mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS8 No Boot"

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 08:30 AM
danbente
Total Posts:  6
Joined  04-24-2017

Hello,

Recently I cleaned up my Motif XS8. When I assembled back and when I start it up, it gets stuck on Yamaha boot logo. I read somewhere here a tutorial which says to remove the DIMMs, the audio cables etc. The results its the same. It gets stuck on Yamaha boot logo.

The problem is that I cannot reinstall the new software (v.1.6.0) because the USB key is no longer recognized.

If someone has/had the same problem, I would be happy to share with me what can I do to resurrect my keyboard.

Thank you in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 09:24 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
danbente - 25 April 2017 08:30 AM

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

danbente -

Recently I cleaned up my Motif XS8. When I assembled back and when I start it up, it gets stuck on Yamaha boot logo. I read somewhere here a tutorial which says to remove the DIMMs, the audio cables etc. The results its the same. It gets stuck on Yamaha boot logo.

Exactly what did you clean?

Exactly what did you disassemble?

Did you take electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions?

danbente -

The problem is that I cannot reinstall the new software (v.1.6.0) because the USB key is no longer recognized.

It’s usually not a good time to try to install an OS (firmware) when the unit is non-functional and the cause is unknown.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 09:41 AM
danbente
Joined  04-24-2017

Thank you for your fast reply!

I completely disassembled the keyboard because of dust (some keys stopped to work). It was never cleaned since acquisition. I cleaned it up with a soft brush and used compressed air to disperse the dust, nothing more. I took ESD precautions as well (I used anti-static bracelet).

At the start-up, its stuck at the Yamaha logo, not the Motif one. And nothing happens.

I checked every connection, all good. What can I do more than this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 10:34 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
danbente - 25 April 2017 09:41 AM

Thank you for your fast reply!

You’re welcome.

danbente -

I completely disassembled the keyboard because of dust (some keys stopped to work). It was never cleaned since acquisition. I cleaned it up with a soft brush and used compressed air to disperse the dust, nothing more. I took ESD precautions as well (I used anti-static bracelet).

Unfortunately, compressed air itself can be a source of ESD. Friction between air molecules causes charges to be developed, and if the air source isn’t deionized, it can sometimes damage sensitive components.

If the air source is of particularly high velocity, it’s even possible to (partially) dislodge surface-mounted components that are marginally soldered.

danbente -

At the start-up, its stuck at the Yamaha logo, not the Motif one. And nothing happens.

I checked every connection, all good. What can I do more than this?

Possible ESD or physical damage aside, I suggest that you carefully recheck connections again. Removing and reconnecting them a few times in order to “wipe” the contacts sometimes restores operation.

Do you have a copy of the XS Service Manual?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 11:37 AM
danbente
Joined  04-24-2017

I have a XS Service Manual.
I have reconfigured very carefully all connections in accordance with the service manual.
Unexplained, it remains stuck on the Yamaha logo......the manual is explained as a boot-loader sequence.

I do not know, I think the system is down....
I would try to reinstall,i have all update in my computer, but it’s a problem:
After the last update (V1.60), the usb stick was not recognized anymore.

What can be done if the usb stick connection is not recognized?
Is there a possibility to install a new firmware using a laptop connection with usb cable?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 12:55 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Starting with power to XS off, no USB drive attached…
What happens if you hold down the [ ^ ](Cursor Up) and [UTILITY] buttons while powering on the XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 01:18 PM
danbente
Joined  04-24-2017

Nothing.
Only logo from Yamaha.

It is much easier for us if you agree to use my email address:

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 02:11 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
danbente - 25 April 2017 01:18 PM

Nothing.
Only logo from Yamaha.

Unfortunately, I was expecting that.

As you can see from the Boot Sequence on page 175 of the Service Manual, various forms of internal memory are used during the boot process. One possible cause of being stuck on the Yamaha triple tuning fork logo is an SRAM or SDRAM related failure.

Since the XS was apparently functional (other than some keys) before working on it, and you’ve checked interconnections, ESD or physical damage are more likely. Look closely for physical damage - sometimes a tall surface-mounted component can be dislodged by being accidentally bumped.

Capacitor failures can cause boot problems, but that sort of difficulty is usually evident before opening the case.

An oscilloscope, voltmeter, and knowledge of digital electronics might lead to finding the problem, but otherwise it may be time to seek help from an experienced servicer.

Best of luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 03:31 AM
danbente
Joined  04-24-2017

Hello.

I’m coming back with a question.
You can tell me, please, what happens if the RAM memory is defective ?
What are the symptoms when starting up when RAM is not working ?

I followed the electronic diagram in the service manual and I tested manually with electronic tester device each component,each contact ribbon, each capacitor and resistor. I found nothing.

Processors and RAM have remained unverified(I do not know how to test the processors).

With the RAM plates put or removed, the symptoms are the same.
I just wonder, there would be a possibility that RAM would be defective and generate the total blocking ?
It is true that RAM are very old, since 2011, i think....

So, how does Motif XS8 start without RAM?What’s happened on the screen ?What symptoms, what does the screen display?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 08:27 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
danbente - 03 May 2017 03:31 AM

[...] With the RAM plates put or removed, the symptoms are the same.
I just wonder, there would be a possibility that RAM would be defective and generate the total blocking ?
It is true that RAM are very old, since 2011, i think....

So, how does Motif XS8 start without RAM?What’s happened on the screen ?What symptoms, what does the screen display?

If you are referring to the DIMMs (PC100 or PC133 SDRAM), they are optional - without them the XS will boot normally, if everything else is OK. The only difference is that the XS would not have sampler capability.

It seems that you have done as much as you can to find the problem yourself. It’s probably time to have someone with more experience look at the XS.

Your member profile indicates you are in Belgium.
I would suggest contacting…
Yamaha Music Central Europe, Branch Benelux
Address: Clarissenhof 5b, 4133 AB Vianen, Netherlands
Phone: +31 347 358 040
...they should be able to refer you to a service location.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 12:59 PM
danbente
Joined  04-24-2017

All the signs lead to the total change of the motherboard, which is unfortunately very expensive and very difficult to obtain.

Here, in Belgium nothing is repaired, everything is thrown,so you do not find repair services in this country, especially for electronics devices.

I do not know what to do next, and I have no resources to try to fix it, unfortunately, i have to declare the Motif XS8 totally compromised.

I thank you for your time and kindness to talk and advise me.

All the best.

[ Ignore ]