mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "About Power MAC G4 CUBE"

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 03:44 AM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

A friend gave me a Power MAC G4 CUBE as a gift. It has the cube, the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and ac adapter, I believe this computer came out about 10 or 12 years ago, it has the OSX 10.4.11, a Processor 450MHz, Power PC G4 Memory 832 MB SDRAM.

I was thinking of keeping it but I believe that for today’s standards it is completely obsolete because software these days require a lot of memory and processor capacity to work efficiently

But anyways just wanted to ask What would you guys do with it, sell it or keep it ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 06:13 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

There are a few sites with people still keeping the Power PC based macs alive as best they can, but since Apple moved over to Intel processors, at least a decade ago now, support started to phase out from then for pretty much everything Power PC wise.

As a home computer, you might still be able to check email and browse on it, but you will find that everything is old, doesn’t work and may have big security problems.

There’s a Firefox clone for Power PC called TenFourFox which works very nicely and is up to date, and flash has been hacked so it still just about works, You won’t be able to play HD movies on it but SD will be fine and video players like VLC still let you download legacy versions.

As for making music with it, you’ll have to download old versions of software and plug ins, in the same way, and it won’t offer you much in terms of power.

If you are considering it, I’d take Tiger off and put Leopard on it to 10.5.8, but to be honest with you, I wouldn’t bother with that mac now, it’s simply too much hassle.

It’s going to be much more trouble than you have time for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 08:07 PM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

Thank you very much for the info buddy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 08:19 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

No worries at all.