mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF Master Mode: Display Song/Pattern Instrument names?"

Posted on: May 17, 2018 @ 05:41 PM
stephen21
Total Posts:  21
Joined  10-09-2006

There are two types of Screen Display possible for Master Mode in the Motif XF.
In Master Mode I select Utility>General>Screen >> TYPE (1/2)

If I choose Type 2, and am in Master Mode, the screen displays from left to right:

Zone - Category - Name - Note Limit - Range

And underneath each of these parameters is the relevant information...except for the 2nd and 3rd parameters from left to right: CATEGORY / NAME.

Which leads to my question: How do I edit or use this particular NAME function? (the 3rd parameter from the left to right from the list above.) I would like to be able to see the names of the instruments that I am using from Song/Pattern mode in each of my Masters in Master Mode, but this NAME parameter always seems to be blank/not editable and I have not found a way to either assign the names from the Song/Pattern or manually enter/edit them myself. 

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2018 @ 08:02 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The “Ctgry” and “Name” fields can be edited as in other modes.
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT]
Press [F1](Name)

Highlight the “Category” field for the desired Zone
Press [SF6](LIST)
Use cursor keys or Data Dial to select the category
Press [ENTER]

Highlight the “Name” field for the desired Zone
Press [SF6](CHAR)
Use cursor keys or Data Dial to select characters, etc.
Press [ENTER]

Press [STORE] to retain the edits

See page 37 of the XF Reference Manual for details.

Note that entering the Name is much easier with a USB ASCII keyboard attached to the TO DEVICE port.

However, I’m not seeing how naming Zones relates to your need to see “instruments” from “Song/Pattern mode” in the Masters. It seems it could be easier to select the Master, then press the [SONG] or [PATTERN] button (as appropriate). All of the Parts should then be displayed. When done, press [MASTER] to go back.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2018 @ 09:49 PM
stephen21
Total Posts:  21
Joined  10-09-2006

Thanks 5PinDin!

That definitely worked to edit the names! But the end of your reply was correct, that I would actually prefer to just see the names of the song or pattern displayed in Master Mode reflecting each of the Songs/Patterns that are being controlled in Master Mode.

How do I get the names of the instruments in Master Mode to reflect the names of the Song or Pattern that they are referencing?

If I press Song or Pattern when in Master Mode, I exit Master Mode, which I don’t want to do. I apologize if I’m missing something, but you hit the nail on the head: what I want is for the list of Names in Master Mode to reflect the list of voices from the Song/Pattern that they are referencing.

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2018 @ 11:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

An alternative approach to manually entering a name for a Zone could be to use the Melas XF Master Editor. The “Patch Browser” in the Melas Editor can be searched to find a Voice name, and a copy and paste operation can transfer the name of the selected Voice to a Zone Name line.

By the way, although entry of up to twenty characters for Zone Name is possible, it appears that only 14 of them can be displayed in the “Type 2” screen.

[ Ignore ]