mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mastermode: controling a module (Nord Rack 2) program select?"

Posted on: February 14, 2019 @ 01:29 PM
Michiel D
Total Posts:  191
Joined  11-16-2009

Hi there,

I recently added a Nord Rack 2 to my setup, with the Motif ES at the centre.
In mastermode I can use the 4 zones to contol the Rack, layer or split.
Unfortunately I can setup a split or a layer, can program octave +/- of tune +/- but what doesn’t seem to work is to adress the correct sounds in de Rack. I found out which MSB/ LSB bank numbers to use, but the only sounds I here are the sounds selected on the Rack itself. Any suggestion where the issue might be/ how to solve this? (I did set ‘program change/ select’ to ‘on’ for the external/ MIDI parts in the Master setup...).
Thanks for any help! Kind regards, Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2019 @ 02:21 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Before getting into this from the ES end, are you sure that the Nord is properly configured?

I suggest that you put the ES in Voice mode, change Voices from the ES front panel, and see if the Nord follows along.

Let us know what happens.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2019 @ 12:22 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

Thanks for your reply! OK .. step by step ... when the ES is in Voice mode the Rack voice plays along (like a layer).
When I change the voice on the ES, the Rack voice charges along (+1 = +1 on the Rack).

The question remains how the Rack will response to MSB/ LSB values when I put the ES in Master mode, ‘zone switch on’. I can get a split or layer using the programs selected on the Rack. Octave shift and note shift also will respond (rack), and the note range, too. I have TG set ‘of’ and external/ MIDI to ‘on’, only way to change the sounds on the Rack is to change them on the rack. Should be possible changing them with the MSB/LSB program change settings ... ? But how to setup the ES so that the Rack will respond?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2019 @ 02:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Michiel D - 15 February 2019 12:22 PM

Thanks for your reply! OK .. step by step ... when the ES is in Voice mode the Rack voice plays along (like a layer).
When I change the voice on the ES, the Rack voice charges along (+1 = +1 on the Rack).

OK, that verifies the Nord rack can receive and respond to Program Change (PC) messages the way it’s set up.

Michiel D -

The question remains how the Rack will response to MSB/ LSB values when I put the ES in Master mode, ‘zone switch on’. I can get a split or layer using the programs selected on the Rack. Octave shift and note shift also will respond (rack), and the note range, too. I have TG set ‘of’ and external/ MIDI to ‘on’, only way to change the sounds on the Rack is to change them on the rack. Should be possible changing them with the MSB/LSB program change settings ... ? But how to setup the ES so that the Rack will respond?

Does your Nord change banks when the ES sends Bank Select (BS) MSB/LSB?

If BS MSB/LSB and PC are programmed correctly in the Master’s Zone, and the Zone with those settings is active, and the Zone’s Transmit Channel matches the receive channel of the Nord, and the Zone’s MIDISwitch is “on”, and the Zone’s Transmit Switch settings for Bank(MIDI) and PC(MIDI) are “on”, then the messages should be sent when the Master is selected.

See Zone Edit on pages 272-273 of the ES Owner’s Manual for details.

You might also find this support article helpful: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/understanding_motif_es_master_mode

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2019 @ 04:22 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

Mr. 5pinDIN just found out how is does work ... when I select the MSB/LSB and program change numbers, you don’t haar any change (as you do hear change the Rack programs when in voice mode). But when you enter the numbers and then press ‘store’, .... the Master mode does send the changed values i.e. the new selected program.

I was hoping to ‘scroll’ through the voices (changing the PC numbers) on the fly, listening to a combination that works ... but this doesn’t seem to work (with every change you have to press ‘store’ and ‘enter/yes’ .... Maybe this is just the way it works .. or is there a way in which the program selected changes realtime when you change the PC number?

Kind regards, Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2019 @ 05:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

As you determined, with the ES (and Classic) this setting isn’t meant to be sent when changed “on the fly”, it’s supposed to be set and stored. When you select a Master the BS and PC are sent and the gear will change to the sound you preselected.

On an XS or XF there’s a “MIDI Send” function that can be toggled on/off while editing the Master Presets. When it’s “on”, the changes made are immediately sent, without the need to STORE.

With your ES Motif, what you’re experiencing is normal operation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2019 @ 04:20 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

Thanks for explaining, fortunately I also have an XS so I think I’m gonne rewire the MIDI cables and try out : )
Kind regards!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2019 @ 08:24 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Michiel D - 16 February 2019 04:20 AM

Thanks for explaining, fortunately I also have an XS so I think I’m gonne rewire the MIDI cables and try out : )
Kind regards!

You’re welcome. For the XS, see the Owner’s Manual,
Default Settings for each Zone - [F4] Preset,
(6) [F6] MIDI Send on pages 256-257.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2019 @ 11:17 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

Thanks again! By the way, any idea if there is a risk of ‘timing differences/ issues’ when you couple a lot of synths with MIDI? (my main synth is ES7, goes to XS6 IN, from XS6 through to an SY77 and from XS6 out to the NL rack, from SY77 through to a second soundmodule). All synths go to a mixer, except the NL Rack, that one goes to the INPUT of the XS6 (to use the XS effects on the NL rack).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2019 @ 12:30 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

A hardware MIDI Thru port on modern gear typically introduces very little latency. Of course, delays are additive with devices in a daisy chain, but a chain of three or so isn’t likely to cause anything audible.

However, some older MIDI gear was slower, and some Thru ports done in software also might also introduce delays. A few milliseconds of latency isn’t noticeable, but at about 10ms or beyond most people can detect it.

You’ll probably be OK with what you’re doing, but of course the best test is your ears.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ PLG150AN & DX on ES
Next Topic:

In Search of a Voice ››