mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MX send Program Change MIDI message"

Posted on: September 15, 2018 @ 02:31 PM
MarkP
Total Posts:  6
Joined  08-09-2006

Hello!  I asked this question at Yamahasynth.com and received a “no” answer from Bad Mister.  I tried to respond but their site is having problems.  I’ll explain the situation and maybe one of you guys can help…

Here is my original post:

Hello everyone! I have a quick question about the MX…

Can I send program change messages to an external controller keyboard?

For example, I have a programmable MIDI keyboard I use as a second playing surface with the MX49. I’m able to program zones in order to do layers and splits. Can I send the external controller a message to change to a particular saved program per Performance? This way I can use the MX to select a Performance and have the controller on the correct program without having to manually select it.

I hope this question is clear. Thanks in advance for your time.

-Mark

And here is the response from Bad Mister:

No. Your controller keyboard should be sending all messages… after all, it is your *controller*.

Of course I believe Bad Mister but I can’t figure out what the part of the manual that I attached as an image means.  It states

PgmChange - Determines whether or not this instrument enables Program Change messages to be both transmitted and received. When this is set to “on,” this synthesizer responds to incoming Program Change messages, and it also transmits appropriate Program Change messages (when using the panel).

I read elsewhere that the MX sends a Bank Change/Program Change message commensurate to what the selection is you’re making on the MX.  Is this true?  Will it work when selecting performances? 

I am confused. 

Thanks, everyone!

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 2.11.52 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2018 @ 03:11 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Yes, the MX can send Program Change messages as described in the manual. However, I can understand BM’s attitude, since it isn’t clear what the relationship is between the MX and the “controller” keyboard.

If the MX is interfaced via MIDI to a computer, then I suggest that you run a compatible MIDI Monitor program and look at what the MX is sending. By the way, completing the member profile can often allow help to be more directed to your particular needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2018 @ 03:48 PM
MarkP
Joined  08-09-2006

Thanks for your reply and the suggestion.  I will run the MIDI monitor, that should help clear things up. 

The relationship is that I use a Studiologic SL73 to play parts on the MX49.  Typically I have it playing part 3 on MIDI channel 3 playing a piano or keyboard sound and the MX49 playing parts 1 and/or 2 with synths, horns, etc.  There are occasions where I would like to layer or split the SL73 which can be done through its zone programming (ie using both MIDI channels 3 and 4 to create a layer).  I can do this currently but it requires me to manually change the program on the SL73 along with selecting the Performance on the MX49.  My hope is to have the MX 49 send a PC message to the SL73 with each Performance selection to have the corresponding program selected. 

In other words, I am not using the SL73 to select the performances on the MX49, so perhaps “controller” isn’t the right terminology. 

Thanks again for your time.  It is my intention to be as polite and clear as possible, I’m sorry if it didn’t come across that way to you or to Bad Mister.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2018 @ 04:06 PM
MarkP
Joined  08-09-2006

The MX is sending the proper PC messages.  I just have to figure out how to make the SL7 respond. 

Thanks for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2018 @ 07:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome! I’m glad you were able to verify that the MX is sending the expected messages. Also, thanks for clarifying the arrangement of your gear.

I didn’t think you were being impolite. It was just that there wasn’t enough detail in your initial post to determine how the PC messages from the MX were going to be used. In some cases users have asked questions which seemed to indicate that the MIDI connection was like a dog chasing its tail, due to an unintended MIDI loop.

I hope you’re able to get the SL73 to do what you want.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Insert effects on parts
Next Topic:

Pitch fall effect on MX series ››