mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arp number 0205"

Posted on: July 16, 2018 @ 02:51 PM
Davelet
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-27-2017

Hi All

I’ve been experimenting with Arp number 0205 on the MOXF, (ApKb Balad) which is a nice regular arpeggio (in the musical sense of the word).

However, I’m finding it a bit weird as it is inserting very short notes of a random length (between about 5 and 25 clock ticks) when I change chord on the bar line. Those notes aren’t inserted if the chord is held over the bar line, only when it is changed on the bar line. The notes that are inserted are the notes of the chord and it sounds very unmusical as they aren’t of fixed length and are very short and percussive. The keymode is sort, although it happens with sort+direct, too.

Is this really how the arp has been programmed and, if so, why doesn’t it insert those very short notes (which are from the new chord, by the way) when the chord is held.

Arp 0714 which is another arpeggio (in the musical sense) doesn’t show this behaviour.

So, is the behaviour of Arp 0205 intentional, do you think? I guess it must be but it is a very unmusical and unuseful sound if so.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2018 @ 06:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

It’s all about timing, and I suspect that you’re playing the next chord before the previous Arp phrase has completed. Playing too many notes can confuse the Arp’s “Chord Intelligence”.

This thread…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472529/
...goes into some detail about this and related issues.

This support article…
http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/Arpeggios_Explained.pdf
...explains what XS type arps are about.

------------

For those who want to “play” with this themselves on other than a MOXF, the Arp Name is MC2_8Beat Slow_XS, and is also #205 on the Motif XF, and #81 on the XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2018 @ 02:54 AM
Davelet
Joined  07-27-2017

Thanks 5pinDIN for your reply.

I have gone through the articles (which I had read before a year ago - it was good to have a refresher!) and couldn’t find anything in there that related to my “problem” (if it really is one) with that particular arp. The syncquantize value has no effect, nor does it matter if I’m in realtime or measure for the change timing mode, no matter where in the phrase/bar I change chord I always get those rather unmusical “stabs” of the notes I have just played of between 5 and 30-ish clock ticks. If they were always of exactly the same length, or I could relate them to my playing the chord before, on, or after the beat, I could understand it, but that appears to have no effect.

Anyway, I’ve found another useable arp now so I’ll park it until it comes back to bite me again. Parking MOXF projects is becoming a bit of a theme for me now :-)

Thanks for your help as always.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2018 @ 03:53 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Davelet - 18 July 2018 02:54 AM

Thanks 5pinDIN for your reply.

I have gone through the articles (which I had read before a year ago - it was good to have a refresher!) and couldn’t find anything in there that related to my “problem” (if it really is one) with that particular arp. The syncquantize value has no effect, nor does it matter if I’m in realtime or measure for the change timing mode,

Those Parameters matter when selecting a different Arp while playing, but not when playing with the same Arp and just changing chords.

Davelet -

no matter where in the phrase/bar I change chord

I thought you were experiencing the “problem” when changing chords “on the bar line”. Perhaps I misinterpreted your original post.

Davelet -

I always get those rather unmusical “stabs” of the notes I have just played of between 5 and 30-ish clock ticks. If they were always of exactly the same length, or I could relate them to my playing the chord before, on, or after the beat, I could understand it, but that appears to have no effect.

Since I haven’t heard what you’re playing, I’m not certain what’s happening. However, I thought part of B_M’s second post in the thread I linked to might be relevant:

It recognizes certain chord qualities depending on your trigger notes. Feeding more notes than are in the phrase itself can cause seemingly random results.

Dyads, Triads and Tetrads are no problem and will give musical results you can expect… Pentads and hexads and beyond will cause the chord recognition engine to make a “best guess” based on which notes it sees first/last… And that, my friend, is where you feel like you have one too many bowling pins in the air.

Repeat the isolation experiment with just the guitar and drums. It is a four measure phrase and is restricted to the specific range “XS_Type” that causes any voicing that you play to sound as a guitar would voice that chord.

With the E.Piano and the Guitar you may notice, if you strike the keyboard again during their phrase you can hear additional notes being triggered. It’s like someone else playing along, semi-randomly…

Davelet -

Anyway, I’ve found another useable arp now so I’ll park it until it comes back to bite me again. Parking MOXF projects is becoming a bit of a theme for me now :-)

I’m glad you found an Arp that meets your needs. Of course, if you ever can’t find one that’s suitable, you could create your own using the “Put Track to Arp” Job.

Davelet -

Thanks for your help as always.

David.

You’re welcome. I’ll keep aiming for the target, although sometimes I might miss.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2018 @ 04:32 PM
Davelet
Joined  07-27-2017

Hi 5pinDIN.

Sorry to have caused confusion - originally I was trying to change chord on the barline but I then did further experiments to see if where I changed the chord made a difference regarding the erroneous short notes, but it did not. They appear whenever and wherever a new chord is place.

It happens even with simple triads, so I don’t think the quote you gave is relevant (although it might be).

Put track to arp … oh dear - that was another of my parked projects that you helped me on, if you remember? A couples of months back. I was trying to create a chord intelligent latin arp pattern but found the chord intelligence in the user arps to be no-where near as good and easy to use as that in the preset arps.

So, I’ll leave it for now as I have found an arp that fits my needs.

Thanks again.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Audio interface switching and controller in Cubase
Next Topic:

Breath controller ››