mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Applying Different Pitch Bend Values to Each Note in the Same MIDI Channel"

Posted on: March 05, 2019 @ 12:31 PM
MarkJohnson
Total Posts:  75
Joined  09-03-2013

A 2015 article in the following link:

Insights into VST and its virtual instruments
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/vst_story.html

states: “VST 3 has evolved in regard to VST 2, and I’d like to just tell you about three representative features. The first is the extension we added to MIDI which will allow more precision and flexibility. This extension eliminates the 16-channel limitation on the number of channels and allows a unique ID to be assigned to each MIDI note. Due to this, you can apply a different pitch bend to each note in the same MIDI channel.”

I’m intrigued with how to implement this. I use Cubase with Steinberg and non-Steinberg VSTs.  Does anyone know how to do this?

This would be great for mimicking steel pedal voicings in a VST where, for example, you could move from a G-B-D to a G-C-E bending the B 1/2 step and the D 1 whole step.

Mark

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2019 @ 07:10 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

I think what you mean is called ‘Note Expression’ in Steinberg lingo. ;-)
They put up this video showing how to use it with one of their own VSTs in it. Individual pitch bend is shown around the 3-minute mark.
I suspect it’ll be down to the 3rd party VST3 developers how they cater for handling this extra information, or maybe they must implement it to have the right to use the VST3 logo? (I think Steinberg opened up the patent though, so that may be BS on my behalf ;-))

EDIT: Just after 5 minutes, the video also explains that “Note expression requires a compatible instrument” so I don’t think all VST3 instruments will handle this correctly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2019 @ 12:27 PM
MarkJohnson
Joined  09-03-2013

Thanks, zpink!  That video was very informative.  I’ll have to upgrade from Cubase Elements to at least Artist to get that feature.  What a cool capability.  Hopefully there will be more adoption by other vendors to incorporate this into their products in the future.

The video that followed the one you posted was another explanation by Greg Ondo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqfYm4MzfAU

Thanks

Mark

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2019 @ 02:21 PM
MarkJohnson
Joined  09-03-2013

FYI:  Here’s an interesting way to apply Note Expession to VSTs that are pre version 3.5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A38SIoVoCw

Mark

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2019 @ 03:34 PM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014

I can’t test any of these things myself, I’m also on Elements.
No plans to upgrade here since I don’t use any VST instruments these days, and Elements fill all my needs when it comes to recording (and using a ton of Audio plugins). :-)
I hope you’ll find it useful if you do decide to upgrade though!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2019 @ 10:32 AM
MarkJohnson
Joined  09-03-2013

I’m comfortable with Elements too.  Every now and then I hear about a feature in the Artist and Pro versions that capture my interest, but my primary needs are for music creation and less so for production.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2019 @ 11:32 AM
MarkJohnson
Joined  09-03-2013

Are either the MOTIF or MOXF VST editors compatible with version 3.5 of the VST spec?

Mark

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2019 @ 12:26 PM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014

It’ll be more down to the synth engine, AWM2, than the editor if it’s the note expression you’re after.
AFAIK, they don’t support multi after-touch etc. so afraid not.
I only know of one Yamaha synth that had poly after touch, the somewhat pricey CS80. ;-)

I may soon be corrected though, :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase Map Expression and MOTIF XF
Next Topic:

Should I upgrade to Cubase Pro? Safely..? ››