mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Basic skills and features for MIXING Song tracks"

Posted on: July 07, 2020 @ 10:48 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I’ve been creating 16 track arrangements on my MOXf for a looooooong time but it has finally dawned on me that I really don’t know what I’m doing.

And I’m talking about the most basic stuff. I seldom tweak EQ or anything like that, cause I’m usually just trying to put a song together to add to my repertoire, sometimes from scratch, sometimes from a MIDI file. And I’ve gotten pretty good on related tasks like re-recording the drums or bass, creating Patterns vs Songs, but the truth is when it comes to just the simple task of using the MIX and Record features, I’m doing WAY too much trial and error.

Some basic questions that still cause much frustration for me.

MUST you Mix one track at a time? If I can call up a bank of four faders on the screen AND if the Record function offers not just Channel One as the target but also ALL. Does that mean multiple tweaked faders are getting recorded cause it’s an ALL recording. 

If I go into Overdub mode and hit Record and simply listen while riding the Volume knob what is actually happening on the track? Are Events being automatically added (like I see with a Mod Wheel or Expression) but invisibly? 

Does starting each channel sequence with a Volume Event make any difference? 

And what is the technical rules about when or how how the Volume returns to the previous Volume, after doing an Overdub type re-mix.

It’s very frustrating that the Volume remains where you last left it. I’m not sure what the alternative is, but I just know I keep tripping up on.

Maybe there is a primer on Motif-style Mixing I should be reading because I really enjoy the process creatively, but I just KNOW I am doing things the hard way. For example, I do a lot of Overdub recordings and just keeps hitting the UNDO button, but there is probably a better way.

Or maybe someone could describe their personal work-flow, what works for them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2020 @ 11:20 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

16 Track arrangements of what?

Are we talking Drums, SPX, MFX?

Orchestral Stuff?

It all depends on what you’re trying to arrange?

But here’s a general rule of thumb.,.,

If it feels good, and sounds good, keep doing it, It doesn’t matter whether you know what you’re doing or not.

There is no right way to mix there are only better ways to mix.  Depending on what you’re mixing and what you want it to sound like or taste like when you’re done the possibilities are literally endless.  And if you really want to know down and dirty truth, the more times you listen to it, no matter how its mixed, it’ll grow on you, and before you know it you’ll be hummin it , or hearing it in your head.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2020 @ 12:28 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I’m just putting together Songs as backing tracks to playing and singing along in a “live” situation. It’s mostly pop standards, blues, R&B;, soul, so the instruments are simple but I might occasionally add strings or horns, but usually just a virtual “quintet” or “sextet” where I’ve tweaked or recorded or inserted sequencing or heavily revised an existing MIDI file. 

It’s not so much the aesthetic aspect (since I’m doing everything using Preset Voices and other then effects I’m not doing a lot of processing) but the STEPS and procedures I’m using just seem much too hit or miss. So I’m looking for ways to not just streamline but to work more intuitively.

I understand how Punch-in works vs Overdub. And Overdub can be used to change parameters like Volume, EQ, Pan, etc. in real time and I’ve come to understand the Event list and the Gate and Time parameters. 

But to go back to the question about how to Mix multiple tracks in real time. If I hit Record-Overdub and ride the volume fader on a Part with a sequence/Voice in place is that the same as inserting a CC (Volume) Event at each point that I turned the knob? 

What IS the “official” Volume of a Part at the beginning of the sequence?  Is it what I see on the tiny LED Mix panel? I see the animation of the fader, which makes sense, but it also seems that if I go back to a section of the Song the volume has reverted to some other value (some OTHER value) and now I’m wondering what did I just record? What the value that shows on the assigned/dedicated Knob (4 at a time) for the Part? Does that number represent the Volume at THE POINT I’m checking it in the sequence or does it only show you the Volume at the beginning of the sequence? I presume the latter, but I still don’t understand HOW the Mix mode works and what idiosyncracy there MIGHT be that I’d better be aware of when looking at the LED representation.

So lately, mostly because of uncertainty above, I’ve taken to inserting CC for every Volume change I want to be SURE it is recorded (as a visible Event) and doesn’t mysteriously disappear— but that also seems like a very mechanical and un-intuitive way of working. I’m simply guessing at a number, then listening, then going back and changing that number—surely that’s not how it should be. 

I’m also unsure whether “what you hear is what you get” when it comes to EQ. Does tweaking the EQ and then SAVING the entire Song lock in that EQ change forever?  Or do I merely or also (or not at all) have to actually use the Record-Overdub method in real time? And, again, does that assign that EQ to the entire length of the track and if that’s not what I want, at what point do I re-cue and go again with a new or different EQ setting—and RECORD (SAVE?) that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2020 @ 01:31 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

I would recommend this:

http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/discovering-the-yamaha-mox-dvd.html

The section on pattern and song recording will answer all the questions you seem to be asking.
I own this DVD its very well done, and worth the the $35. 

While recording in Song/Pattern (Replace and Overdub) mode, changes to the volume knobs will be recorded.

You can apply any scenes during overdub as well.  They will also be recorded.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2020 @ 11:39 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I have tried to boil and distill my questions down and posted them as a different Subject. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to delete this post or even how to do that, but please find my revised post.

[ Ignore ]