mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "connect Motif 6 classic and Moxf to Cubase elements"

Posted on: May 21, 2019 @ 05:40 PM
johpat
Total Posts:  61
Joined  10-08-2003

Hey,

Apologies in advance for my poor English.
Who can help me. I have a Moxf8 and a Motif6. With this I want to include something in cubase Elements. I want a trail for my moxf (left hand) and one for my motif (right hand for the melody).
What is the best way to connect? Connect both via the USB or loop through the motif with the midi cable from the moxf.
In short, I want the left hand and right hand on a separate track.
Hope someone understands me :) and can helps me.

greeting
Johpat

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2019 @ 09:15 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Johpat,

Unless you have a really specific reason to do so, are you aware that you don’t need to use two separate keyboards to do this?

There’s nothing wrong with hooking up the MOXF via USB MIDI and recording left hand and right hand together on the same track using the same MIDI channel. 

Once you’ve done that, you can make a copy of that track, set it to another MIDI channel and delete all data that isn’t in the right hand.  Then, go back to the first track and delete all data that isn’t in the left hand. 

You could also record the left hand separately to one track first and then the right hand separately to another afterwards.

If those suggestions aren’t suitable, is there a really specific reason why you wanted to use a different keyboard for each hand?

I was wondering if there was a specific Voice on the Motif Classic that you can’t live without, or something like that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2019 @ 01:30 AM
johpat
Joined  10-08-2003

ello Mr. Philwood Music, thank you very much for your prompt response. I was also thinking about it as you recommend it.
the reason is actually that I want the melody to have a different sound.
I don’t have the Moxf that long. Connecting the Moxf is easy.
the question remains how I can best connect the Moxf8 and the motif6 to the computer via usb or via usb and midi in and midi out.
I use the motif6 to play solo / melody, among other things, because it has lighter keys.
thanks again for your message.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2019 @ 12:39 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Given the age of the Motif Classic and the fact that I know nothing about it, I would go with the following cabling and set up:

- Connect your MOXF to your computer via USB. Make sure you have the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver installed.

- Connect your Motif Classic to your MOXF via 5 pin midi cables. Motif Classic MIDI OUT to MOXF MIDI IN and then MOXF MIDI OUT to Motif Classic MIDI IN.

- Set the MOXF to MIDI I/O = USB.

You can now record MIDI data to Cubase from either or both keyboards and Ports can be selected on each Cubase track for specific routing.

In terms of routing MIDI output:

MOXF Port 1 is parts 1-16 of the MOXF synth engine.
MOXF Port 3 is for devices connected to the MOXF via 5 pin MIDI cables.

In terms of triggering your devices during play back (input):

MOXF Port 1 is the MOXF.

MOXF Port 3 is your Motif Classic.

I do not know if Cubase Elements will allow you to record on two MIDI tracks simultaneously though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2019 @ 12:42 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Just a further note to say that the original methods I suggested would certainly allow you to end up with different voices for left and right hands.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2019 @ 01:28 PM
johpat
Joined  10-08-2003

Mister Philwoodmusic,
Thank you so much for your suggestion/advice. I shall try to do that.

[ Ignore ]