seem to work though. I press the P.WithVce, but it doesn’t change the sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2021 @ 05:45 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
John Silas - 24 March 2021 05:09 PM

Thanks for your response. It doesn’t seem to work though. I press the P.WithVce, but it doesn’t change the sound.

1) As explained in the support article, Parameter with Voice has to be turned on before the Voice is selected. If you already chose the Voice, then turn PwV on, select another Voice, then reselect the one you want.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue…
2) Other differences in the sound when in Voice mode versus as a Part of a Song/Pattern have to do with Effects, hence my referral to the second article.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2021 @ 03:23 PM
John Silas
Joined  03-21-2021
5pinDIN - 24 March 2021 05:45 PM
John Silas - 24 March 2021 05:09 PM

1) As explained in the support article, Parameter with Voice has to be turned on before the Voice is selected. If you already chose the Voice, then turn PwV on, select another Voice, then reselect the one you want.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue…
2) Other differences in the sound when in Voice mode versus as a Part of a Song/Pattern have to do with Effects, hence my referral to the second article.

1. I tried that, but it doesn’t work.

2. Yeah but it doesn’t say which effects specifically (that makes it sound like Voice mode).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2021 @ 05:54 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
John Silas - 25 March 2021 03:23 PM

Unless your MOX is malfunctioning (unlikely), Parameter with Voice will work. It may not do what you’d like, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t doing what it’s supposed to do.

John Silas -

2. Yeah but it doesn’t say which effects specifically (that makes it sound like Voice mode).

The article explains the difference between Insert Effects and System Effects, and how they work in the various modes, etc.

Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be such an article specific to the MOX, but this one for the Motif ES covers the basics of copying Voice data to Parts of a Mix:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/copying_voice_data_w_arpeggios_to_a_performance_or_mix_in_a_motif_es

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2021 @ 10:42 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
John Silas - 21 March 2021 04:40 PM

Hello. I really appreciate this site. It has helped me to figure out some crucial things. I have Yamaha MOX8 keyboard, and Cubase. The last thing I’d like help on, if possible, is to use the VOICE sounds from the MOX8… in Cubase. Is there a way to record tracks in Cubase with the VOICE instruments (as opposed to the SONG section) from MOX8? When I press the little keyboard (’edit instrument’) in Cubase, and then select ‘Voice’ in the upper left corner.. then when I change the Voice instrument (say, to PR1 > 071 > DX Pad), all the other PARTS/Tracks change to the same (PR1 > 071 > DX Pad) too. Is there a way to record and work on a song in Cubase using different Voice instruments for each individual track? I know you can use SONG for that, but there’s a slightly different sound to the VOICE instruments compared to the SONG instruments.

I assume this is not a possibility. And that’s not a big deal. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance.

If you want to work in voice mode using Cubase and you want to record a separate voice on each track without using Song/Performance mode. Use Audio tracks!

Add a audio track for each voice that you would like to use in Cubase.  I’m assuming you know how to create a stereo in under VST Connect. i.e. Pick USB 3/4, or 1/2 which ever is correct.

Anyway recording the separate voices as audio tracks will allow you to hear the voice in Cubase just as they sound in voice mode insert effects, system effects & master effect.  However, this approach restricts you to audio editing in Cubase

I’m not a big fan of Cubase, but because I have a Mox , I’ve done this from time to time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2021 @ 08:47 PM
John Silas
Joined  03-21-2021
5pinDIN - 25 March 2021 05:54 PM
John Silas - 25 March 2021 03:23 PM

Unless your MOX is malfunctioning (unlikely), Parameter with Voice will work. It may not do what you’d like, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t doing what it’s supposed to do.

John Silas -

The article explains the difference between Insert Effects and System Effects, and how they work in the various modes, etc.

Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be such an article specific to the MOX, but this one for the Motif ES covers the basics of copying Voice data to Parts of a Mix:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/copying_voice_data_w_arpeggios_to_a_performance_or_mix_in_a_motif_es

I don’t know what the problem is. But the sound won’t change. From Song mode, I go to Mixing > Edit > Track No. > P.WithVce to On > select instrument. But the sound just won’t change.

That article didn’t work for my keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2021 @ 08:49 PM
John Silas
Joined  03-21-2021
lastmonk - 26 March 2021 10:42 PM
John Silas - 21 March 2021 04:40 PM

If you want to work in voice mode using Cubase and you want to record a separate voice on each track without using Song/Performance mode. Use Audio tracks!

Add a audio track for each voice that you would like to use in Cubase.  I’m assuming you know how to create a stereo in under VST Connect. i.e. Pick USB 3/4, or 1/2 which ever is correct.

Anyway recording the separate voices as audio tracks will allow you to hear the voice in Cubase just as they sound in voice mode insert effects, system effects & master effect.  However, this approach restricts you to audio editing in Cubase

I’m not a big fan of Cubase, but because I have a Mox , I’ve done this from time to time.

Thanks for your response. I am aware of the Audio option, which is great. But I would prefer to use Instrument or Midi track, due to the editing capabilities.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2021 @ 11:06 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

John ,

Here’s the issue.

If you’re working in Midi only on Cubase(for editing purposes), you must realize that Midi data, does not contain your effects!  When things are setup correctly in Cubase you hear your insert effects because Cubase sends that same midi data back to your MOX8 in (Song mode, Pattern Mode, or Voice mode) on the appropriate channel and the effects are applied to the audio on your MOX8.

Now, if you want to only work in Voice mode, and (Midi in Cubase) then you would record the midi for the first Voice to Cubase on say Track 1.  and you try to pick another voice for Track 2 and Lets say you record the new voice on Track 2.  When you hit play back while you’re in Voice mode (on the MOX), both tracks will play back using whatever is currently assigned to Channel 1, which would be your second Voice.  Because Voice Mode can only talk (send/receive) to one channel at a time.  Both Track 1&2;would be sent to Channel 1 because you’re in Voice Mode.

Generically, Voice mode only communicates on Channel 1, So when Cubase is sending back your multiple tracks and you’re in Voice mode, all your tracks will go back to the MOX on Channel 1 and whatever Voice you had up last will play all of the Midi coming from Cubase and whatever effects you had set for current Voice would be the effects you would hear.

Moral of the Story, Voice Mode only works on 1 channel at a time.  Even if you have multiple tracks of Midi in Cubase, if you’re in Voice mode on the MOX its all going to a single channel.  Song/Pattern mode allows you to receive Midi back from Cubase on multiple channels (That’s why you can hear different voices at the same time, with each voice having its own effects).

When you’re editing in Midi on Cubase, your effects are still being played on the MOX.  The only way to hear your effects with a voice (without your mox being involved is to convert that Midi to Audio)

Keep in Mind that the Effects are part of the Audio Signal, not the Midi Signal.  If you’re in Cubase and you’ve only recorded Midi, then the effects that you’re hearing will be coming from the Audio signal of your MOX.  However, once the whole thing has been recorded to Audio, then the effects can be heard on anything that can play Wav, AIFF, mp3, etc.

If you don’t want to work with Song/Pattern Mode with Cubase, then your best strategy is to do all of the Midi editing on your MOX and when you’re happy record it as audio in Cubase. Otherwise you’ll have to follow up on what 5pinDIN gave you and learn how to properly use Song/Pattern Mode with insert effects, system effects, and master effects that you had set up in Voice mode.

Keep in mind, that along with the Part-With-Voice settings, while in Song/Pattern Mode, you have to have INS SW effects clicked to on for the appropriate parts in order for the voices to sound properly.  Remember in Voice mode, you could be listening to:

Insert FX
System FX
Master FX

Those all have to be set up properly in Song/Pattern mode in order for your voices to sound correct.

Also keep in mind that a single Voice and its effects sound one way by itself, but combined with other voices and their effects, things change, you could have conflicts, etc.  That’s why its usually best to work it all out on your MOX in Song mode, Pattern, or Performance mode when you’re listening to multiple voices(with effects) at the same time. Before going to Cubase.  Unless the plan is to use Cubase’s effects (which imo are not going to match your MOX’s effects!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2021 @ 03:04 PM
John Silas
Joined  03-21-2021
lastmonk - 02 April 2021 11:06 PM

Keep in mind, that along with the Part-With-Voice settings, while in Song/Pattern Mode, you have to have INS SW effects clicked to on for the appropriate parts in order for the voices to sound properly.  Remember in Voice mode, you could be listening to:

Insert FX
System FX
Master FX

Those all have to be set up properly in Song/Pattern mode in order for your voices to sound correct.

That was the missing piece of information that I accidentally stumbled across. Thank you. I was messing around on the MOX and I found that changing the INS SW to on made the instrument sound like they do in voice mode.

So I go to Song > Mixing > press P.WithVce to on > select instrument for that part/track > press F6 Effect > press SF2 INS SW > use the arrows to go to the track/part I want to change to ‘Voice’ sound > switch it to on

That seems to make the part/track sound like Voice mode. The only downside is that I can only seem to change 3 tracks/parts for each song. But that’s probably alright.

I see you’re a Jazz head, by the way. That’s cool. That is basically the kind of music I play as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2021 @ 07:50 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

Good news, glad you’re moving in the right direction.

The MoX is a very deep instrument., it will pay off to learn all you can about it.  I’ve had one for a few years now, and I’m still learning brand new stuff all the time.  Its very deep.  I started off learning my MoX with this:

https://shop.motifator.com/dvds/motif-series-yamaha-dvds/discovering-the-yamaha-mox-dvd.html

For me it was worth the money.

Yea, I’m definitely all about the Jazz thing, and lots of originals, But I’m also mixing Dubstep with Classical in a few experiments at the moment, and squeezing every ounce I can out of my Motif/Mox

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2021 @ 12:42 PM
John Silas
Joined  03-21-2021
lastmonk - 03 April 2021 07:50 PM

Good news, glad you’re moving in the right direction.

The MoX is a very deep instrument., it will pay off to learn all you can about it.  I’ve had one for a few years now, and I’m still learning brand new stuff all the time.  Its very deep.  I started off learning my MoX with this:

https://shop.motifator.com/dvds/motif-series-yamaha-dvds/discovering-the-yamaha-mox-dvd.html

For me it was worth the money.

Yea, I’m definitely all about the Jazz thing, and lots of originals, But I’m also mixing Dubstep with Classical in a few experiments at the moment, and squeezing every ounce I can out of my Motif/Mox

Cheers!

Sorry for the very late response. Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check it out.

Interesting. Where can I listen your music?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2021 @ 09:31 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

Here’s a recent a gig I did for a Covid benefit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMfWjbP89Y4

My Motif/Mox/MM8/QY100 are all featured LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2021 @ 02:50 PM
John Silas