mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Will the Motif be discontued"

Posted on: September 14, 2018 @ 12:09 AM
Vic_Angel
Total Posts:  7
Joined  06-23-2012

Hi guys

From my last post I can conclude that the MODX can be regarded as a stripped down Montage, instead of the Motif as its predecessors.

Can I conclude that the Motif line will be discontinued and replaced by the Montage?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2018 @ 12:49 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The Motif XF was discontinued over a year ago. There never was a Motif-Rack implementation of the XF, and the Motif-Rack XS has been discontinued. You can draw your own conclusions about the MOXF.

It’s my hope that Motifator will continue to support Motif-family models for as long as there’s interest in them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2018 @ 10:29 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
Vic_Angel - 14 September 2018 12:09 AM

Hi guys

From my last post I can conclude that the MODX can be regarded as a stripped down Montage, instead of the Motif as its predecessors.

Can I conclude that the Motif line will be discontinued and replaced by the Montage?

Vic_Angel, while, Montage and MO-DX may in fact succeed the Motif/MoX
they are by no means replacements.  Because in several ways the Montage/MO-DX have less functionality than the Motif/MoX for example the Montage/MODX don’t have full sequencers, pattern sequencers, or integrated sampling.  The Super knob, and FM engine of the Montage/MODX are not adequate substitutes.

Now owning a Motif/Mox and some version of the Montage might be okay ;-) But the Montage is no replacement for a Motif!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2018 @ 08:42 AM
pjd
Total Posts:  63
Joined  11-16-2013

Yep, the Motif XF/MOXF will be discontinued. Both use the previous generation tone generation ICs (SWP51L) and I doubt if Yamaha has any interest in keeping this old tech alive. I don’t see a Motif refresh happening; Yamaha is watching internal costs carefully and can’t afford too many different product lines/SKUs.

How-evah, the MOX6 is a keeper. It goes out every week to my church gig and I get a lot of value out of its sequencer, pattern/song mode, etc. I plan to get a MODX and keep the MOX6. I’ll deal off some other board, but not the MOX6.

All the best—pj

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2018 @ 10:29 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
pjd - 19 September 2018 08:42 AM

Yep, the Motif XF/MOXF will be discontinued. Both use the previous generation tone generation ICs (SWP51L) and I doubt if Yamaha has any interest in keeping this old tech alive. I don’t see a Motif refresh happening; Yamaha is watching internal costs carefully and can’t afford too many different product lines/SKUs.

How-evah, the MOX6 is a keeper. It goes out every week to my church gig and I get a lot of value out of its sequencer, pattern/song mode, etc. I plan to get a MODX and keep the MOX6. I’ll deal off some other board, but not the MOX6.

All the best—pj

I do find it interesting that many keyboard players see their instruments more as a piece of technology that is either obsolete or not.  This does not seem to be the case with other musicians, who develop an affinity and connection to their instruments.  For instance I know many guitar players who would not give up their 15 year old Gibson, or Ovation for anything, or sax players that hang on to their Martin or to brands made by companies that are no longer even in business.  Not to mention if some violin player happened to be a proud owner of a Stradivarius the thought of trading that in for a new model would be absurd.  But for some reason (maybe the advent of the softsynth who knows) there are more than a few keyboard players who see their instruments as nothing more than a piece of technology that needs to be frequently updated, currently patched, and/or discarded at the first sign that newer technology has arrived or is coming.

It could be just my misconception but it doesn’t it appear that those who play guitar, sax, trumpet, violin, drums, etc feel the same way.  Yes there is more computer technology in a synth or digital keyboard than other instruments and computer technology is always being improved.  But by that same token the computer technology gives the keyboard far more possibilities and complexity than other instruments, which would suggest that it would take musicians longer to really command the instrument.

I would think because of all of the possibilities and complexity in something like a Motif, or Mox that a musician would require a great deal of time, effort and love to have a command of it, and after having made such a commitment in time and effort would be reeeeallly reticent to even consider trading it off for the next thing coming down the pike.  Especially if the new thing has different technology, different interfaces, different musical metaphors or is any way foreign compared to his/her current instrument.

The notion that the Motif/Mox has been discontinued should (in most instances) be meaningless to the musician that already owns one, has access to one, and has come to have affinity with one.  In fact, It is only those musicians that currently don’t have a Motif/Mox or access to a Motif/Mox that should be distraught or dismayed because of Yamaha’s choice to discontinue production of the instrument.  Its those musicians and keyboard players that are being deprived.

PJ, I don’t know you or how you feel about your instruments, but for me, my:

Motif XF8, MOX 8, MM8 are more than just pieces of technology to be upgraded, patched and compared/contrasted to the latest benchmarks in CPU processing power, flash ram, communication channels, sampling rates or market hype.  They are intimate parts of my musical expression that I have developed a connection with, and passion for.  I have grown accustomed to, appreciative of, each and every mode, menu, parameter, quirk, button, and slider of my Motif, Mox, and MM8, and that bond grows with every performance, practice,gig, and job that I use them on.  The fact that they’ve been discontinued simply means they are even more a treasure than when I purchased them!

TBH AFAIC F*CK the Montage and MODX!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MODX
Next Topic:

External Backup Drive Blank Screen ››