mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arpeggio libraries for MOXF"

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 03:46 PM
Davelet
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-27-2017

Hi All

There are plenty of sound banks available for the MOXF but I find I have more sounds than I know what to do with (still haven’t gone through all the ones I have downloaded).

However, what I would REALLY love are some libraries of arpeggios, in particular Latin styles. I’ve had a go at programming my own but it really is one great big palaver. Does anyone know if any are available OR if someone has programmed some is happy to share? I’m thinking basslines and chord comping mostly but drum rhythms would be useful too.

Manna from heaven would be a utility to somehow convert all the widely available Yamaha PSR style-files into arps. Maybe a little programming project for me on the side one day.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 06:05 PM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017
Davelet - 05 April 2018 03:46 PM

Hi All

There are plenty of sound banks available for the MOXF but I find I have more sounds than I know what to do with (still haven’t gone through all the ones I have downloaded).

However, what I would REALLY love are some libraries of arpeggios, in particular Latin styles. I’ve had a go at programming my own but it really is one great big palaver. Does anyone know if any are available OR if someone has programmed some is happy to share? I’m thinking basslines and chord comping mostly but drum rhythms would be useful too.

Manna from heaven would be a utility to somehow convert all the widely available Yamaha PSR style-files into arps. Maybe a little programming project for me on the side one day.

David.

Any specific Style? (guaguanco, plenas, songo, etc?) or do you mean Latin like a general feeling?

I could help with providing a few MIDIs and perhaps someone knowledgeable could take the challenge to make them arpeggios, I started reading about making your own arpeggios but these days I’m focused on several projects and I wouldn’t commit to learn how to convert them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 06:13 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

[...] Manna from heaven would be a utility to somehow convert all the widely available Yamaha PSR style-files into arps. Maybe a little programming project for me on the side one day.

You might find this site interesting:
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm

In particular:
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sands/index.htm
That one converts Yamaha style files into MIDI and non-MIDI files. The MIDI/.mid file should be able to be loaded into the MOXF and then converted to an Arp (within limitations).

Since I haven’t tried this myself, if you do, please let us know how it works.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 06:21 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017

If any one is interested I can gladly provide the MIDI part and you guys would work on making them arpeggios.

Oh, David please let me know what Latin style you would like.

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2018 @ 04:45 PM
Davelet
Joined  07-27-2017
RHproducer - 05 April 2018 06:05 PM

Hi All

Any specific Style? (guaguanco, plenas, songo, etc?) or do you mean Latin like a general feeling?

I could help with providing a few MIDIs and perhaps someone knowledgeable could take the challenge to make them arpeggios, I started reading about making your own arpeggios but these days I’m focused on several projects and I wouldn’t commit to learn how to convert them.

I should perhaps qualify what I mean by “Latin” styles (Which of course is as daft as calling all music composed for orchestra from 1650 to the present day “classical"). Basically, I am working my way through this book for fun, and to broaden my piano technique and repertoire (which is very classically-trained):

https://en.schott-music.com/shop/exploring-latin-piano-no234543.html

The book is upstairs in the music room and I’m too lazy to go and grab it but the blurb on the above website gives the following styles (but there are more):

• Cuba – son, montuno, mambo, cha-cha-chá, bolero, danzón
• Brazil – bossa nova, samba, baion, afoxé, frevo, chorinho
• Argentina and Uruguay – tango, milonga, zamba, chacarera, candombe
• Venezuela – joropo, vals
• Colombia – cumbia
• Dominica – merengue
• Spain – flamenco, rumba, buleria

I’m about one 3rd of the way through the book and am enjoying it. It comes with a backing CD, but I’d much prefer to create my own backing tracks on the MOXF. However, the “Latin” styles on the MOXF are really quite limited - a few montunos, sambas and a bossa nova - and that’s about it. I’d like more, including some or all of the above styles and more besides.

I know how to create arps on the MOXF now but what I don’t really have is a lot of the basslines or chord comping for the above styles properly under my fingers yet so would love some arps to create backing tracks for me to help me practice.

I’d love to have access to your MIDI files and see if I can create arps from them if you are willing to share them with me - I’d appreciate it very much - thanks - and will of course share my results back.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2018 @ 04:46 PM
Davelet
Joined  07-27-2017
5pinDIN - 05 April 2018 06:13 PM

[...] Manna from heaven would be a utility to somehow convert all the widely available Yamaha PSR style-files into arps. Maybe a little programming project for me on the side one day.

You might find this site interesting:
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm

In particular:
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sands/index.htm
That one converts Yamaha style files into MIDI and non-MIDI files. The MIDI/.mid file should be able to be loaded into the MOXF and then converted to an Arp (within limitations).

Since I haven’t tried this myself, if you do,please let us know how it works.

Many thanks 5PinDin - definitely worth a look! I’ll have a play around with the software and let you know how I get on.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2018 @ 08:13 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017

Wow David, perfect, it sounds good.

I’m also a percussionist and los ritmos latinos son mi especialidad!

Let’s start with the ones I feel more comfortable with, the ones that I don’t have to think and just play (Bolero Jazz and Cumbia), later on we can work with the rest.

Is it Ok if I upload a MIDI file, say, in C, with the whole accompaniment? (Verse, Bridge, Chorus) or you could give me more details about the way you want me to deliver them. I will visit MOTIFATOR on Monday next week, I’ll look forward for your response. P

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2018 @ 03:07 PM
Davelet
Joined  07-27-2017

Hi 5PinDIN and RHproducer.

So, I went along with 5PinDIN’s suggestion of using “Style Split and Splice” from the website he suggested. That was straightforward enough, to turn a style file into a MIDI file. I inspected the MIDI file in Cubase and it had all the sections in there - Main A, Main B, etc, Intro A, B, Ending A, B and all the Fills.

So I then loaded the MIDI file for a style into the MOXF to a Pattern, and then used the Job -> Split Pattern function to split the Pattern out to sections for each of Main A, B, Fill, etc - 16 sections in total conveniently!

Also conveniently, the MIDI had some PC/SysEx in there that setup all the voices in the MOXF to suitable GM ones so I didn’t have to create a Mixing setup.

I then set to work converting each track and pattern section to arps. I started with the drums - very easy, as they’re fixed notes.

I then moved onto the Guitar parts, which for this arp were just block chords strummed. I used “normal” arpeggio types when putting the track to arps, and the results were good enough, with the arps playing the keys played but with the correct rhythm as per the original style.

I then moved onto the bass parts which is where everything started to fall apart really. I tried “normal” arpeggio types again when putting track to arp, and this time to get the correct bassline when using the arp you had to set the arp type to “thru” and when playing a chord ensure you played the notes in the correct sequence for the bassline. Not so great. This was a simple bassline starting on tonic, up to the mediant, down to the dominant, and back to the tonic - so if you don’t play the notes in the right order, it obviously sounds wrong. Using “sort” just made the bassline start on the lowest note and work through the notes in order starting from the lowest - also not suitable.

Using “Org note” is hopeless as then it just plays the notes in sequence by step starting on the bass note so there is no chord recognition really.

All the above took me a couple of hours just to get 3 arps done - what with splitting them out, and then having to enter the name from the MOXf front panel (is there an easier way) it was all a big palaver, much more than I expect it to be.

So, I’ll likely park this project for now and just work on improving my playing in these latin styles so I can just play the parts directly without using the arpeggiator!

Thanks for the help from both of you.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2018 @ 03:33 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Davelet - 08 April 2018 03:07 PM

So, I went along with 5PinDIN’s suggestion of using “Style Split and Splice” from the website he suggested. That was straightforward enough, to turn a style file into a MIDI file. I inspected the MIDI file in Cubase and it had all the sections in there - Main A, Main B, etc, Intro A, B, Ending A, B and all the Fills.

So I then loaded the MIDI file for a style into the MOXF to a Pattern, and then used the Job -> Split Pattern function to split the Pattern out to sections for each of Main A, B, Fill, etc - 16 sections in total conveniently!

Also conveniently, the MIDI had some PC/SysEx in there that setup all the voices in the MOXF to suitable GM ones so I didn’t have to create a Mixing setup.

I then set to work converting each track and pattern section to arps. I started with the drums - very easy, as they’re fixed notes.

I then moved onto the Guitar parts, which for this arp were just block chords strummed. I used “normal” arpeggio types when putting the track to arps, and the results were good enough, with the arps playing the keys played but with the correct rhythm as per the original style.

I then moved onto the bass parts which is where everything started to fall apart really. I tried “normal” arpeggio types again when putting track to arp, and this time to get the correct bassline when using the arp you had to set the arp type to “thru” and when playing a chord ensure you played the notes in the correct sequence for the bassline. Not so great. This was a simple bassline starting on tonic, up to the mediant, down to the dominant, and back to the tonic - so if you don’t play the notes in the right order, it obviously sounds wrong. Using “sort” just made the bassline start on the lowest note and work through the notes in order starting from the lowest - also not suitable.

Using “Org note” is hopeless as then it just plays the notes in sequence by step starting on the bass note so there is no chord recognition really.

Thanks for reporting your experience. It’s too bad that it wasn’t a straightforward conversion.

Davelet -

All the above took me a couple of hours just to get 3 arps done - what with splitting them out, and then having to enter the name from the MOXf front panel (is there an easier way) it was all a big palaver, much more than I expect it to be.

Unfortunately the MOXF doesn’t have a feature found on both the XS and XF - that is, with those models a USB ASCII keyboard can be attached to the TO DEVICE port, making such entry and other operations much easier.

Davelet -

So, I’ll likely park this project for now and just work on improving my playing in these latin styles so I can just play the parts directly without using the arpeggiator!

David.

You’re welcome, and thanks again for the detailed report.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2018 @ 12:38 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017
5pinDIN - 08 April 2018 03:33 PM
Davelet - 08 April 2018 03:07 PM

Davelet -

David.

David.

You’re welcome, and thanks again for the detailed report.

Thank you David for letting us know, greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ conecting moxf8 with ableton live
Next Topic:

Gain or master volume using assignable peddle? ››