mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Editing a Voice, so why does Common LED light engage?"

Posted on: September 12, 2020 @ 08:41 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Not a big deal, I guess, but in my constant quest to actually UNDERSTAND what’s going “under the hood” of my MOXF8, I’m wondering something.

If I’m Editing a Voice that I’m using in a Song already, but now I want to tweak some aspect of it, why would the Common LED light come on and the screen says Common. Am I NOT editing the specific Voice. And if it’s indeed Common am I tweaking stuff that’s going to affect other voices or the System effects or what exactly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2020 @ 06:34 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

COMMON EDIT relates to Parameters “common” to (affecting) all Elements of the specific Voice. Don’t confuse Common with Global, which relates to all of the synth or all Programs of a particular mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2020 @ 10:59 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

A-Ha! Thanks. Follow-up, please.

If I use the assignable knobs on the left to adjust EQ on a Part does that EQ adjustment simply “lay” over everything on that Part till changed?  Would there be any need to use OVERDUB to lock in those EQ changes? 

If I go into the VOICE EDIT menu to turn the Output up 10 points (and then hit Store/Enter) that Voice will sound that way ONLY during use in THAT particular Song.

Can I take that Voice (as tweaked in either scenario) and convert it to a USER VOICE? Or must USER VOICES flow out of Voice mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2020 @ 08:25 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 19 September 2020 10:59 PM

A-Ha! Thanks.

You’re welcome.

muscarella -

Follow-up, please.

If I use the assignable knobs on the left to adjust EQ on a Part does that EQ adjustment simply “lay” over everything on that Part till changed?  Would there be any need to use OVERDUB to lock in those EQ changes?

That depends on what you mean by “lock in”.

During a recording session, as long as you don’t select another Song, any offsets to Parameters due to knob adjustments will apply. A sequencer Track doesn’t record such Voice Parameters, so using “Overdub” (or even “Replace") won’t accomplish anything in that respect.

On the other hand, if you want to retain any edits to Parameters even if moving away from the current Song, then it’s probably best to store the Voice as a Mixing Voice.

muscarella -

If I go into the VOICE EDIT menu to turn the Output up 10 points (and then hit Store/Enter) that Voice will sound that way ONLY during use in THAT particular Song.

If stored as a Mixing Voice, yes. However, a Mixing Voice can be copied to another Song - see [F3]COPY on page 123 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

muscarella -

Can I take that Voice (as tweaked in either scenario) and convert it to a USER VOICE? Or must USER VOICES flow out of Voice mode?

On the Motif XS and XF, besides the 256 Mixing Voice locations, there’s the option to save the edited Voice in one of the User Voice bank locations. I don’t know offhand if that choice is available on the MOXF - hopefully a MOXF owner familiar with this will respond.

[ Ignore ]