mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mac Sierra vs Yamaha Firewire Driver"

Posted on: October 16, 2016 @ 08:48 AM
alge
Total Posts:  4
Joined  07-18-2010

It is written as “Incompatible” in OS Sierra Compatibility 20160930 document for the latest “firewire driver 1.7.4” while using it with Mac OS Sierra 10.12

I was using the Steinberg MR816CSX and Yamaha Motif XS8 with FW connection , in order to have the fw connection opportunities with Cubase. So now without the support for a new FW driver , they became useless :(

Will there be a new driver from Yamaha to wait or is it wise to sell and buy a new machine ? Need your suggestions. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2016 @ 10:34 AM
tcamp
Total Posts:  40
Joined  07-10-2006

alge, a new FireWire driver (1.7.5) for the Mac supporting macOS Sierra was made available on he yamahasynth.com website on 10/19/16. I can’t attest to function with Cubase or your mixer, but I do know I lost FireWire integration on my XS8 when I upgraded to Sierra and the new driver fixes that. My current use cases use the XS with Native Instruments and Arturia AU plug ins along with Mainstage 3, I’d recommend downloading the new driver and seeing if this resolves the issues you are having. Prior to the new FireWire driver, I was able to compensate by reverting back to the USB driver, but now all is well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2016 @ 10:41 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
tcamp - 24 October 2016 10:34 AM

alge, a new FireWire driver (1.7.5) for the Mac supporting macOS Sierra was made available[...]

Download link:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/68394

Excerpt from the above…
Devices compatible with the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver include the following.
- Yamaha FW16E/mLAN16E2/n8/n12
- Steinberg MR816 CSX/MR816 X

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2016 @ 04:59 PM
alge
Total Posts:  4
Joined  07-18-2010

Thank you both for your help.
Yes, the new drive worked fine on MR816CSX.
I could not test it with my cubase because it also have similar sierra related problems.
-o-
As an advance to this subject, I have decided to upgrade my system and searched for alternatives. The best solution I have found is using a UAD Twin Duo thunderbold sound card.It has all the benefits of UAD plug-ins and an ADAT input for expanding multiple inputs digitally.

I have thought that I will not use my MR816 as a sound card, so i could use it as a digital mixer, infront of this UAD.
MR816 has delightfull mic-pre’s and a nice yamaha reverb. The analog inputs are routed to corresponding ADAT outs, also the spdif input routed to ADAT 7-8. So I can use MR as anolog & digital mixer.
I have so many keyboards and rack modules so I need some inputs for my patchbays.

MOTIF XS 8 has digital out (SPDIF) and MR has SPDIF input so i could use MOTIF all digital. The others will be analogs and pred & reverbed whenever necessary.

I have written this information just to give an idea.

Thanks again :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2016 @ 12:20 PM
hyland
Total Posts:  32
Joined  10-13-2012

Yamaha Steinberg Fw driver for Sierra, together with Motif XS on Macbook pro i7 make the fans run high and make the processor to work 10 % in idle state. With usb cable just around 2 %. Why?  Is it anybody how knows if it Yamaha or Steinberg how are the maker?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2016 @ 01:16 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Based on history, does anyone want to project an unsupported forecast of how long they think Yamaha will try to keep an active FW16e driver with the current Mac OS? I know it’s anyone’s guess, and history isn’t a good indicator.

I figure it’s as simple as:
one day, mac os will change something big enough, and the fw16e boards will be old enough, where Yamaha doesn’t want to pay enough to bother. And there are incremental changes, and then big changes. So, it’s all about the relative timings of all that. So, I guess, I’m just making small talk, :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2016 @ 03:02 PM
hyland
Total Posts:  32
Joined  10-13-2012

I hope you don´t have right

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Converting .X3V files to .XOA
Next Topic:

Steinberg FW driver Sierra ››