mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif ES6 does not boot"

Posted on: March 11, 2017 @ 01:38 AM
Nordlys
Total Posts:  240
Joined  07-25-2002

Yesterday my ES6 started to reboot itself every few minutes, then after 4 or 5 reboots it wouldn’t start up at all.  Now all I get is the LCD backlight, but no splash screen or anything else--no other indicator lights and no sound.  I’ve removed all the PLG boards, but I still get the blank screen and unresponsive keyboard when powering on.  I assume it’s a hardware problem, but I wanted to ask if there’s anything I can do to help diagnose the problem before bringing it in for repair.

Thanks,
James

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2017 @ 08:19 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Remove any DIMMs.
Plug the ES into a known good source of power.
If it still behaves the same way, have it serviced.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2017 @ 03:21 AM
Nordlys
Total Posts:  240
Joined  07-25-2002
5pinDIN - 11 March 2017 08:19 AM

Remove any DIMMs.
Plug the ES into a known good source of power.
If it still behaves the same way, have it serviced.

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.  I removed the DIMM’s and have the same behaviour, and have been keeping it plugged into a Furman power conditioner so I assume the power source is not the problem.  Taking it in for servicing tomorrow.  It’s lasted almost 15 years, so I can’t really complain.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2017 @ 08:11 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Power conditioners aren’t immune to failure. Before assuming that the ES needs servicing, I would plug it directly into a wall outlet. If still non-operational, then of course that’s the time to have a technician take a look. After 15 years there may be some electrolytic capacitors that need replacement, or perhaps some connection problems (especially if the area is prone to humid/salt air).

[ Ignore ]