mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF8 MIDI control in performance mode - possible?"

Posted on: September 20, 2020 @ 11:02 AM
zippydog
Total Posts:  153
Joined  04-01-2011

I play live using my MOTIF XF and manage all sound changes in performance mode.  I’m thinking about adding a midi only instrument to my rig and would like to incorporate it in performance mode.

My first choice would be to add the external instrument as one of the four available in performance mode, but don’t know if I can assign a different midi channel to one of them in this way.  Said differently, I’d like to be able to move from one performance using all Motif sounds to another combining motif sounds with the outboard midi module being triggered by the motif.  Possible?  If not, is there a way in performance mode to have the motif control an external instrument without having to fuss with master settings between songs in a live show environment?

If it helps at all, I’m currently using iMIDIPatchbay (midi program change/set list app) on an iPad Pro to send program changes to my motif and Korg Kronos, so that is how I would send program changes to the new device as well.  Where I’m stuck is how to easily toggle my motif from sound source to midi controller and back in a live set.

Suggestions?  Thanks so much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2020 @ 12:28 PM
zippydog
Total Posts:  153
Joined  04-01-2011

MASTER MODE!
I may have been doing it wrong all this time.
I think I can do what I described above if I’m in master mode, which I probably should have been using all along for live performances, regardless of my new need to control a MIDI sound module.

If I have it right, I have 128 slots in master mode into which I can drop anything, including MIDI zones and channels.  I think I’ll set up and save all of my current performances in master mode, then weed them into two sets, one for each band I play in, so I can open up some slots in both performance and master mode and just load each band’s stuff from its own file.  Woot!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2020 @ 02:13 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
zippydog - 20 September 2020 12:28 PM

MASTER MODE!
I may have been doing it wrong all this time.
I think I can do what I described above if I’m in master mode, which I probably should have been using all along for live performances, regardless of my new need to control a MIDI sound module.

If I have it right, I have 128 slots in master mode into which I can drop anything, including MIDI zones and channels.  I think I’ll set up and save all of my current performances in master mode, then weed them into two sets, one for each band I play in, so I can open up some slots in both performance and master mode and just load each band’s stuff from its own file.  Woot!

You are correct!

Master Mode gives you the ultimate flexibility. Especially if you want to integrate other external Midi instruments

[ Ignore ]