mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Voice sounds different when used in Multi"

Posted on: December 21, 2019 @ 08:33 PM
gltech
Total Posts:  2
Joined  04-10-2013

Hello, I have a original Tone Generator rack. I’m trying to set up a Multi, but when I choose a voice for one of the parts, it doesn’t sound the same as it does in Voice mode. Organ PRE1 #69 “Expensive” is the voice in question, but I’ve noticed the same thing with other voices too. I’ve studied the manual and don’t see anything related. Any ideas? Am I misunderstanding the way “Multi” works? I thought it was for layering multiple voices, and that a voice as part of a multi would sound the same as it does in voice mode.

Thanks,
-Glenn

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2019 @ 12:53 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The difference being heard is basically due to System Effects (reverb and chorus) not being copied from the Voice to the Multi.

This thread…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/446890/
...although about the Rack ES, explains the reasoning. If you have a compatible computer, you may find that the Melas software mentioned might be useful.

The Using Multi Effects section of the Motif Rack Owners Manual (pages 49-51) covers setting up effects in Multi mode.

This support article might also be helpful:
http://files.keyfax.com/PDFs/Motif_rackFX.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2019 @ 02:24 AM
gltech
Joined  04-10-2013

Thanks 5pinDIN! That was the info I needed.

In my case, it was the voice’s Dual Insertion Effects that made the difference. The PRE1 #69 “Expensive” voice has overdrive and modulation for the insertion effects. I learned how you can use Job->Copy to “activate” (as they say in the pdf) the insertion effects for a voice used as a part in a Multi.

I wonder why the Dual Insertion Effects don’t carry over to a Multi by default.

-Glenn

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2019 @ 09:16 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
gltech - 22 December 2019 02:24 AM

Thanks 5pinDIN! That was the info I needed.

You’re welcome.

In my case, it was the voice’s Dual Insertion Effects that made the difference. The PRE1 #69 “Expensive” voice has overdrive and modulation for the insertion effects. I learned how you can use Job->Copy to “activate” (as they say in the pdf) the insertion effects for a voice used as a part in a Multi.

I’m glad that did the trick for you. It’s often that the System Effects are the problem, but of course if the Insert Effects don’t carry over to a Part in the Multi, then the characteristics of that sound will be significantly affected.

I wonder why the Dual Insertion Effects don’t carry over to a Multi by default.

It’s unclear why Yamaha made that decision. I have a couple of later keyboard models (XS6 & XF6), and the Insert Effects do copy to Parts in the Performance and Multi modes (Song/Pattern) by default. Those models also have “Parameter with Voice”, which can be turned on/off to determine whether other Voice Parameters (Arp settings, Filter Cutoff Frequency, Filter Resonance, Amplitude EG, Filter EG, Pitch Bend Range (Upper/Lower), and Note Shift) copy to a Part. It’s evident that the models evolved with time, but the Classic Motif ones still get the job done. Have fun!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2020 @ 06:06 PM
midime2
Joined  03-19-2014

gtech, can you tell me how you use JOB COPY to activate insertion effects. I don’t get that.  Thanks

[ Ignore ]