mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS6 Screen issue"

Posted on: December 31, 2017 @ 03:36 AM
rickyrambles15
Total Posts:  1
Joined  12-31-2017

Hello Motifators!

I was tinkering with my Motif XS6 a while back and accidentally ruined one of the wires that are connected to the screen and have not been able to see anything ever since.

I’ve included pictures of the ruined wire and will try to attach pictures of the dead screen, and the connection point.

Does anyone know where I can get another one of these wires, or potentially further troubleshoot the issue if this is not the problem?

I hope you have a wonderful new year and will speak with you soon.

*Update* Upload isn’t working. Here is a link to the photos in Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xgh365a8h60dx0r/AAAk_iLtaKIKCfHVlPmYN5r6a?dl=0

Thanks in advance,

J

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2017 @ 04:21 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Welcome to the Forum.

I have zipped a folder with your pictures (That is the best technique for attachments), and attached them here.

They are very small (178 x 178 pixels), not sure if they contain enough usable detail.

File Attachments
Photos.zip  (File Size: 23KB - Downloads: 349)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2017 @ 11:56 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Thanks to cmayhle for posting the pictures here on Motifator.

rickyrambles15 - 31 December 2017 03:36 AM

Hello Motifators!

Welcome to the forum.

rickyrambles15 -

I was tinkering with my Motif XS6 a while back and accidentally ruined one of the wires that are connected to the screen and have not been able to see anything ever since.

I’ve included pictures of the ruined wire and will try to attach pictures of the dead screen, and the connection point.

Does anyone know where I can get another one of these wires, or potentially further troubleshoot the issue if this is not the problem?

Your pictures don’t reveal enough to determine exactly what the problem is. One thing that’s obvious is that the LCD backlight is still functioning. The cable you show is known as an FFC (Flat Flexible Cable or Flexible Flat Cable).

Something I’ve seen is display screen cables dislodged or damaged when the control panel has been accidentally hinged past a 90 degree opening. Also, incorrectly releasing a cable from its connector can damage the cable, the connector, or both.

The first thing I’d suggest is to download the XS Service Manual:
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif_xs6_xs7_xs8.pdf/download.html

The XS6 disassembly procedure begins on page 16. Note the warning about inserting a cable “inversely”.

Page 18 shows use of “service stays” to hold the control panel open. Without them, use caution to keep the control panel from opening too far.

Page 22 explains how to release FFC cables from the JKAN-LC board.

Page 200 begins the XS6 Control Panel Assembly information. On page 201 is the parts list for the Control Panel. It appears from your pictures that the cable you’re referring to is the 30-pin one which goes from the JKAN-LC board to the DM board. That cable is shown as D130, part number WJ702200, 30P-183(LC) (30 pin, 183 mm long, for LCD data).

However, unless damage is obvious, before ordering the cable, reconnect it (making sure both ends are properly and fully inserted in their connectors) and try adjusting the LCD CONTRAST control at the rear of the XS6. In some cases if that control is sufficiently misadjusted, all that will be visible is a blank backlit screen. It’s also possible for the LCD CONTRAST control itself to be damaged.

If the FFC is needed, it should be available directly from Yamaha…
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/parts_manuals/index.html
...or other suppliers.

Somewhat related…
A previous post concerning an XF, where the problem was LCD display operational except the backlight was out:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476555/

[ Ignore ]