mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "LCD life"

Posted on: June 13, 2020 @ 03:26 AM
chipd
Total Posts:  8
Joined  06-02-2020

There is an adjustment knob on my Motif XF for the LCD.  What position should this knob be at for maximum lifespan?  I can read it just fine at either extreme and halfway.  So my only concern is lifespan. Any advise would be appreciated

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2020 @ 07:45 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

What mostly tends to eventually affect LCD performance is brightness of the backlight, which in the XF’s display is done by CCFLs (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps). The backlight is rated for about 60,000 hours of operation. If the XF had an LCD brightness control, that setting could determine CCFL life, but of course there is no such control on Motifs.

Another issue that can affect an LCD is image retention, often referred to as screen burn. Since the XF typically displays a static (unchanging) image for long periods, that might be somewhat of a concern. Lower contrast can tend to minimize any potential for that to happen, so the LCD CONTRAST control setting might have an effect on screen burn.

If screen burn is truly a concern, you could periodically change the “Type” and “Name Position” settings for the display. See page 220 of the XF Reference Manual.

I’m personally less interested in LCD life than my comfort in reading the display, so I set the CONTRAST control accordingly. If you don’t mind a low-contrast image, then I suppose such a setting could be appropriate based on your usage. (By the way, I’m a bit surprised that you “can read it just fine at either extreme” - on my own XF the image is very “washed out” at one end of the control setting.)

Speaking of personal choices, I also have set the screen color to “Yellow”, which I find much more to my liking than the default red. “To each his/her own.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2020 @ 09:10 PM
chipd
Joined  06-02-2020

I assume by your response that LCD replacement is rather cheap and straight forward.  That is a relief.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2020 @ 07:22 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
chipd - 13 June 2020 09:10 PM

I assume by your response that LCD replacement is rather cheap and straight forward.  That is a relief.

Since I didn’t address those issues, those assumptions are unwarranted. You might want to obtain the XF Service Manual and research the cost and availability of the LCD.

I presented the facts as I know them, and offered my personal lack of concern over the LCD’s lifespan. There are enough things that could have a significant impact on my own lifespan - in my opinion, an LCD in a Motif pales by comparison. If someone feels differently, then I would expect them to act accordingly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2020 @ 11:18 AM
chipd
Joined  06-02-2020

I consider a lightbulb a wear item.  Color LCDs have backlights that fail. I was just hoping to figure out if there is any position i can keep the lcd adjustment knob on to maximize lifespan.  My motif often stays on for often a hundred plus hours a week.  It is 7 years old already.  I guess i should just get a spare screen and keep it in my stockpile before they are no longer available.  And a service manual too.  As long as it is just set screws and ribbon cables that is quick.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ best computer to use with FW16e
Next Topic:

Keeping Your Pedals In Place ››