mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How do I set AS1 to control Porta time?"

Posted on: November 06, 2018 @ 01:38 PM
Airlane1979
Total Posts:  29
Joined  12-03-2017

I want to use AS1 knob to control portamento time, so I can play a lead line with occasional dramatic upward or downward pitch shifts. The manual is unclear and I’m confused as to why there is both a Common and a Voice assignable setting for the two free controls. It’s also unclear as to conflicts between the Voice Play Mode Porta time and the other time amount set in the Voice Ctrl Set for the assignable controls.

And I’m confused as to how to use the 6 Ctrl Sets - aren’t there conflicts if I set the same assignable controller to have different destinations in each Set?

Someone please give me a clear guide as to how these work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2018 @ 03:11 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Knobs provide offsets to the basic Parameter setting programmed in the Voice. In other words, a knob can increase or decrease (depending on whether the Depth setting is positive or negative) the level of a Parameter already set in the Voice.

A particular controller can have multiple destinations. For example, with MW as the Source in two Controller Sets, chorus could be increased in one Controller Set while reverb is decreased by another.

A controller can even have two Controller Sets with the same Destination. It’s actually possible to have such settings where the controller and Destinations are the same but the Depths are equal value and opposite (one positive, one negative). In that case using the controller will have no effect, since while one controller set increases the offset, the other decreases it by the same amount, resulting in cancellation of any change. Of course, that wouldn’t be typical usage.

My suggestion is that you experiment a bit to have a better sense of how things are affected. You won’t break anything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2018 @ 04:35 AM
Airlane1979
Joined  12-03-2017
5pinDIN - 06 November 2018 03:11 PM

My suggestion is that you experiment a bit to have a better sense of how things are affected. You won’t break anything.

Useful information, thanks. I’m struggling even to get this one task done - what is the simplest method of setting AS1 to control Porta Time on a voice? There are so many parameters (Common, Voice etc) that I can’t even get that working.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2018 @ 09:16 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

See…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469722/
Page 38 of the MX Owner’s Manual
Page 52 of the MX Reference Manual
Page 42 of the Synthesizer Parameter Manual (http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/mx49mx61synth_en_pm_a0.pdf)
MX Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/57920)

The Portamento Switch should be on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2018 @ 11:01 AM
Airlane1979
Joined  12-03-2017

Thanks again for that info - the other thread is especially helpful. I find the MX to be unnecessarily complicated. I’ve decades of experience of synths, even programming DX FM synths, yet this one is causing me to struggle. I’m gradually getting the hang of it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2018 @ 12:23 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Airlane1979 - 07 November 2018 11:01 AM

Thanks again for that info - the other thread is especially helpful.

You’re welcome.

Airlane1979 -

I find the MX to be unnecessarily complicated. I’ve decades of experience of synths, even programming DX FM synths, yet this one is causing me to struggle. I’m gradually getting the hang of it.

I hear you. I find the Motif family synths to be “deep”, but I think a significant part of the problem is the manuals being less than transparent.

My own experience also goes back several decades, including writing editor/librarian and other software for some earlier synths. Yet I still sometimes have to dig into the manuals for my XS and XF to determine how to do something that I would have expected to be easier. I’m no longer surprised - “it is what it is”.

[ Ignore ]