mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Upgrading my Live rig.  DI Box - Why do I need one?  Speakers?"

Posted on: August 04, 2017 @ 08:29 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

What is a DI Box?  What does it do?  Why is it used or preferred or even necessary with a keyboard?

I am also trying to put together a small PA system that is accurate at low volume levels when I’m mixing tracks at home but reproduces and translates live onstage at higher volumes.  (I also sing and run everything through a little Yamaha Mixer.)

I’ve heard very good reviews of the Yamaha DXR 10” speakers. Also, QSC K10”.

So, speakers, recommendations?  DI Box? If I need one, which model?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2017 @ 10:02 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

1) A DI box converts a high-impedance, line-level, unbalanced signal (which your keyboard sends via the main outs) to a low-impedance, balanced signal (like that of a microphone).  Balanced signals are much less prone to the introduction of noise, especially over a significant distance.

If you do not have any buzz or RF issues, and are running short cables between your keyboards and mixer, and/or don’t need to go to FOH with your sub-mix, you probably do not need a DI box. 

They are commonly used with keyboards to convert the signal, prior to sending it through a snake to the FOH equipment, as the long distances can create bad hiss problems using unbalanced signal cables.  Under about 15’ of cable length, an unbalanced signal usually doesn’t introduce significant noise into the signal path.

I do use a DI box with my live rig, and can highly recommend one of These, if you decide to get one.

2) I’ve used a pair of DXR10s as stereo monitors in my live keyboard rig for several years, and really love them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2017 @ 05:05 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Thanks. Helpful information.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2017 @ 09:32 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

In general, line level signals (like the output of a synth) do not need DI boxes. Period. Full stop. The 15 foot limit mentioned is for passive high impedance signals like guitars and hi-Z mikes. Low impedance mikes can easily be run over 100 feet of cable without any problems.

However DI boxes can still be useful in cases where the synth output is 1/4” and the mixer inputs are XLR only, a splitter is required to drive both the PA and a stage amp or where ground loops are a problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2017 @ 03:45 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

To the OP, I would highly recommend you study This Document, referenced and linked by 5pinDIN in This Thread.

I have not obtained satisfactory results running long unbalanced cables from my Yamaha keyboards, and found the answer in a quality DI box within a short distance of the signal source. I no longer run unbalanced signals beyond approximately 15’, based on my experience.  Others may have a different experience. 

These links will provide valuable guidance in setting up your live rig for great results.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Playing a Performance with a Pattern?
Next Topic:

MoxF6 - Problem load midi and wav files ››