mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS to S70/90XS file conversion"

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 06:38 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Assuming that Motif XS voices that pertain to samples residing in RAM can’t be loaded into a S70/90XS, what is the compatibility level between the two instruments?

In other words, what Motif XS data can be loaded into S70/90XS?

As far as I can see and according to what happened to me in the past, I succeeded loading just Motif ES Voices into S90ES.

Is this true also for the XS series?

And, last but not least, how can be this accomplished if the relevant files have different extensions.

Thanks in advance,
dp7

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 10:36 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

XS files are directly compatible with the S70XS/S90XS.
See attachment.

Image Attachments
Load to S90XS.gif
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 10:49 AM
digitalperformer7
Joined  12-07-2011
5pinDIN - 28 November 2017 10:36 AM

XS files are directly compatible with the S70XS/S90XS.
See attachment.

Thanks for your reply but this is a non-answer…

In other words, can a Motif XS .ALL file be loaded into a S70/90XS?
According to the chart I might say no.

So, what are that kind of Motif XS data that can be loaded into S90/70XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 11:45 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
digitalperformer7 - 28 November 2017 10:49 AM

Thanks for your reply but this is a non-answer…

Are you serious? I took the time to capture and upload the chart, which comes from the S70XS/S90XS Reference Manual, in an attempt to ensure clarity.

digitalperformer7 -

In other words, can a Motif XS .ALL file be loaded into a S70/90XS?
According to the chart I might say no.

Sorry, but there’s no such thing as an XS “.ALL” file. An “All” file for the XS has a .X0A extension, which is plainly shown on the chart.

By the way, so that there’s no further misunderstanding by anyone, XS files can’t be loaded to an S70, but can be to an S70XS.

digitalperformer7 -

So, what are that kind of Motif XS data that can be loaded into S90/70XS?

An S90XS or S70XS can load the kind of Motif XS data contained in the indicated Motif XS File Types. Your member profile shows that you own a Motif XF, so I presume you’re familiar with the contents of “All”, “All Voice”, etc., files.

Of course, since the S90XS/S70XS don’t have a Song/Pattern sequencer, that type of data is ignored when loading an XS file containing it.

Perhaps these will help…
S90XS/S70XS Owner’s Manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/9603

S90XS/S70XS Reference Manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/9610

S90XS/S70XS Data List:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/9637

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 12:29 PM
digitalperformer7
Joined  12-07-2011
5pinDIN - 28 November 2017 11:45 AM

An S90XS or S70XS can load the kind of Motif XS data contained in the indicated Motif XS File Types. Your member profile shows that you own a Motif XF, so I presume you’re familiar with the contents of “All”, “All Voice”, etc., files.

Thanks, these words helped me read the chart correctly.

And, as I expected, S70/90XS can read Motif XS Voices but not its Performances. And this is the same for ES series.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 01:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
digitalperformer7 - 28 November 2017 12:29 PM

And, as I expected, S70/90XS can read Motif XS Voices but not its Performances. And this is the same for ES series.

You’re welcome, but…

Why are you concluding that an S70XS/S90XS won’t load XS Performances? S90XS/S70XS Performances have the same architecture as the XS. Other than XS Songs/Patterns, which aren’t compatible due to lack of hardware, remaining XS (non-sample) data should work. Loading an XS “All” (.X0A) file should result in Performances being loaded.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 01:16 PM
digitalperformer7
Joined  12-07-2011
5pinDIN - 28 November 2017 01:08 PM
digitalperformer7 - 28 November 2017 12:29 PM

You’re welcome, but…

Why are you concluding that an S70XS/S90XS won’t load XS Performances? S90XS/S70XS Performances have the same architecture as the XS. Other than XS Songs/Performances, which aren’t compatible due to lack of hardware, remaining XS (non-sample) data should work.

My conclusion is based on a real issue I encountered some years ago.
I bought from KeyFax a Motif ES sound bank called “Regenerator” which it was told to be compatible with S90ES.
But I had the annoying surprise to see that only Voices were loadable into S90ES while Performances were excluded.
I sent a mail of complain to KeyFax but the reply was again more disappointing and disgusting: the instrument structures are different, thus S90ES can load just Voices and not Motif ES’ Performances.
Thus I can reasonably think that between Motif XS and S70/90XS the story is the same.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 01:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
digitalperformer7 - 28 November 2017 01:16 PM

My conclusion is based on a real issue I encountered some years ago.
I bought from KeyFax a Motif ES sound bank called “Regenerator” which it was told to be compatible with S90ES.
But I had the annoying surprise to see that only Voices were loadable into S90ES while Performances were excluded.
I sent a mail of complain to KeyFax but the reply was again more disappointing and disgusting: the instrument structures are different, thus S90ES can load just Voices and not Motif ES’ Performances.
Thus I can reasonably think that between Motif XS and S70/90XS the story is the same.

Assumptions based on previous experience with a different product often aren’t valid. It’s my understanding that Yamaha addressed the situation in the S90XS/S70XS models because of complaints about file compatibility with the ES models. You might want to contact Yamaha Support in your country and ask them about this issue. Hopefully you’ll reach someone there who will be well informed and resolve the question to your satisfaction.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 01:54 PM
digitalperformer7
Joined  12-07-2011

I put the question here because in my Country - Italy - Yamaha Support is not existent. They are somewhat able to scarcely give information about latest models, such as Montage and Genos.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 10:55 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

By comparing the Voice List in the Data List for the S90XS/S70XS (http://download.yamaha.com/file/9637) versus that for the Motif XS (http://download.yamaha.com/file/8622), it’s apparent that the Preset Voices are located differently in the two models. If Yamaha provided a translation table in the S90XS/S70XS then it might be possible to load XS Performances and have them point to correct Voice locations. Otherwise, not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 05:30 PM
digitalperformer7
Joined  12-07-2011
5pinDIN - 07 December 2017 10:55 AM

By comparing the Voice List in the Data List for the S90XS/S70XS (http://download.yamaha.com/file/9637) versus that for the Motif XS (http://download.yamaha.com/file/8622), it’s apparent that the Preset Voices are located differently in the two models. If Yamaha provided a translation table in the S90XS/S70XS then it might be possible to load XS Performances and have them point to correct Voice locations. Otherwise, not.

In the meantime I succeeded talking with John Melas and he assured me with Total Librarian the data exchange is possibile between Motif XS and S70/90XS.
As usual a third party product must be used, otherwise with Yamaha’s software you can’t.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 07:33 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
digitalperformer7 - 07 December 2017 05:30 PM

In the meantime I succeeded talking with John Melas and he assured me with Total Librarian the data exchange is possibile between Motif XS and S70/90XS.
As usual a third party product must be used, otherwise with Yamaha’s software you can’t.

Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn’t get high marks for file compatibility, even among models with the same basic sound engine. I’ve written software myself to deal with some of the problems.

Translation tables for Voice location don’t take up much room in firmware, and so should have been in the S90XS/S70XS. It probably was easy for John Melas to include that in his software.

However, even when Yamaha allows files to be loaded from one model to another, they apparently still don’t get it right. The Motif XF can load X2A “All” files from the S90XS/S70XS - I have such a file, and loaded it to my XF. The Performances loaded, but they didn’t sound right. I determined that the Preset Voice locations didn’t get translated. By looking at Data Lists, I was easily able to edit Performances so that they pointed to the correct Voices.

I’ll ask a rhetorical question…
Hey Yamaha, why support loading of S90XS/S70XS Performances into an XF if you didn’t bother to have them point to correct Preset Voice locations in the XF?

Oh well.

[ Ignore ]