mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Editors for the PLG cards -SQ01 and SOL2 and XG-Works"

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 09:10 AM
Total Posts:  20
Joined  07-30-2016

If you own any of the PLG plugin cards (I own 4) you will want editors for them.  The last sequencers with PLG support built in were SQ01 and SOL2.  These actually can work just fine today, you just have to know how to install them properly, there is a trick to it.

On Windows-7 you have to run the SQ01 INSTALLER with XP SP3 Compatibility and Administrator privileges.  Not the app after it’s loaded, the Setup.exe Installer program.  SOL2 requires the same settings to install correctly too, I have both up and running properly.  I haven’t tried Windows 8 or 10, but my guess is the same fix applies.

I’ve read too many threads trying to figure this out myself where people have gotten stuck like I did, SQ01 installed, but there were no midi devices in the window to select.  This fixes that problem. 

You can purchase SQ01 on CD directly from Yamaha as a spare part, it was about $15 including the shipping from Japan.  It was a bit of a hassle, I had to figure out how to order the Tools CD for the Motif-ES from the correct department.  SOL2 is much, much harder to find, I finally found it through a friend on a midi tutorials site.  The PLG card editors come on the CD’s with the sequencers.

A simpler method to get a sequencer up and running on Windows-7 (or higher) is to download the older XG-Works 3.0.7e sequencer off the following website (Tools Subsection):
The PLG card editors are hard to find online anymore (they don’t come with XG-Works) but if you go to the Japanese Yamaha page you can still download them:;

On the bottom of the page is a checkbox (click it) then the download link just below it for ‘ (4.66 MB)’ is enabled.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2017 @ 12:17 AM
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-19-2007

PLG cards also work with Cubase. I have used them through Studio Manager since Cubase SX 3.11 and now in Cubase 8 Pro installed on Win 7 64bit.
I currently work with my PLGs also with editors in stand alone mode.
All PLGs (PLG150-VL, PLG150-DX and PLG150-AN) are installed in MU2000EX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  4
Joined  10-30-2011

Let’s make a couple of clarifications:
The SQ01 sequencer is not required to use the PLG AN-, DX-, VL-, DR-, PC- or VH-editors, and neither is the Studio Manager software. The latest versions of these PLG editors can run as plugins within an OPT-compatible host, such as SQ01, but they work just fine standalone too. In any case, these editors are not included with SQ01, and have to be downloaded and installed separately. The phrase “PLG support built in” is therefore a bit of a misnomer!

There’s an obvious advantage to running the editors from within the DAW/sequencer, in that your project files will include the editor settings. It takes a bit of initial setting up, though, and quite possibly some trials and errors. You should be able to open these PLG editors in other OPT-compatible sequencers too, although I only know for sure of Cakewalk Sonar to have had this functionality, apart from Yamaha’s own efforts.

Some earlier instruments, like the AN200/DX200 “grooveboxes”, have editors that were designed as plugins for the older XGworks (v1-v4) sequencing environment. These editors were never ported to OPT or the “internal” SQ01/SOL2 format, and can not run standalone. We should also mention the PLG-150AP and PLG-150PF piano cards, that have SQ01/SOL2 editor plugins (non-OPT, non-standalone), and the same thing goes for the japan-only PLG100-SG card editor and the MU2000 sampling editor.

There is a small but faithful crowd still tinkering with the older XGworks sequencers (v2, v3 or even the Japan-only v4 version). Dusting off and making old stuff work again gives a special kind of satisfaction, that I can personally relate to! That being said, unless the requirement is for something that has to run on Ye Olde Win95 PC, XGworks fans actually do have alternatives, that are better suited for more modern computers. SQ01 is getting old, and hasn’t been supported by Yamaha for more than a decade. Still, it will run pretty reliably on modern Windows OSes, both x86 and x64, when the extra installation steps outlined by javelin276 are included.

I should add that I haven’t gotten the included DMO audio plugins (a plugin format based on the old DirectX 8 foundation) working on Windows 7. I should also add that there seems to be a bug in SQ01 (or in one of its modules), which may cause the transport to freeze on some systems.

While SQ01 is possibly still available on different CDs as spare parts, you should note that it’s a stripped-down “freebie” version of the Japan-only SOL/SOL2 sequencer, which has had lots of software modules removed. Some of these can be installed separately, but sourcing them is a pain, since they were bundled with different equipment. Therefore, SQ01 is not going to be as complete as one might wish, coming from XGworks.

Although the general layout is very similar to XGworks, some features found in XGworks - like the Staff editor - will be missed. A lot of you will probably also remember the XG Editor, which has to be added separately (found on the S08 CD-ROM). There’s also an AutoArrange editor (S90 CD-ROM) to make you feel more at home with this kind of workflow.

For those who spice up their XG projects with a few audio tracks, the Audio Mixer (Motif/Motif ES CD-ROM) allows for very flexible audio routing, and can also be automated. This mixer processes your audio directly, and also hosts your VST plugins and instruments (in other words, it’s not just for controlling the audio parts of an SW1000XG!). Low-latency ASIO driver support and 24bit/96kHz resolution are also welcome additions on the audio side.

Wisely, Yamaha decided to let SQ01 handle MIDI (e.g. XG, SysEx and controllers) very much in the same way as XGworks, so oldtimers shouldn’t need much time to adjust in this area. You may find that it doesn’t have definition files for every instrument, though, and more recent ones in particular.

To get a small taste, have a look at this video:

There’s also a third sibling in the family called XGworks ST, which is very close to SOL2 in functionality. XGworks ST lacks SOL2’s Motif-derived TimeStretch/TimeSlice functionality and some of the included effect plugins, but is otherwise a pretty complete package. There are some additional differences between the three, but I’ll leave it at that for now.

The bad news is that SQ01 was the only family member to make it outside of Japan. To find legal copies of its bigger brethren, you’ll have to visit Japanese auction/classifieds sites (in my case, proved to be an invaluable resource). If you go to this length, be aware that although the actual software is displayed in English, you’ll have to put up with Japanese-language installers and help files. Rest assured, the installers are actually quite easy to get through, and the help files have been translated! :-)

Best regards,

- H -

[ Ignore ]